The Student Room Group

WJEC AS ICT Exam 6th June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
[QUOTE="PedanticStudent;65452391"]
Original post by emanny

I agree. Technique and understanding where the marks come from is just as important as remembering the content.

Yep. They try to make up for the lack of toughness of the subject through harsh marking and high grade boundaries. Probably why it's being scrapped
Reply 161
[QUOTE="emanny;65452577"]
Original post by PedanticStudent

Yep. They try to make up for the lack of toughness of the subject through harsh marking and high grade boundaries. Probably why it's being scrapped

Since you have experience top 5 tips please ..
Reply 162
[QUOTE="AA923;65452723"]
Original post by emanny

Since you have experience top 5 tips please ..

I can only go on opinion, what i did and what i didn't do.

1) One of the basics. Read the question at least twice. The first question probably caught a lot of people out where it asked about games when really it was about GUI.
2) Apply your knowledge to the context of the question. Don't just reiterate what you have memorised.
3) Answer the question in sufficient detail with examples for each question if possible. If your explanation is not valid or sufficient enough your example may get you the mark.
4) Take your time, 2 hours is incredibly long. You'll probably find you finish early, if so look over the questions again.
5) With regards to section B, make sure to reference your features accurately. The examiner will not flick through your screenshots, they simply do not care to do so (harsh truth). When describing your features, remember the what and why and possibly how. the Why should also be applied to the organisation you based it on and how it would impact it business wise, e.g. when making decisions. Don't make general descriptions as you won't get the mark. Finally, i'm not entirely sure but i'm sure you can't repeat the same features.

This is in no particular order by the way. Good luck.
help, i know absolutely nothing for this exam, i dont know what to do, my teacher was **** and i cant find anything to revise from
Original post by purplepandax
help, i know absolutely nothing for this exam, i dont know what to do, my teacher was **** and i cant find anything to revise from

Same.

If we were to revise for this exam in a day, what would peoples best tips be.

Thanks
Reply 165
Original post by collegestudentc
Same.

If we were to revise for this exam in a day, what would peoples best tips be.

Thanks

[QUOTE="purplepandax;65453571"]help, i know absolutely nothing for this exam, i dont know what to do, my teacher was **** and i cant find anything to revise from[

Revise mark schemes & then answer past questions to test your knowledge. Impossible to learn everything at this stage. Mark scheme is your best bet, just beware some of them are not full answers. So you'll need to extend.
Reply 166
[QUOTE="emanny;65454671"]
help, i know absolutely nothing for this exam, i dont know what to do, my teacher was **** and i cant find anything to revise from[

Revise mark schemes & then answer past questions to test your knowledge. Impossible to learn everything at this stage. Mark scheme is your best bet, just beware some of them are not full answers. So you'll need to extend.

I would advise you to spend a bit of time on ur spreadsheets cuz we shouldn't be losing those 20 marks of section B
[QUOTE="AA923;65454853"]
Original post by emanny

I would advise you to spend a bit of time on ur spreadsheets cuz we shouldn't be losing those 20 marks of section B

Twelve marks for the spreadsheet questions

For spreadsheet it is just what and why

What does the formula do with relevance to your spreadsheet, why do you need the product of the function, ie: needed to use a sum to add up sub total, vat and shipping to calculate grand total.

The mark schemes are excellent for section b

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Anyone got any useful revision documents?

Seen the predictions which are useful :smile:
Last day of revision today guys try not to learn any more content this close to the exam just brush over what you know with the mark schemes and maybe do one paper (or two)

Do not panic you are an excellent group of people and I am sure you will all do well. Make sure to get a good night's sleep to make sure your memory is with you when it counts.

Best wishes and good luck for tomorrow.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 170
Last day of revision today guys try not to learn any more content this close to the exam just brush over what you know with the mark schemes and maybe do one paper (or two)

Do not panic you are an excellent group of people and I am sure you will all do well. Make sure to get a good night's sleep to make sure your memory is with you when it counts.

Best wishes and good luck for tomorrow.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good luck to you too! WE WILL GET AN A !
i havent got a finished spreadsheet either...
im trying mark schemes but nothings going in, the new teachers we had dont think we're going to pass (i heard them whispering to eachother) yet keep saying 'youve got this guys!' ive hit a brick wall 😓 its like ive got to the point where ive just stopped believing im gonna pass and thats it.

i cant do my spreadsheet at home because the school wont accept it, and im just relying on my 'teacher' finishing it for us.

and nobody would help me get my coursework up from a c 😭
[QUOTE="emanny;65454671"]
help, i know absolutely nothing for this exam, i dont know what to do, my teacher was **** and i cant find anything to revise from[

thankyou! ive got 2011 - 2014 would that be enough?
im trying mark schemes but nothings going in, the new teachers we had dont think we're going to pass (i heard them whispering to eachother) yet keep saying 'youve got this guys!' ive hit a brick wall 😓 its like ive got to the point where ive just stopped believing im gonna pass and thats it.

i cant do my spreadsheet at home because the school wont accept it, and im just relying on my 'teacher' finishing it for us.

and nobody would help me get my coursework up from a c 😭

Your school has it all wrong. Nobody can do well under those circumstances
Reply 175
[QUOTE="purplepandax;65459307"]
Original post by emanny

thankyou! ive got 2011 - 2014 would that be enough?

Yeah. You can look up others like 2015 on their website if you wanted.
Reply 176
Original post by collegestudentc
Anyone got any useful revision documents?

Seen the predictions which are useful :smile:

Have you not read the from beginning of the forum. There are plenty links and documents there.
Your school has it all wrong. Nobody can do well under those circumstances

i know, weve all basically been set up to fail, everybody got u's in the mock, bar the people who the teacher helped cheat and gave the mark scheme to, even they only got E's ?

its basically corrupt, and no matter how many people we tell, nobody will do anything
Reply 178
i know, weve all basically been set up to fail, everybody got u's in the mock, bar the people who the teacher helped cheat and gave the mark scheme to, even they only got E's ?

its basically corrupt, and no matter how many people we tell, nobody will do anything

Perfect example that the mark scheme are not full answers. Most of them are just lists of key points where marks would be gained if explained fully. Mark scheme doesn't guarantee results if used incorrectly.

Guess I'm lucky to have an excellent teacher who is very conscientious and not a lazy **** like your teacher and school's management in general seems to be.

The only option realistically at this point is for you to give it a go but know that you will probably need to resit. Next time, you have the knowledge that you must learn the mark schemes and you must produce your own spreadsheet. I'll provide you with a coursework exemplar later when Im on my computer.

To be fair, I would have thought that your teacher will get their ass kicked by management for doing this to a whole class. How long has this 'teacher' been dragging people through the qualification on E's and U's?

It is a shame that you have been failed and let down by those who are supposed to help you to succeed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending