The Student Room Group

A2 AQA Geography GEOG 3 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 660
Original post by Druidruidrui
Does anyone have any predictions on the plate tectonics essay (I've heard many talk about a question involving plate tectonics theory but what would a possible question look like?), the ecosystems questions and the wold cities questions ?

I think ecosystem questions could be based around tropical ecosystem characteristics, adaptations etc , because its been mainly succession and local scale stuff for the last couple of years.
Reply 661
Original post by Druidruidrui
Does anyone have any predictions on the plate tectonics essay (I've heard many talk about a question involving plate tectonics theory but what would a possible question look like?), the ecosystems questions and the wold cities questions ?

For the plates essay, something like `how the plate tectonics theory has helped humans prepared for seismic events` could come up
(edited 7 years ago)
Okay thanks a lot guys, just wanted a good general idea
Predictions for conflicts 25 markers?
Original post by PEAK4U
For the plates essay, something like `how the plate tectonics theory has helped humans prepared for seismic events` could come up

How would you go about answering this one?
Does anyone have any ideas about what the tectonics 25 mark questions will be and the ecosystems 40 marker? thanks :smile:
Reply 666
Original post by Atomicmat
How would you go about answering this one?

- Explain plate tectonics theory (Wegeners theory ect ect)
- Developments in the theory helped us discover where volcanic and seismic events usually occur (near plate boundaries+ relate to ring of fire ect)
- Understanding this knowledge means we know seismic events take plate at constructive + destructive margins (explain what they are) thus we are more prepared because we know the generally at these locations (bring case studies at this point & compare and contrast MEDC & LEDC)
- Theory is more helpful to MEDC than LEDCs as they have better access to education (more people know able theory) and more money/resources thus are often better prepared

i could go on but you get the idea :smile:
For seismicity what case studies do you need? I'm unsure whether i need the boxing day tsunami as well as two earthquakes?

[QUOTE=PEAK4U;65443919]- Explain plate tectonics theory (Wegeners theory ect ect)
- Developments in the theory helped us discover where volcanic and seismic events usually occur (near plate boundaries+ relate to ring of fire ect)
- Understanding this knowledge means we know seismic events take plate at constructive + destructive margins (explain what they are) thus we are more prepared because we know the generally at these locations (bring case studies at this point & compare and contrast MEDC & LEDC)
- Theory is more helpful to MEDC than LEDCs as they have better access to education (more people know able theory) and more money/resources thus are often better prepared

Would you discuss the evidence of his theory? Or is that too irrelevant? I guess because without that we couldn't prepare for seismic events
Reply 669
Original post by downton-abbie
For seismicity what case studies do you need? I'm unsure whether i need the boxing day tsunami as well as two earthquakes?

For tectonics structured q's you are not required to have a case study for tsunamis because it's not on the spec. It's always good to have a few facts though to boost your mark!
Reply 670
Original post by SJJ97
I doubt it will be just on urbanisation... It will most likely be planning and managment which takes in to account urbanisation

I mean like suburbanisation/counter urbanisation etc etc.

I really hope not, as the past two World Cities essay questions have been on fairly similar topics.
Reply 671
Original post by cmcl
I mean like suburbanisation/counter urbanisation etc etc.

I really hope not, as the past two World Cities essay questions have been on fairly similar topics.

What would the question your thinking of be like and I will do a plan for you!
Original post by CLGC98
Can someone doing WORLD CITIES tell me if i need any other case studies?

Urbanisation- Mumbai
Suburbanisation- Surbiton,London
Counter-urbanisation- St Ives, Cambridgeshire
Re-urbanisation- London Docklands
Gentrification- Notting Hill
Partnerships- Hulme City Challenge
Property-led- London Thames Gateway
OOT retailing - Trafford Centre
Urban Centres- Manchester City Centre
Sustainable Waste- Curitiba
Sustainable Transport- Curitiba?

for examples of roles of world cities - London, New York and Tokyo examples as well
Planning and management - Mumbai as well
Reply 673
Original post by SJJ97
What would the question your thinking of be like and I will do a plan for you!

Perhaps something along the lines of "Outline and evaluate the 4 urban processes and the impacts they can have with reference to examples".

A very lame attempt but oh well :tongue:

Thanks by the way!
Original post by Lavender26
The tectonics 40m is still most likely to be about plate tectonic theory so don't worry too much. For the nature of hazards question you would do
1-intro- define etc
2-how eqs and volcanoes are similar-plate margins (plate tectonic theory, constructive,destructive etc)
3-how they differ- location- volcanoes -can tell where are(however Iceland effected whole air space) eqs-hard to predict exact location, tsunamis-constricted to oceans but effect the most areas
4-how they are similar - MEDCS more able than LEDCs to manage impacts
5-different-Both contain different anomalies to plate tectonic theory
Volcanoes- hotspots
EQs-intraplate eqs
6-conclusion - same origin (tectonics) different outcome and effect on population
Hope this helps! - please add to this plan and upgrade/change it so we can get the best model answe possible!

I would hate a 40 marker on that - would probably not do it :|
how can volcanoes tell you where you are?
Original post by Hesterrose
what is the definition of a hazard?

A threat that has the potential to cause loss of life, socio-economic disruption and environmental degradation.
Original post by tcameron
A threat that has the potential to cause loss of life, socio-economic disruption and environmental degradation.

thank you!!
Original post by Lavender26
25 markers (short questions)
Ecosystems
"Outline the structure/nature of an Eco-system"
'Outline The relationships between human activity, biodiversity and sustainability
Suggest and explain changes on the rural urban fringe

World cities
'Explain Planning and management issues using Contrasting case studies within countries at different levels of economic development to demonstrate the above'
Suggest how partnership schemes between the local and national government have reduced urban decline
Outline and explain reasons for The global pattern: millionaire cities, mega cities and world cities.
D and G
Outline and explain reasons for Growth in the 21st century the impact of new markets and new technologies (for example in Brazil, Russia and oil-producing countries
Outline The concept of the North/South divide, and its relationship to the development continuum
Explain how factors and dimensions: owsof capital, labour, products and services; global marketing; patterns of production, distribution and consumption have aided globalisation
“Economic sustainability versus environmental sustainability- discuss
“Sustainable tourism, myth or reality”.-discuss

Tectonics 40- compare and contrast the nature of volcanic hazards with seismic hazards

They questions are taken directly off the specification and are highly likely to come up next week.
If you plan or answer one please post the answer on here so we can work through the questions together.
I would really like someone to answer the first ecosystems question, the first wc question and first d and g question please!
Hope these help you guys!
Good luck!

for the tectonics one - where in the spec do we need to compare volcanic hazards with seismic hazards?
Reply 678
Original post by cmcl
Perhaps something along the lines of "Outline and evaluate the 4 urban processes and the impacts they can have with reference to examples".

A very lame attempt but oh well :tongue:

Thanks by the way!

Hahahah I know what you mean but truthfully I doubt that will be a question, like I said planning and managment takes in to account all 4 of those processes so focus on that!
Original post by PEAK4U
- Explain plate tectonics theory (Wegeners theory ect ect)

for earthquakes - because theyre hard to predict how would we be able to compare the preparation in a developed and developing country?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending