The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Chemistry Exams -6CH04 (14th June) and 6CH05 (22nd June) Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

Not too sure about part ei unfortunately.

However, for part fi), I would think back to unit 4...a certain reaction involving electrophilic addition?? Ring any bells?
Original post by samb1234
Yeah unit 5 has way way too much content in it unfortunately, i've literally spent like 75% of the last week or so just on unit 5 so hopefully will be fine but gonna need to shift my priorities a bit I think lol. What are you doing at uni? Some form of engineering/physics type thing i'm guessing

Haha, at least you've spent some time on it - I have a lot to do. xD If I get about 86 on FP2 I should have the A* so I'll basically be done worrying about maths.

Yep, engineering. Thermodynamics and kinetics I'll still need. The organic stuff, not so much
Reply 222
Original post by Don Pedro K.
Not too sure about part ei unfortunately.

However, for part fi), I would think back to unit 4...a certain reaction involving electrophilic addition?? Ring any bells?

So for d) i have that its a 2:1 ratio and i know that adding hydrogen to an alkene forms an alkane, i just don't get how that first bit of information links to the second bit

For fi i totally misread the question and thought it was trying to link to the previous parts >.<. I guess the nucleophilic addition of hydrogen cyanide will suffice for this question.
Original post by ST_123
So for d) i have that its a 2:1 ratio and i know that adding hydrogen to an alkene forms an alkane, i just don't get how that first bit of information links to the second bit

For fi i totally misread the question and thought it was trying to link to the previous parts >.<. I guess the nucleophilic addition of hydrogen cyanide will suffice for this question.

Yep, 2:1 ratio for hydrogen gas: carvone is correct. Now look at carvone; it's got two C=C double bonds. What do you think is going to happen when it's reacted with hydrogen gas then?
Reply 224
Yep, 2:1 ratio for hydrogen gas: carvone is correct. Now look at carvone; it's got two C=C double bonds. What do you think is going to happen when it's reacted with hydrogen gas then?

Ah they booth break. I get it now, thank you!
Out of curiosity what would happen if the ratio changed to 3:1 for example?
Original post by ST_123
Ah they booth break. I get it now, thank you!
Out of curiosity what would happen if the ratio changed to 3:1 for example?

Hmm well I don't think anything would change since there are only two double bonds. Not 100% sure though, sorry xD
Reply 226
Original post by Ayman!
Haha, at least you've spent some time on it - I have a lot to do. xD If I get about 86 on FP2 I should have the A* so I'll basically be done worrying about maths.

Yep, engineering. Thermodynamics and kinetics I'll still need. The organic stuff, not so much

Ah nice, any specific branch of engineering?
@samb1234 Do you know any of the potential error sources which prevent fuel-cell breath analysers' data being used in court?
Reply 228
@samb1234 Do you know any of the potential error sources which prevent fuel-cell breath analysers' data being used in court?

They can give false readings if you have drunk a very short period of time before the test, there can be calibration errors (although the machine used in police stations takes two separate readings to avoid this), makes assumptions about the ratio of alcohol in the breath to blood etc etc
Guys why are some of the metals 1 mark and the others full marks for this question?

Screen Shot 2016-06-04 at 21.01.09.png
Attachment not found

Attachment not found
Original post by lordoftheties
Guys why are some of the metals 1 mark and the others full marks for this question?

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

This was something that also confused me when I did this question. Maybe @samb1234 knows?

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

This was something that also confused me when I did this question. Maybe @samb1234 knows?

Well for the first 3, think about what how vigorously group 1 metals react with water, and how practical (or not!) that might be in this situation... :smile:
Original post by Funky_Giraffe
Well for the first 3, think about what how vigorously group 1 metals react with water, and how practical (or not!) that might be in this situation... :smile:

Ahhh yes, explosions. Hahaha xD

By the way, what colour are Fe2+ and Fe3+ in solution? I seem to be finding mixed answers :s
Reply 233

Group 1 metals do bad things with just about everything you can imagine - air water chlorine so probably isnt what you want haha
Reply 234

Oh also everything that is one mark reacts with water to give the hydroxide so you might get some deprotonation going on idk
How do you know whether it's + or -0.45V

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C0balt
How do you know whether it's + or -0.45V

Posted from TSR Mobile

The formula for calculating E Cell is:

E Cell = E(RHS electrode) - E(LHS electrode)
The formula for calculating E Cell is:

E Cell = E(RHS electrode) - E(LHS electrode)

Is that just a convention thing
Ahhh yes, explosions. Hahaha xD

By the way, what colour are Fe2+ and Fe3+ in solution? I seem to be finding mixed answers :s

For Edexcel, I've always learnt Fe2+ as green and Fe3+ as brown coloured.
Original post by C0balt
Is that just a convention thing

Yeah

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending