The Student Room Group

What do people think about Ramadan (The month of fasting in Islam)?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by idrathernotsay
Yeah I get that. I mean it would've been nice if Ramadan and exams didn't clash but what can you do? I probably won't be fasting for the next two weeks because of my exams, that way if I get bad grades I cant blame the fact I was fasting. But it does mean I have to make it up at a later date which is kinda a pain.

This is not a valid reason to miss an exam, im doing A LEVELS in final year with subjects like biology. I will be keeping exams and exams isnt a valid enough reason to miss bearing in mind the exams will be earlier in the day. There are criteria where unless you cannot at all revise or concentrate which i highly doubt since you wont really feel the fast till late in the afternoon after which most exams finish. So its upto you whether you think it is, but as most people have said it isnt a valid enough reason.
Original post by CAPTAINSHAZAM
This is not a valid reason to miss an exam, im doing A LEVELS in final year with subjects like biology. I will be keeping exams and exams isnt a valid enough reason to miss bearing in mind the exams will be earlier in the day. There are criteria where unless you cannot at all revise or concentrate which i highly doubt since you wont really feel the fast till late in the afternoon after which most exams finish. So its upto you whether you think it is, but as most people have said it isnt a valid enough reason.

I understand all of that, I spoken to my parents and they agree with me. These exams will determine my entire life so I have to do well in them, not only that, the sleeping patterns really mess me up. Im fine with waking up for Fajr as its only for 15 minutes tops but when its sehri, I'm awake for a good hour or so. I don't feel good about missing any of my fasts but I think its acceptable in this instance.
I hope they lower grade boundaries too but I think it's unlikely
I understand all of that, I spoken to my parents and they agree with me. These exams will determine my entire life so I have to do well in them, not only that, the sleeping patterns really mess me up. Im fine with waking up for Fajr as its only for 15 minutes tops but when its sehri, I'm awake for a good hour or so. I don't feel good about missing any of my fasts but I think its acceptable in this instance.

Like i said this is up to you, but since your a muslim dont you think Allah will give you the energy strength intelligence needed to do well in the exam if youre struggling for the sake of Allah? Youre sacrificing sleep hunger etc thats the way i see it.
Reply 64
Like i said this is up to you, but since your a muslim dont you think Allah will give you the energy strength intelligence needed to do well in the exam if youre struggling for the sake of Allah? Youre sacrificing sleep hunger etc thats the way i see it.

I myself am doing A Levels, but don't think I am going to fast during my exams. You can't assume God will give you strength to be intelligent suddenly because you're fasting! That's like jumping out of a plane without a parachute, and assuming God will keep you alive because you've said a prayer. Unfortunately, I don't think every fasting child is going to have a miracle experience where we can suddenly all figure out the answers, simply because we are fasting.
For me, it isn't the food or even water that would affect my performance - it is the sleep. Realistically, not being able to sleep until 11 at the earliest (as this is roughly when Ishaa namaz is) and waking up at around 3am is just going to destroy my chances of concentrating in the exam. I think we need to put things into perspective here - God explicitly says He intended no hardship for us, and there are things we can do to make the fasts up. In an ideal world, I would keep all my fasts and wake up for all my fajr namaz during exams, but I have to be realistic. I would rather secure a career which would enable me to have a lifetime of doing good deeds (and fasting for the rest of my life!) than mess up my A-Levels and resent myself and my religion afterwards. I'm not trying to justify missing fasts - it is a sin. But, what I am saying is that God is merciful, and if our intentions are pure, then as young people I don't believe we will be so severely punished for our actions.
Original post by safia_x
I myself am doing A Levels, but don't think I am going to fast during my exams. You can't assume God will give you strength to be intelligent suddenly because you're fasting! That's like jumping out of a plane without a parachute, and assuming God will keep you alive because you've said a prayer. Unfortunately, I don't think every fasting child is going to have a miracle experience where we can suddenly all figure out the answers, simply because we are fasting.
For me, it isn't the food or even water that would affect my performance - it is the sleep. Realistically, not being able to sleep until 11 at the earliest (as this is roughly when Ishaa namaz is) and waking up at around 3am is just going to destroy my chances of concentrating in the exam. I think we need to put things into perspective here - God explicitly says He intended no hardship for us, and there are things we can do to make the fasts up. In an ideal world, I would keep all my fasts and wake up for all my fajr namaz during exams, but I have to be realistic. I would rather secure a career which would enable me to have a lifetime of doing good deeds (and fasting for the rest of my life!) than mess up my A-Levels and resent myself and my religion afterwards. I'm not trying to justify missing fasts - it is a sin. But, what I am saying is that God is merciful, and if our intentions are pure, then as young people I don't believe we will be so severely punished for our actions.

I agree with you completely
Yeah I get that. I mean it would've been nice if Ramadan and exams didn't clash but what can you do? I probably won't be fasting for the next two weeks because of my exams, that way if I get bad grades I cant blame the fact I was fasting. But it does mean I have to make it up at a later date which is kinda a pain.

I have always been taught (from my mosque and school of thought) that if you miss one fast for anything other than illness or your period then you have to either pay £250 to charity (for each fast missed) or do 60 days of fasts (just for one)
So I guess that means you don't agree with Ramadan? And if your an atheist how do you find living with a Muslim family?(Just a bit curious)

wish i could be honest but my family would cut off all relations and they would probably kill themselves afterwards so nah
Original post by Zara0526
I have always been taught (from my mosque and school of thought) that if you miss one fast for anything other than illness or your period then you have to either pay £250 to charity (for each fast missed) or do 60 days of fasts (just for one)

It is true, but there are also other reasons that it is permissible to miss a fast such as travelling and if there is a genuine reason for not fasting. If you think its genuine and your intentions are pure then it should be fine, in my opinion. But we won't know for sure until the Day of Judgement.
It is true, but there are also other reasons that it is permissible to miss a fast such as travelling and if there is a genuine reason for not fasting. If you think its genuine and your intentions are pure then it should be fine, in my opinion. But we won't know for sure until the Day of Judgement.

I agree - we won't know anything for sure till the day of judgement :smile:.
Good luck in your exams! Inshallah they will go well!
Ramadhan Kareem
Reply 70
I'm Muslim and I'd just like to know, generally, what people thought of fasting from sunrise till sunset.

Cant wait, the best time to boost my Imān
Original post by Zara0526
I agree - we won't know anything for sure till the day of judgement :smile:.
Good luck in your exams! Inshallah they will go well!
Ramadhan Kareem

Thank you! Insha Allah this Ramadan goes well for you and if you have any exams now, or in the future, I hope they go very well:h:
Original post by Y4XY3
Cant wait, the best time to boost my Imān

Aren't we all?
Original post by safia_x

You're missing the point, all those things you mentioned dony you think if Allah wanted he could do those things toyou? Nothing is impossible. Im not saying Allah will give you the answers im saying allah will give you the strength needed for the day, yourr fasting for the sake of Allah and yourr doing an exam, dont you think if Allah could make this easier on you. The sleep thing just isnt an issue and im not trying to tell people but its stated this criteria of exam isnt enough to miss it.
If you sleep from 11 to 3 thats 4h lets say you go to sleep at 430 then wake up at 730 thats another 3h. So how can you say for maximum 7 ish days in the month you cant concentrate for 7h?
Allah intended no harship doesnt mean we wont have tests, this is a test.
Reply 74
You're missing the point, all those things you mentioned dony you think if Allah wanted he could do those things toyou? Nothing is impossible. Im not saying Allah will give you the answers im saying allah will give you the strength needed for the day, yourr fasting for the sake of Allah and yourr doing an exam, dont you think if Allah could make this easier on you. The sleep thing just isnt an issue and im not trying to tell people but its stated this criteria of exam isnt enough to miss it.
If you sleep from 11 to 3 thats 4h lets say you go to sleep at 430 then wake up at 730 thats another 3h. So how can you say for maximum 7 ish days in the month you cant concentrate for 7h?
Allah intended no harship doesnt mean we wont have tests, this is a test.

I don't think I'm missing any point, I just simply disagree with your viewpoint. I'm not saying that its not within God's capacity to grant miracles in any way. What I am saying is it is very naive to assume that this miracle will happen to you, and rely on that for your exams.
And I don't think you have a realistic view of exam timetabling - yeah, 7 hours of sleep spread throughout the day is fine, but when you've got sehri at 3am, it takes at least 30 minutes to fall asleep on a full stomach, and an exam at 9, you'll be lucky to get 4 hours of sleep. Allah has truly blessed you if you can give your optimum performance in an exam (which you have worked 2 years for consistently) off of 4 hours sleep. I get how important ramadan is, and I am going to trial fasting during revision and see how that goes, and if it is possible to do it in the exam. If not, I'm paying the price on judgement day I guess.
Ultimately, fasting is between you and Allah. Do whatever is best for you, but don't try to police people into one way or another, because everyone who genuinely cares about their religion will have a justification either way.
Original post by safia_x
I don't think I'm missing any point, I just simply disagree with your viewpoint. I'm not saying that its not within God's capacity to grant miracles in any way. What I am saying is it is very naive to assume that this miracle will happen to you, and rely on that for your exams.
And I don't think you have a realistic view of exam timetabling - yeah, 7 hours of sleep spread throughout the day is fine, but when you've got sehri at 3am, it takes at least 30 minutes to fall asleep on a full stomach, and an exam at 9, you'll be lucky to get 4 hours of sleep. Allah has truly blessed you if you can give your optimum performance in an exam (which you have worked 2 years for consistently) off of 4 hours sleep. I get how important ramadan is, and I am going to trial fasting during revision and see how that goes, and if it is possible to do it in the exam. If not, I'm paying the price on judgement day I guess.
Ultimately, fasting is between you and Allah. Do whatever is best for you, but don't try to police people into one way or another, because everyone who genuinely cares about their religion will have a justification either way.

I know you have acknowledged that your deeds are between you and Allah even if you concede that not fasting is wrong, but I posted this on the ISOC in response to this topic, so I will repost here just in case the naseeha might benefit you InshaAllah:
“And the life of this world is nothing but play and amusement. But far better is the house in the hereafter for those who are Al-Muttaqun (the pious). Will you not then understand?” (Surah An-An'am:32)
Original post by Zamestaneh
In Punjabi, Chiri means "bird" :K:

I know what it means !!!! Its just a thing fr kids like u fast fr a half day !!!!!! :wink::biggrin:
Original post by HAnwar
Haha I understood that :P

Lmaoooooo!!!!!:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending