The Student Room Group

WJEC AS ICT Exam 6th June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by ZainF123
Ha's anyone done any concise good noted on all the acts. Like the Data Protection Act, Computer Misuse act, Copyright Act, Electronic Communication Act, and any others. Thanx

I've attached my notes for the Acts here.
I've included additional Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act, Electronic Communication Act and Freedom of Information Act as you wanted.

However, keep in mind that WJEC would only ask for Data Protection Act, Computer Misuse Act and the Copyright, Design and Patent Act.
Original post by AA923
and what mark out of 80 Are you guys aiming for and what do u realistically think you will get ?

80 no reason why not. If not 80 then enough marks for 120 ums. Wjec will probably find something wrong
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 142
Original post by PedanticStudent
80 no reason why not. If not 80 then enough marks for 120 ums. Wjec will probably find something wrong

Full ums is incredibly difficult lol. No one got higher than a B in the exam last year in my college although some of us got A overall. I got 167/200
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 143
[QUOTE="emanny;65450795"]Full ums is incredibly difficult lol. No one got higher than a B in the exam last year in my college although some of us got A overall. I got 167/200[/QUOTE

but.... but..... wasn't last years paper easy ??
Original post by emanny
Full ums is incredibly difficult lol. No one got higher than a B in the exam last year in my college although some of us got A overall. I got 167/200

If my past paper marks are anything to go by, it is definitely doable. The way the boundaries were last year, I don't understand why so many people didn't get 120UMS. The examiners are lazy so if they see the mark scheme written on your paper then they will be happy because they can bomb through it just ticking away without much thought lol.

What will be will be however. We shall see in august.
Original post by AA923

Last year's paper is piss. The reason why people did so bad is because they did not read the question. they wanted you to arrange your answers in a very different way last year but with a thorough reading, you would have done very well. Plenty of mistakes could have been made and still you would have had the chance of full ums. Last year's boundaries are the lowest they have ever been at 72/80 for 120ums.

Let last year be a lesson to all of us to read the question and fully understand what the wjec want in regard to an answer. Tread carefully.

The first four marks of section b was worded so poorly too so most people got like 2/4 for that. I'm hoping this year there will be weather forecasting.
(edited 7 years ago)
Has anyone got notes for the use of ICT in entertainment. The notes I have are quite poor pros/cons area.
Original post by owenevans08
Has anyone got notes for the use of ICT in entertainment. The notes I have are quite poor pros/cons area.

Have you seen the January 2014 mark scheme? That provides a relatively decent overview and gives you all you need.
Have you seen the January 2014 mark scheme? That provides a relatively decent overview and gives you all you need.

I haven't, out of all the mark schemes I have for past papers that's the only one I don't have.
Reply 149

tbh I dont get what you mean the 2015 questions seemed normal to me ... without even the layout od the questions I swear people blindly answered it or HCI at the start just ruined the brains of people at the start of the paper
Original post by owenevans08
I haven't, out of all the mark schemes I have for past papers that's the only one I don't have.

Here you go

https://www.jacktilson.uk/edu/ict/markschemes/winter-2014.pdf
Reply 152
[QUOTE="AA923;65450987"]
Original post by emanny
Full ums is incredibly difficult lol. No one got higher than a B in the exam last year in my college although some of us got A overall. I got 167/200[/QUOTE

If my past paper marks are anything to go by, it is definitely doable. The way the boundaries were last year, I don't understand why so many people didn't get 120UMS. The examiners are lazy so if they see the mark scheme written on your paper then they will be happy because they can bomb through it just ticking away without much thought lol.

What will be will be however. We shall see in august.

Lol people thought the exam was easy last year as well, until you get the results. If the grade boundaries are low that means on average people found it difficult. If it was easy the grade boundaries would be high. I was only 5 raw marks off an A in the exam but got an A overall.Full UMS at AS doesn't account for much anyway, as long as you get an A overall you're on for an A* for the full A level. But best of luck to everyone.
Original post by AA923
tbh I dont get what you mean the 2015 questions seemed normal to me ... without even the layout od the questions I swear people blindly answered it or HCI at the start just ruined the brains of people at the start of the paper

With ICT it is easy to become complacent and not even read the question, just see a few words such as
'expert system' 'components' 'advantages' 'disadvantages' and dive straight in. So yeah maybe people did just answer it blindly. My teacher tells me a similar reason too.

There will be a few oddball marks without a doubt ie: 2-5 marks worth of some unfamiliar question:

Summer 2015 - Game playing device HCI
Summer 2014 - Advantages/Disadvantages of CAD,,, absolute cell referencing
Winter 2014 - Loyalty Cards

are just a few examples, there has been a pattern of something new appearing each time.
Reply 154
[QUOTE="emanny;65451991"]
Original post by AA923

Lol people thought the exam was easy last year as well, until you get the results. If the grade boundaries are low that means on average people found it difficult. If it was easy the grade boundaries would be high. I was only 5 raw marks off an A in the exam but got an A overall.Full UMS at AS doesn't account for much anyway, as long as you get an A overall you're on for an A* for the full A level. But best of luck to everyone.

Did u memorise each mark scheme from 2009-2015 properly ?
Original post by AA923

Only gotta learn from 2011 onwards really, though it helps to have an idea of what the others look like i suppose.
Reply 156
well you know that cad cam question which was new it was in the 2006-2007 or 2008 papers exact same question
Reply 157
[QUOTE="AA923;65452081"]
Original post by emanny

It was probably a month or a bit more before i realized the textbook was useless so probably not everything but i knew enough. You'll probably have noticed that the mark schemes changes constantly anyway. I'm not trying to knock you down but don't go into the exam thinking it's easy just cause ICT is practically a memory test. Anyway good luck.
[QUOTE="emanny;65452287"]
Original post by AA923

It was probably a month or a bit more before i realized the textbook was useless so probably not everything but i knew enough. You'll probably have noticed that the mark schemes changes constantly anyway. I'm not trying to knock you down but don't go into the exam thinking it's easy just cause ICT is practically a memory test. Anyway good luck.

I agree. Technique and understanding where the marks come from is just as important as remembering the content.
Reply 159
[QUOTE="PedanticStudent;65452391"]
Original post by emanny

I agree. Technique and understanding where the marks come from is just as important as remembering the content.

but if you revise markscheme you already know where the marks are awarded ... that's the point of the markscheme, I personally think people maybe spent more time revising for their other subjects... now that there are new A levels and people only have this ICT as an AS/A level more people might be ready for it

Quick Reply