The Student Room Group

A2 AQA Geography GEOG 3 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tcameron
for earthquakes - because theyre hard to predict how would we be able to compare the preparation in a developed and developing country?

Well, developed countries like Japan will have more 'earthquake-proof' buildings as they can afford to use technologies such as counterbalance weights to counteract earthquakes when they do happen. They can also afford to retrofit older buildings to make them more secure. Building codes mean that the quality of building is much better and more likely to survive an earthquake.
Also, education - in Japan, they have an earthquake day (if I recall correctly), in which workers and school children practise an earthquake drill.

Whereas, in countries like Haiti = poorly constructed buildings due to lack of regulation. Can't afford to build better quality housing etc.
How would you answer this???

'Explain Planning and management issues using Contrasting case studies within countries at different levels of economic development to demonstrate the above'
Original post by Peppercrunch
Well, developed countries like Japan will have more 'earthquake-proof' buildings as they can afford to use technologies such as counterbalance weights to counteract earthquakes when they do happen. They can also afford to retrofit older buildings to make them more secure. Building codes mean that the quality of building is much better and more likely to survive an earthquake.
Also, education - in Japan, they have an earthquake day (if I recall correctly), in which workers and school children practise an earthquake drill.

Whereas, in countries like Haiti = poorly constructed buildings due to lack of regulation. Can't afford to build better quality housing etc.

But the earthquake day was after the 1995 earthquake and they updated their building codes after the earthquake - isn't that responses after the earthquake hit not preparation?
so really the only thing to mention as preparation was the buildings
I guess you could then mention the Tohoku 2011 earthquake where no buildings collapsed in kobe so the lessons from1995 earthquake was a preparation for this one
Reply 683
Original post by Atomicmat
How would you answer this???

'Explain Planning and management issues using Contrasting case studies within countries at different levels of economic development to demonstrate the above'

MEDCS- regeneration schemes to influence people back to urban areas due to the being run down eg Hulme (go in to detail how!)
LEDCS- regeneration to solve urbanisation (Mumbai- detail)
MEDC- cope with waste managment eg landfills/ recycle/ re use
LEDC- waste management scheme- Curituba....

Basically compare how LEDCS and MEDCS cope differently... Compare case studies!!
Original post by SJJ97
MEDCS- regeneration schemes to influence people back to urban areas due to the being run down eg Hulme (go in to detail how!)
LEDCS- regeneration to solve urbanisation (Mumbai- detail)
MEDC- cope with waste managment eg landfills/ recycle/ re use
LEDC- waste management scheme- Curituba....

Basically compare how LEDCS and MEDCS cope differently... Compare case studies!!

Thanks! Is this supposed to be a 10 marker??
Reply 685
Thanks! Is this supposed to be a 10 marker??

It could be a 40 marker... Because in theory your using 4 case studies... It's easier then it looks! Give it a try and then if you need help I could do you a proper plan?
Original post by SJJ97
It could be a 40 marker... Because in theory your using 4 case studies... It's easier then it looks! Give it a try and then if you need help I could do you a proper plan?

Thank you! Well I'm actually doing either plate tectonics or ecosystems essay so, is there much point doing this? Could it be a 10 marker in any way?
Reply 687
Thank you! Well I'm actually doing either plate tectonics or ecosystems essay so, is there much point doing this? Could it be a 10 marker in any way?

Oh okay and no I wouldn't have thought
Reply 688
Are globalisation and development short question prediction

LEDC
Development continuum
Sustain tourism myth and reality

Anything else?
Reply 689
Is there a unit 4a thread ?
But the earthquake day was after the 1995 earthquake and they updated their building codes after the earthquake - isn't that responses after the earthquake hit not preparation?
so really the only thing to mention as preparation was the buildings
I guess you could then mention the Tohoku 2011 earthquake where no buildings collapsed in kobe so the lessons from1995 earthquake was a preparation for this one

The buildings and the drill are pretty much all the prep that can be done to be honest, since earthquakes can't exactly be predicted.

The building codes, you could say it's preparation for the 2011 earthquake, but say it was also a response to the Kobe earthquake. So, it works both ways.
This article is quite useful for a brief summary (I used it for my case study of a MEDC seismic event):

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/japan/8375591/Japan-earthquake-country-better-prepared-than-anyone-for-quakes-and-tsunamis.html
Original post by SJJ97
Oh okay and no I wouldn't have thought

Hmm, but it was in the last that another user posted from the specification, and it was a list of 8/10 markers I thought
Reply 692
Hmm, but it was in the last that another user posted from the specification, and it was a list of 8/10 markers I thought

Let me look
Reply 693
for the tectonics one - where in the spec do we need to compare volcanic hazards with seismic hazards?

The 21th century question on development and globalisation came up in 2014... I doubt it will come up again?
Original post by 142701
For tectonics structured q's you are not required to have a case study for tsunamis because it's not on the spec. It's always good to have a few facts though to boost your mark!

Thank you so much, very relieved I don't have to learn yet another case study 😂
Original post by downton-abbie
Thank you so much, very relieved I don't have to learn yet another case study 😂
It does help to have a brief understanding of a Tsunami event (not too in-depth) - you could use it to just expand upon any question/essay concerning seismic activity.
Original post by Domers_
It does help to have a brief understanding of a Tsunami event (not too in-depth) - you could use it to just expand upon any question/essay concerning seismic activity.

Yeah we learned about the Boxing Day tsunami in class so I know it roughly! I'll learn a couple of figures! Thank you for your help ☺️
Reply 697
Original post by SJJ97
Are globalisation and development short question prediction

LEDC
Development continuum
Sustain tourism myth and reality

Anything else?

what could the ledc and continuum questions look like?
any predictions for the essay? :smile:
Original post by SJJ97
Let me look

? :colondollar:
Reply 699
? :colondollar:

That's question was a 40 marker so it won't be a 10... I don't what there on about hahaha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending