The Student Room Group

AQA B2 - Mitosis and Meiosis

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AfcFob
Haha yeah I'm in Y12 and you'll love the A-Level the content is so interesting, much more interesting than the GCSE

Yh I think I will, thanks.
Reply 21
Original post by 1jonam16
Yh I think I will, thanks.

You're welcome:h:

If you ever struggle with anything you can PM me
We got taught all this stuff about spindle fibres and centrioles or something and names of phases (metaphase etc) but it's not necessary so none of it is in my revision notes.

The only thing we need to know is:

c) When a body cell divides by mitosis:
copies of the genetic material are made
then the cell divides once to form two genetically identical body cells.

h) When a cell divides to form gametes:
copies of the genetic information are made
then the cell divides twice to form four gametes, each with a single set of chromosomes.

They wouldn't include something so far off the spec in the exam. :smile:
Original post by AfcFob
You're welcome:h:

If you ever struggle with anything you can PM me

Thanks a lot :smile:
No you don't need to know the stages, it specifically says not to. You need to know what they are for though.

However, in the B1 spec it says 'you do not need to know the functions of nutrients in the body' and then it was a 6 marker :smile:
Reply 25
Original post by AfcFob
I love it it is my favourite subject but there is a lot of
content to learn so you have to be prepared to really work in your free periods but I'm telling you it's so worth it because it's so interesting!!

I'm excited for it ☺️ but I guess I have to get thorough GCSEs first haha 🙄. Im scared because I'm taking A level biology, psychology and chemistry and feel I'll struggle. I'm highly motivated to work hard but know it's going to be a step up. Any tips for starting A levels?
Reply 26
Original post by jazz_xox_
No you don't need to know the stages, it specifically says not to. You need to know what they are for though.

However, in the B1 spec it says 'you do not need to know the functions of nutrients in the body' and then it was a 6 marker :smile:

I'm definitely learning it in that case thanks, 😂this enlightened me to how mean the exam board can be. 😭😂
Reply 27
Original post by Lea170
I'm excited for it ☺️ but I guess I have to get thorough GCSEs first haha 🙄. Im scared because I'm taking A level biology, psychology and chemistry and feel I'll struggle. I'm highly motivated to work hard but know it's going to be a step up. Any tips for starting A levels?

Use your free periods to WORK not chill, once you've done a topic in bio&chem write revision notes and I would recommend to not do psychology as it is NOT the subject everyone tells you it is
Original post by surina16
We got taught all this stuff about spindle fibres and centrioles or something and names of phases (metaphase etc) but it's not necessary so none of it is in my revision notes.

The only thing we need to know is:

c) When a body cell divides by mitosis:
copies of the genetic material are made
then the cell divides once to form two genetically identical body cells.

h) When a cell divides to form gametes:
copies of the genetic information are made
then the cell divides twice to form four gametes, each with a single set of chromosomes.

They wouldn't include something so far off the spec in the exam. :smile:

Yeah, I'm confused... What is everyone talking about on this thread, what you have pasted is all I have learnt lol.. :biggrin:
Original post by romansholiday
Yeah, I'm confused... What is everyone talking about on this thread, what you have pasted is all I have learnt lol.. :biggrin:

just some basic terminology we may need to know, you never know.
Reply 30
Original post by AfcFob
Use your free periods to WORK not chill, once you've done a topic in bio&chem write revision notes and I would recommend to not do psychology as it is NOT the subject everyone tells you it is

Definitely going to use free periods to do work. What have people said about sociology? And how many hours of work do you think you approximately do at home for your subjects?
Original post by Lea170
Definitely going to use free periods to do work. What have people said about sociology? And how many hours of work do you think you approximately do at home for your subjects?

AFC fob is selling you dreams biology is a load of :yawn: crap, and I still do it
Reply 32
Original post by Lea170

All of my friends love sociology and it ranges, I do a few hours a week for each subject usually

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending