The Student Room Group

Realistic FY1 salary

Hi all, final year student here, just hoping to get a honest estimate from current foundation docs or other students of what the realistic gross income I can expect doing regular medicine and surgery jobs during my FY1 is?
It depends on banding and whether you get London weighting or not, but 3 band 1A/1B jobs outside of London will get you in the region of £32,000pa gross
Original post by Spencer Wells
It depends on banding and whether you get London weighting or not, but 3 band 1A/1B jobs outside of London will get you in the region of £32,000pa gross

On the old contract...

I really don't understand the new contract yet I have to say. What was said on the BBC would have meant a 1A banded (equivalent) FY1 would have got £26,000 or so. But they Johan released all those graphs that says it'd be about the same. :dontknow:
Reply 3
F1s are now going to be pay protected under the new contract so we will be paid the same as the current F1s as a minimum. How much you will actually be paid will depend on your placements, whether or not you have opted out of the EWTD and whether or not your pay under the new contract exceeds the cash floor set by pay protection. After doing a few calculations, and speaking to current F1s, I expect to earn about 33k (basing that on working 1/3-1/4 weekends and doing an average of 48 hours.
The new contract is a giant mind**** of calculations, but on the old contract as an FY1 doing a 40%, unbanded and 50% job, my pre-tax salary was about £29,000 give or take.
Just read this useful blog on the new contract. Seems that in addition to getting bonus pay for weekends and nights, you get a (substantially larger) bonus for 'hours' (I assume hours beyond 40/week), so actually Johan's figures may add up and pay probably will be similar.

So I would say 31-33K is a reasonable expectation, depending on the amount of out of hours commitments you are given.
You can work this out for yourself based on the old contract as an FY1 basic salary was £22,862. You are then paid banding on top: 50%, 40%, and unbanded is a pretty common combination, which would come to £29,720.57:

50%: 7620.66 + 3810.33
40%: 7620.66 + 3048.26
0%: 7620.66
Total: 29,720.57

You could add London allowance at £2,162 if that's where you will be working.

Out of this comes your tax (you would pay £3,654.11 on this salary over 12 months), national insurance, student loan, pension contributions, and mess fee (usually £10 a month or something similar).

It sounds as if you should assume that you will be earning something similar to this (particularly if new FY1s are pay protected) unless your circumstances are particularly unusual.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by MonteCristo
You can work this out for yourself based on the old contract as an FY1 basic salary was £22,862. You are then paid banding on top: 50%, 40%, and unbanded is a pretty common combination, which would come to £29,720.57:

50%: 7620.66 + 3810.33
40%: 7620.66 + 3048.26
0%: 7620.66
Total: 29,720.57

You could add London allowance at £2,162 if that's where you will be working.

Out of this comes your tax (you would pay £3,654.11 on this salary over 12 months), national insurance, student loan, pension contributions, and mess fee (usually £10 a month or something similar).

It sounds as if you should assume that you will be earning something similar to this (particularly if new FY1s are pay protected) unless your circumstances are particularly unusual.

Thanks, this is really useful!

Do you know if London weighting is paid the same, regardless of where in London you are based? Have tried googling to no avail!
Reply 8
Original post by billet-doux
Thanks, this is really useful!

Do you know if London weighting is paid the same, regardless of where in London you are based? Have tried googling to no avail!

Most places within actual London proper get the full amount, which is just over £2k per year. I got it working as far out as Croydon. There is a "fringe" amount which is considerably less, but I'm not sure how far out you have to go to only get that.
Reply 9
On the new contract: when you look at the take-home amount compared to the number of hours you do, you'll be working for virtually minimum wage (per hour). That's what will happen if the government spreads a 5-day workforce over 7 days without any extra staff.
Original post by asif007
On the new contract: when you look at the take-home amount compared to the number of hours you do, you'll be working for virtually minimum wage (per hour). That's what will happen if the government spreads a 5-day workforce over 7 days without any extra staff.

That's a bit of an exaggeration, and you have exactly the same issue on the old contract too!

The average hours per week will still be around 48.

Once you do the calculations your salary will be about 30-32k on the new contract. I worked out the difference in pay for old vs new contract for a friend doing the job I'm about to start, and I'd actually earn 2-3k more on the new one!

Based on a 48hr / week average you work about 2500 hours a year. £30,000 / 2500 = around £12 an hour. Not great considering 5 years of study, but better than the minimum wage of £6.70/hour (or £7.20/hour if 25+ years old).

The new contract also has provisions for you to get paid for extra hours worked, which is an improvement on the old one.
Original post by stroppyninja
The new contract also has provisions for you to get paid for extra hours worked, which is an improvement on the old one.

Yes, but im skeptical of the new mechanism for "pay for all hours worked". There seems to be different layers of approval required. Will you actually get it or will senior clinical staff, HR / payroll put pressure on you to work the hours without pay. i.e. imagine if it's threatened that your frequent extra hours worked might become an issue in your ARCP because they "feel (unfairly) you are unproductive compared to others".
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by inthevale
Yes, but im skeptical of the new mechanism for "pay for all hours worked". There seems to be different layers of approval required. Will you actually get it or will senior clinical staff, HR / payroll put pressure on you to work the hours without pay. i.e. imagine if it's threatened that your frequent extra hours worked might become an issue in your ARCP because they "feel (unfairly) you are unproductive compared to others".

That's when you involve the BMA

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending