The Student Room Group

Kaplan UKCAT course

I have the Kaplan UKCAT course next Saturday and Sunday.
And I was wondering - is it actually any good?
How many people are there per class?
Also because mine is so early - do you think i'll 'forget' everything I've learnt before i actually sit the exam (or am i being really paranoid for no reason)

https://www.kaptest.co.uk/ukcat/course
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by greys-anatomy
Also because mine is so early - do you think i'll 'forget' everything I've learnt before i actually sit the exam (or am i being really paranoid for no reason)

Good question^

I am in similar position but won't attend course. I will purchase their website for a week I think to just do revision.

Is the course really that beneficial?
Original post by ....Jeff458
Good question^

I am in similar position but won't attend course. I will purchase their website for a week I think to just do revision.

Is the course really that beneficial?

I mean from all their testimonials all the past students seem to have got >750
But then again they're probably only choosing their top students.

Are you not attending because of the cost or because you just don't see it as any more beneficial than doing online tests?
(edited 5 years ago)
I mean from all their testimonials all the past students seem to have got >750
But then again they're probably only choosing their top students.

Are you not attending because of the cost or because you just don't see it as any more beneficial than doing online tests?

I THINK THE EXACT SAME! I believe they just picked top students too.

I don't want to attend because I don't see it any more beneficial than online tests. Plus it's not worth the cost but I am sure my parents would be happy to pay for it if I asked but I see it as a waste.

I'm just concerned that it isn't as beneficial? What about you?

Because I am aiming for like the 700's in each category so the courses look really good but could be a waste :frown:
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by ....Jeff458
I THINK THE EXACT SAME! I believe they just picked top students too.

I don't want to attend because I don't see it any more beneficial than online tests. Plus it's not worth the cost but I am sure my parents would be happy to pay for it if I asked but I see it as a waste.

I'm just concerned that it isn't as beneficial? What about you?

Because I am aiming for like the 700's in each category so the courses look really good but could be a waste :frown:

Yeah same boat here - my parents have kinda really encouraged me to go on the UKCAT and BMAT course (don't have the heart to tell them I'm not applying to UCL or Imperial yet lmao their expectations) so i kinda just agreed.

But the only thing is that if i ended up not going on the course and ended up getting a low score, i know I wouldve blamed it on me not doing the KAPLAN course - and i dont wanna risk it haha.

Maybe after next week I can tell you how it went, incase you still wanna go for a later date?

ALTHOUGH, when i signed up they did post me some amazing UKCAT practise book (but it doesn't look much different from the 600 UKCAT question books) - the downside was that this 50 page book cost like 70 quid smh
(edited 5 years ago)

Hi, I went to UKCAT course last year with Kaplan. I can't remember exactly how many people there were per class (probably of 15 ish) but this is a very rough estimate.
Also yes, I think the course is good. When I did my Kaplan course I had already done quite a bit of UKCAT revision so I knew a bit about what I was getting into. I think they go through each of the sections quite well and give you a good introduction into it. The most beneficial thing, I found, that I got from the course was the extra questions that you get access to by doing the course. I am not sure if its the same this year but last year we got to 6 extra practice tests which was really useful for developing your skills and timing, in addition to the other practice tests you'll do. And also, you probably shouldn't 'forget' anything as long as you do little bit of practice consistently up until your test, you should be able to continue to develop your skills.
The course alone, I don't think, made a huge impact on my performance, I think the most important thing with UKCAT is timing, skill and technique and strategy (which they do teach you at the course) but you also mainly develop and improve through doing your extra practice too!
I hope this is helps! :smile: xx
(edited 5 years ago)
Yeah same boat here - my parents have kinda really encouraged me to go on the UKCAT and BMAT course (don't have the heart to tell them I'm not applying to UCL or Imperial yet lmao their expectations) so i kinda just agreed.

But the only thing is that if i ended up not going on the course and ended up getting a low score, i know I wouldve blamed it on me not doing the KAPLAN course - and i dont wanna risk it haha.

Maybe after next week I can tell you how it went, incase you still wanna go for a later date?

ALTHOUGH, when i signed up they did post me some amazing UKCAT practise book (but it doesn't look much different from the 600 UKCAT question books) - the downside was that this 50 page book cost like 70 quid smh

Hahaha, I'm sure you would get in :smile:

Yeah lemme know how it goes please

What book was it if you don't mind me asking?
Lol everyone who goes to these courses is just burning money. You must be incredibly desperate to fall for these course scams. They're not going to give you the skills for a test you can't revise for in 1-2 days. This is a lifelong development of skills they test you cannot just overnight 'revise' for these like you can at GCSE/A level.
Reply 8
I went for the 2 day course and the course itself is good. But it's the practice papers they give you after which are invaluable and so useful, I improved so much from getting 600 before the course to 690 in the actual thing. I would 100% recommend it
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Ramighanem98
I went for the 2 day course and the course itself is good. But it's the practice papers they give you after which are invaluable and so useful, I improved so much from getting 600 before the course to 690 in the actual thing. I would 100% recommend it

Thanks so much man - how many people were there in your class?

Well done on your score, you did so well! :biggrin:

Did you sit the exam at the end on the summer holidays or in sept/oct time?
Reply 10
Thanks so much man - how many people were there in your class?

Well done on your score, you did so well! :biggrin:

Did you sit the exam at the end on the summer holidays or in sept/oct time?

Thanks. There were about 20 of us. I took the course in late July. I went on summer holiday, got my AS results and then started revising after results day and I took the exam in mid-september so school warmed my brain up but not so I was having to neglect serious school work.
Thanks. There were about 20 of us. I took the course in late July. I went on summer holiday, got my AS results and then started revising after results day and I took the exam in mid-september so school warmed my brain up but not so I was having to neglect serious school work.

Damn their big class sizes tbh haha
So i guess you're studying medicine/dentistry atm?
Reply 12
Damn their big class sizes tbh haha
So i guess you're studying medicine/dentistry atm?

No, doing my A2s and hopefully I will be doing medicine at uea in september. Notice that I said hopefully :smile:
No, doing my A2s and hopefully I will be doing medicine at uea in september. Notice that I said hopefully :smile:

Haha I'm sure that you'll get your grades :smile:
How did you do at AS?
I did this course last year and the class size was around 15. I got 702.5 band 1 and It was a good introduction to the format of the ukcat and I found their advice about timings quite useful. It was nothing special, all the information they gave you could probably find online but it was a good confidence boost because I felt like I had a solid foundation of knowledge. The online resources are really useful-better than any books because it's similar to the real exam. Overall, it's overpriced but a decent course. Be sure not to get complacent and think that you'll automatically get a good score from using exclusively kaplan resources because a few friends I know who did this course still got below 600. I would recommend using books for practice and also get medify around 2 weeks before the real exam because it helped me improve my score a lot. Don't overdo it with the preparation though, ultimately staying calm and perfecting the timings will help the most. Don't get bogged down over one question, move on if it's taking longer than what kaplan suggest spending on the question. Good luck everyone!
Original post by Hopefulmedicesty
Hi, I went to UKCAT course last year with Kaplan. I can't remember exactly how many people there were per class (probably of 15 ish) but this is a very rough estimate.
Also yes, I think the course is good. When I did my Kaplan course I had already done quite a bit of UKCAT revision so I knew a bit about what I was getting into. I think they go through each of the sections quite well and give you a good introduction into it. The most beneficial thing, I found, that I got from the course was the extra questions that you get access to by doing the course. I am not sure if its the same this year but last year we got to 6 extra practice tests which was really useful for developing your skills and timing, in addition to the other practice tests you'll do. And also, you probably shouldn't 'forget' anything as long as you do little bit of practice consistently up until your test, you should be able to continue to develop your skills.
The course alone, I don't think, made a huge impact on my performance, I think the most important thing with UKCAT is timing, skill and technique and strategy (which they do teach you at the course) but you also mainly develop and improve through doing your extra practice too!
I hope this is helps! :smile: xx

Thanks so much for this! sorry for the late reply -only saw this now haha
How did you do in the end? Have you got an offer atm? :smile:
thanks again :smile:
Original post by mariapops
I did this course last year and the class size was around 15. I got 702.5 band 1 and It was a good introduction to the format of the ukcat and I found their advice about timings quite useful. It was nothing special, all the information they gave you could probably find online but it was a good confidence boost because I felt like I had a solid foundation of knowledge. The online resources are really useful-better than any books because it's similar to the real exam. Overall, it's overpriced but a decent course. Be sure not to get complacent and think that you'll automatically get a good score from using exclusively kaplan resources because a few friends I know who did this course still got below 600. I would recommend using books for practice and also get medify around 2 weeks before the real exam because it helped me improve my score a lot. Don't overdo it with the preparation though, ultimately staying calm and perfecting the timings will help the most. Don't get bogged down over one question, move on if it's taking longer than what kaplan suggest spending on the question. Good luck everyone!

Thanks so much! you did amazing well done!
Do you think maybe an hour a day will be enough?
Thanks so much! you did amazing well done!
Do you think maybe an hour a day will be enough?

Definitely! How long before your exam do you intend to start preparing?

That reasoning would only make sense if you had taken an exam of similar difficulty before the preparation. I bet Kaplan deliberately give you a harder exam at the start so you score low and you can be eternally grateful to them for improving your score.

There aren't that many techniques to learn. you just need to practise a lot and books should be enough
(edited 7 years ago)
Thanks so much for this! sorry for the late reply -only saw this now haha
How did you do in the end? Have you got an offer atm? :smile:
thanks again :smile:

Heya! I ended up getting 677.5 which I was super happy with and yes I have an offer :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending