The Student Room Group

Edexcel Government & Politics - Unit 1 06/06/16

Scroll to see replies

Reply 440
Evening,

Don't really have the time to be looking through this whole thread but has an exemplar structure been released on 25 markers on here? This is my retake and I've mostly forgotten how to answer them efficiently to get the full monty (25/25).

Ta,
Joe
Reply 441
Also, anyone worked out what the questions on Democracy/Elections and Parties are likely to be this year?

Had some bloke on the thread for Unit 2 last year complete a massive colour coded excel sheet based upon likely-hood of certain questions coming up and it helped me get 95% which was lovely. Long shot but has anyone done the same?

Joe again.
Reply 442
Thanks Molly
Reply 443
Original post by DrDobbs
Also, anyone worked out what the questions on Democracy/Elections and Parties are likely to be this year?

Had some bloke on the thread for Unit 2 last year complete a massive colour coded excel sheet based upon likely-hood of certain questions coming up and it helped me get 95% which was lovely. Long shot but has anyone done the same?

Joe again.

that would be so helpful haha
Original post by DrDobbs
Evening,

Don't really have the time to be looking through this whole thread but has an exemplar structure been released on 25 markers on here? This is my retake and I've mostly forgotten how to answer them efficiently to get the full monty (25/25).

Ta,
Joe

There's not really a specific structure as its dependent on the question...obvious an intro and conclusion, if it's an argument essay then do 4 paragraphs and then internally argue your points in each paragraph so one for and one against in one paragraph x4
If it's for say an electoral question about how electoral systems have different outcomes then maybe do 3 paragraphs explaining differences and one explaining the similarities...you just have to engage with the question and be flexible like others said before
For top marks you just really need to be consistent with examples and even more so with contemporary examples that will help you go a long way ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pato1
Thanks Molly

No problemo 😁

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 446
dumb question but how would you structure an intro and a conclusion
Original post by DrDobbs

Joe again.

That would be bloody useful however I haven't come across any...my teacher has looked into past exams and what's been mentioned in previous politics review as well as the revision conventions they have each year and he's got some potential questions..some may be more of a potential than others but at least it's a solid bet, the smaller answer questions for unit 1 I have aren't probably very accurate as there's so many things that could be asked
Attachment not found
Attachment not found
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1465077780.918021.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dmy15
dumb question but how would you structure an intro and a conclusion

In the intro always define the key word in the question and then LOCATE THE DEBATE...what I mean by that is just show the market that you understand there's usually two sides to the question they're asking..I usually go for something like... 'Commentators argue that .... Or ....' That's just a basic structure, it should only be 3/4 sentences max
For the conclusion you just wanna sum up your best points and well..come to a judgement if it's a to an extent question..those are the basics

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 449
can't we merge the threads together

its annoying that there are like 3 threads...
Original post by xxvine
can't we merge the threads together

its annoying that there are like 3 threads...

How do we do that

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 451
Original post by DrDobbs

Joe again.

Democracy guess based on every question so far.:

(5)
Outline key features of a referendum
or
Define Direct democracy

(10)
3 things UK's political system does which would associate it with democracy
or
Arguments against digital democracy/lowering voting age
or
3 criticisms of uk's democracy

(25)
Should referendums be greater used in the uk
or
how and why should democracy be enhanced in the uk?
Reply 452
Original post by mollyadtr
That would be bloody useful however I haven't come across any...my teacher has looked into past exams and what's been mentioned in previous politics review as well as the revision conventions they have each year and he's got some potential questions..some may be more of a potential than others but at least it's a solid bet, the smaller answer questions for unit 1 I have aren't probably very accurate as there's so many things that could be asked
Attachment not found
Attachment not found
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1465077780.918021.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

The screenshot for Unit 1 isn't working I'm afraid.
How do we do that

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wasn't going to go back and quote but thanks so much for the political review, you are a God 🙏 For democracy could be something about participation crisis or direct democracy (inc referendums). For elections, proportional representations probably. For political parties something about the Tories (Thatcher) /Labour (New Labour). For Pressure groups; importance/strength of pressure groups or how does size reflect success.

All 25 markers, hope they're right
Original post by DrDobbs
The screenshot for Unit 1 isn't working I'm afraid.

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1465078733.052337.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1465078742.185568.jpg
Any luck?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 455
There's not really a specific structure as its dependent on the question...obvious an intro and conclusion, if it's an argument essay then do 4 paragraphs and then internally argue your points in each paragraph so one for and one against in one paragraph x4
If it's for say an electoral question about how electoral systems have different outcomes then maybe do 3 paragraphs explaining differences and one explaining the similarities...you just have to engage with the question and be flexible like others said before
For top marks you just really need to be consistent with examples and even more so with contemporary examples that will help you go a long way ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you.

So how would you differ you answers in structure if the question comes in the format of:

1. "To what extent.."
2. "Should...(referendums be more widely used in the UK"
3. "Assess the various measures..."
Reply 456
Original post by Pato1
Democracy guess based on every question so far.:

(5)
Outline key features of a referendum
or
Define Direct democracy

(10)
3 things UK's political system does which would associate it with democracy
or
Arguments against digital democracy/lowering voting age
or

(25)
Should referendums be greater used in the uk
or

i would have that question

so say things like changing the electoral system, reforming hold, lowering the voting age....?
do we counter argue?
Reply 457

Working, thank you.
Original post by alevelpain
Wasn't going to go back and quote but thanks so much for the political review, you are a God 🙏 For democracy could be something about participation crisis or direct democracy (inc referendums). For elections, proportional representations probably. For political parties something about the Tories (Thatcher) /Labour (New Labour). For Pressure groups; importance/strength of pressure groups or how does size reflect success.

All 25 markers, hope they're right

Yeah those could defiantly be possibilities! For the democracy, direct democracy involving referendums could definitely be a shot, I was even thinking maybe how referendums aid representative democracy but I can't remember the last time it came up

And no problem, there was a whole essay plan on 'are civil liberties under threat in the U.K.' But I hate that unit so much so I tore it out however I've got the essay plan for it as we did it in class if you did want it 😁

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 459
Original post by pato1
democracy guess based on every question so far.:

(5)
outline key features of a referendum
or
define direct democracy

(10)
3 things uk's political system does which would associate it with democracy
or
arguments against digital democracy/lowering voting age
or

(25)
should referendums be greater used in the uk
or

thank you pato.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending