The Student Room Group

Did anyone take AS CIE Chemistry exam today?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by A*girl
Yeah, FB5 had the most "no change visible" and what was the cation in fb8? The solid we heated? Nothing happened

Same here
FB5 had a small change with NaOH and i realised that there was a pale white ppt (which is nearly colourless and the cation is supposed to be Ba2+
AND
No observations in FB8 on heating,
I used a blue and a red litmus but none show any changes.
I wrote it as carbonate ion.
Original post by A*girl
Most of us wrote no cation and carbonate as the anion. Out titre was between 27 and 28

My titre was 27.75
And the best thing that my results were very concordant upto 0.1cm3 within the rough titre and the first acc. titre and just wrote another concordant value for 2nd acc. reading (which saved my time too) and I was the first one to complete the Q1.
BUT STILL I managed to complete the whole paper within the last minute.

And I feel so sorry for the people who wasted their time doing the second acc..titration.
Reply 162
Original post by Some one
No Idea why you all think the paper was hard.:confused: The paper went great for me! :biggrin: The first two questions were ditto copy from the specimen paper. The calculation was simple too. My titre was 19.35 cm3 and my friends got similar results in the range of 19cm3 to 22cm3 , but I think everyone wont get the same value as we all had different masses of Magnesium ribbon. I agree the qualitative part was a BIT tough but that was fine too.FB5 was AluminiumFB6 anion was nitrate and cation we cannot decide as the evidence was inconclusive. FB7 was Al2(SO4)3FB8 was MnCl

What arw you talking about????
We didnt haveto name FB's excwpt FB 9 and 10

Omg. Did you do 33????i did 33....what man...omg......
Original post by A.S.J
What arw you talking about????
We didnt haveto name FB's excwpt FB 9 and 10

Omg. Did you do 33????i did 33....what man...omg......

hahah no calm down I didnt do 33 i did 32. I thought you gave 32 as well :tongue:
Reply 164
Sorry.
Original post by InkRed
And so we both mean the same thing=))
Reply 165
hahah no calm down I didnt do 33 i did 32. I thought you gave 32 as well :tongue:

Omg... phew.i just noticed i accidently wrote 32 wjen i meant 33
I literally started crying when i saw your early reply..
Hahahah poor you:ahee:
Reply 167
Hahahah poor you:ahee:

Yess poor me.. im so stressed out. Sorry. Ita my final year. I did Chem as a whole Alevel. So frealed out.
Original post by A.S.J
Yess poor me.. im so stressed out. Sorry. Ita my final year. I did Chem as a whole Alevel. So frealed out.

Oh. I never understood why people choose to give all papers in one year when there is an option to divide them into 2 years, which is much much easier, and plus if u mess up in the first year you can repeat it next year.
Reply 169
Oh. I never understood why people choose to give all papers in one year when there is an option to divide them into 2 years, which is much much easier, and plus if u mess up in the first year you can repeat it next year.

Thats why i am giving together.
I messed up last year. XD
Reply 170
Screenshot_2016-06-04-23-29-26-165.jpeg
Im so confused for this.
And the answer is A.
How?
Help.
Thnks.
Original post by Prantone
i did the v31 , cambridge gave us wrong concentrations for the experiments and we couldnt do the titration , no1 had a change in the colour , so we were in a rush to repeat the 2 experiments from the begining , only half an hour was left... it went pretty bad , i hope they will be lenient with the marking

omg the cation and the anion part ...i think i wudve never wrote aluminium metal for FB5 and FB6 my teacher told me that we cant find the cation althiugh they wrote on the paper that they need the cation and the anion .......i mean how cud u make such a difficult paper ...and that too practicals cuz were like doing it for the first time and u gave us like such a limited amount of time that is so unfair and r u sure that the conc were wrong if thats the case we have to repeat the paper man ..no way im gonna get a B in chemistry ....cuz paper 2 was not easy as well
Original post by A*girl
Most of us wrote no cation and carbonate as the anion. Out titre was between 27 and 28

the anion is not carbonate its aluminium metal i knew most of us wrote carbonate but the right is answer is aluminium
and FB8 is mn+2
what did u guys get for the inverted measuring cylinder experiment??
for me it became completely empty so i was like ok so what to do i write no0w ?
Original post by alyoan tariq
what did u guys get for the inverted measuring cylinder experiment??
for me it became completely empty so i was like ok so what to do i write no0w ?

Same here. The gas produced advanced the graduations on the measuring cylinder. So I had to repeat the whole experiment again with a different mass of Mg :frown:
You know, I think its pretty unfair that we had inappropriate masses of Mg and had to go through all that measuring cylinder problem, considering it ate a good amount of time.
So I posted this on another thread and thought of sharing it here too...

My Chem p32....It went utterly horrendous!

I set up my whole Q1 apparatuses, the inverted cylinder..the clamp..the flask EVERYTHING. I started the experiment. Waited for the Mg to react completely, BUT the hydrogen produced was SO MUCH that it advanced the graduation on the measuring cylinder!! Thats not all. I somehow (by scale and measurements) found out the volume of H2 produced, wrote it down and did the rest of ALL calculations in the first question and finished with my final answer. But then, just when I thought that was the least problem I could have, the supervisor walked up to me and asked me why i didn't ask for another Mg strip of lower mass! JUST LIKE THAT MY WHOLE Q1 WENT INTO COMPLETE WASTE!

I wanna ask a question to all the CIE candidates out there,
is it genuinely OK to ask for another mass of something (or even anything that has been clearly officially labeled FB) when you've been given a "FB1 Magnesium Strip" to use in the question?

I mean, how would i have ever known that THAT particular mass of Mg would not be suitable for my experiment! I was completely clueless about the fact that i could ask for another one! It was the fault of the staff who were responsible for providing an appropriate mass of Mg! I requested them for extra time as it was in no possibility my fault, but they denied. There was a lot of talking and stuff which ate good amount of my time.
So, I had to set up and do the WHOLE experiment AGAIN! (''including'' the calculations that followed)
And then ended up getting 19 as the Ar of Mg. Great. Just great.
Since Question 2 was related to Q1, I'm just praying they ecf (error carrried forward) the results and calculations.

Question 2. Started with the titration. Got values of titre around 27cm3 to 30 cm3. I have no idea if those are ok... Due to lack of time, couldn't do the last few parts of questions to in Q2.

Until i reached Question 3, I had so little time (say, 15 - 20 minutes), you can imagine how that might've gone. I hardly did 2 - 3 observations of the first part, and since i was running of out time, couldn't do the rest of the question. BLANK! I had never expected to leave anything blank in p3.

And thats pretty much what happened with me and a couple of other candidates (whom i could talk to later).

And just so you know, I did brilliantly in Physics and Biology practicals, therefore I expected everything to go fluently in Chem practical.

I do believe i should have been given extra time. But there wasn't much of a point to argue further with anyone during the exam, as it was the matter of time.
If anyone particularly gave this exam in Jeddah (I don't want to disclose the name of the school), please share your experience if u went through the same as me
Original post by Random98
So I posted this on another thread and thought of sharing it here too...

My Chem p32....It went utterly horrendous!

I set up my whole Q1 apparatuses, the inverted cylinder..the clamp..the flask EVERYTHING. I started the experiment. Waited for the Mg to react completely, BUT the hydrogen produced was SO MUCH that it advanced the graduation on the measuring cylinder!! Thats not all. I somehow (by scale and measurements) found out the volume of H2 produced, wrote it down and did the rest of ALL calculations in the first question and finished with my final answer. But then, just when I thought that was the least problem I could have, the supervisor walked up to me and asked me why i didn't ask for another Mg strip of lower mass! JUST LIKE THAT MY WHOLE Q1 WENT INTO COMPLETE WASTE!

I wanna ask a question to all the CIE candidates out there,
is it genuinely OK to ask for another mass of something (or even anything that has been clearly officially labeled FB) when you've been given a "FB1 Magnesium Strip" to use in the question?

I mean, how would i have ever known that THAT particular mass of Mg would not be suitable for my experiment! I was completely clueless about the fact that i could ask for another one! It was the fault of the staff who were responsible for providing an appropriate mass of Mg! I requested them for extra time as it was in no possibility my fault, but they denied. There was a lot of talking and stuff which ate good amount of my time.
So, I had to set up and do the WHOLE experiment AGAIN! (''including'' the calculations that followed)
And then ended up getting 19 as the Ar of Mg. Great. Just great.
Since Question 2 was related to Q1, I'm just praying they ecf (error carrried forward) the results and calculations.

Question 2. Started with the titration. Got values of titre around 27cm3 to 30 cm3. I have no idea if those are ok... Due to lack of time, couldn't do the last few parts of questions to in Q2.

Until i reached Question 3, I had so little time (say, 15 - 20 minutes), you can imagine how that might've gone. I hardly did 2 - 3 observations of the first part, and since i was running of out time, couldn't do the rest of the question. BLANK! I had never expected to leave anything blank in p3.

And thats pretty much what happened with me and a couple of other candidates (whom i could talk to later).

And just so you know, I did brilliantly in Physics and Biology practicals, therefore I expected everything to go fluently in Chem practical.

I do believe i should have been given extra time. But there wasn't much of a point to argue further with anyone during the exam, as it was the matter of time.
If anyone particularly gave this exam in Jeddah (I don't want to disclose the name of the school), please share your experience if u went through the same as me

hi ...same here jeddah student ...and i completly understand ur situation cuz ieven though i had a correct mass of mg i read the measuring cylnder upside down as in i wa supposed to write down 250 cm3 as an answer as everyone in my school says or actually got ....... my teacher performed that question 1 about like FOUR times and she said that was a preety hard question there and it actually messed up the rest of the paper and then i had to actually try that experiment twice cuz my measuring cylider git empty like in a few seconds and im like what the hell and i did not get to do the calculation part for that question but then i manged to finsh the cation and anion part which really suck cuz even that part of the ppaer was so hard and then i got FB5 anf FB6 wrong as well ....ughhhhh ....
so basically only question 2 was a perfect question and the rest of the paper was ........*no words to describe it * ....anyways my physics paper was okish though cuz my school really didint made us practice alot for physics and hold on bio was the best *alhumdullilah* it was nice until i rememberd i forgot to measure the hieght of the foam at room temp* faceplam* and that calibiration part ....i wrote the right answer but the wrong units ....*literally i want it to kill myself at that moment* so basically im expecting a BBB grade bbut praying for an AAA *inshallah*
chill ou the curve is going to be low im sure ....."i mean lets pray ...u never know"
hw was ur chem paper 2 i dint like it that much tbh
but i liked physics paper 2 it was preety easy .....
hi ...same here jeddah ...and i completly understand ur situation cuz ieven though i had a correct mass of mg i read the measuring cylnder upside down as in i wa supposed to write down 250 cm3 as an answer as everyone in my school says or actually got ....... my teacher performed that question 1 about like FOUR times and she said that was a preety hard question there and it actually messed up the rest of the paper and then i had to actually try that experiment twice cuz my measuring cylider git empty like in a few seconds and im like what the hell and i did not get to do the calculation part for that question but then i manged to finsh the cation and anion part which really suck cuz even that part of the ppaer was so hard and then i got FB5 anf FB6 wrong as well ....ughhhhh ....
so basically only question 2 was a perfect question and the rest of the paper was ........*no words to describe it * ....anyways my physics paper was okish though cuz my school really didint made us practice alot for physics and hold on bio was the best *alhumdullilah* it was nice until i rememberd i forgot to measure the hieght of the foam at room temp* faceplam* and that calibiration part ....i wrote the right answer but the wrong units ....*literally i want it to kill myself at that moment* so basically im expecting a BBB grade bbut praying for an AAA *inshallah*
chill ou the curve is going to be low im sure ....."i mean lets pray ...u never know"

Oh what a coincidence!
I couldn't even solve for the calibration part in Bio practical:colonhash:
Uhhhh...My chem paper 2 didn't go so well. I found it pretty difficult and I didn't get the infra red spectroscopy part:colonhash: (thank goodness a whole question wasn't dedicated to that topic)..
Yeah Phy paper 2 was pretty straight forward, but i messed up in the ratio question:colonhash:
I'm just hoping and praying paper 1 goes well.... Bio p1 is easy, but Phy and Chem(especially)..they're super difficult :frown:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 178
Oh what a coincidence!
Uhhhh...My chem paper 2 didn't go so well. I found it pretty difficult and I didn't get the infra red spectroscopy part:colonhash: (thank goodness a whole question wasn't dedicated to that topic)..
Yeah Phy paper 2 was pretty straight forward, but i messed up in the ratio question:colonhash:
I'm just hoping and praying paper 1 goes well.... Bio p1 is easy, but Phy and Chem(especially)..they're super difficult :frown:

hi ...same here jeddah student ...and i completly understand ur situation cuz ieven though i had a correct mass of mg i read the measuring cylnder upside down as in i wa supposed to write down 250 cm3 as an answer as everyone in my school says or actually got ....... my teacher performed that question 1 about like FOUR times and she said that was a preety hard question there and it actually messed up the rest of the paper and then i had to actually try that experiment twice cuz my measuring cylider git empty like in a few seconds and im like what the hell and i did not get to do the calculation part for that question but then i manged to finsh the cation and anion part which really suck cuz even that part of the ppaer was so hard and then i got FB5 anf FB6 wrong as well ....ughhhhh ....

Paper 2 forchem which variant? I did 22
Oh what a coincidence!

HI-5!! i COULDN'T SOLVE IT EITHER!

OMG, everything you say is my existence right now. I keep missing the gt for chem and phy by one mark, and it's annoying me!

Quick Reply

Latest