The Student Room Group

A2 AQA Geography GEOG 3 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by civ1
I have got very good notes on G4 happy to trade

I WOULD LOVE NOTES ON G4 - do you need anything?
(our teacher who taught G4 is shocking and thought Morocco was in Egypt
Do any of you guys know what I can definitely rule out for the exam? For example what came up and I don't need to revise because it's highly unlikely to come up. I'm doing World Cities, Ecosystems and Conflicts. Ecosystems structured only btw! Thanks!
Original post by TJ_gym
Anybody got any good notes on Japan earthquake 2011?

CASE STUDY = JAPAN EARTHQUAKE AND TSUNAMI11th March 2011

Magnitude = 9.0

130km East of the capital, Sendai

A tsunami was sent crashing into the county’s North-Eastern coast

Lasted 6 minutes

5th largest recorded worldwide since 1990

10,000 more energy than the EQ in Christchurch

Cause

Japan is located on the East Edge of the Eurasian plate

Oceanic Pacific Plate is sub ducted under the Eurasian plate

Destructive plate margin (tension builds up)

When this pressure builds up and is released, it causes a rapid shift in plates and a lot of energy to be released

Impacts

Damage caused in Tokyo and many injuries in the North

Fire in the Capitals waterfront Odaiba district

After shocks were continuing - one hit the 7.1 magnitude

Immediate power outrages - affects 4 million homes

Bridge collapsed and buildings were washed away

Major airports halted flights

All trains stopped

5 deaths in Fukushima

2 nuclear plants on the Pacific coast in Fukushima were shut down

Radiation releases caused large evacuations, concern over food and water supplies

16,000 people died

2,000 injured

530,000 pople displaced

1.2m homes without power

1.4m homes without water

4,700 destroyed houses

32 bridges destroyed

ResponsePrimary

Tsunami warning issued 3 minutes after EQ

Prime Minister Naoto Kan urged the nation to be calm and that the government will do its upmost to minimise damage from the quake

Japanese Military forces were sent in to help

Defence ministry sent 8 fighter jets to check damage

Secondary

91 countries have offered aid

Many charities, including save the children, Red Cross and World Vision are giving donations

A British rescue team arrived in japan

Original post by maximiles97
Do any of you guys know what I can definitely rule out for the exam? For example what came up and I don't need to revise because it's highly unlikely to come up. I'm doing World Cities, Ecosystems and Conflicts. Ecosystems structured only btw! Thanks!

World cities -
Gentrification, inner city redevelopment, retailing

Ecosystems-
Route ways, succession, plagioclimax events in British Isles

Just me predictions :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sacred Ground
World cities -

Ecosystems-

Posted from TSR Mobile

Awesome thanks man
Original post by CLGC98
Can someone doing WORLD CITIES tell me if i need any other case studies?

Urbanisation- Mumbai
Suburbanisation- Surbiton,London
Counter-urbanisation- St Ives, Cambridgeshire
Re-urbanisation- London Docklands
Gentrification- Notting Hill
Partnerships- Hulme City Challenge
Property-led- London Thames Gateway
OOT retailing - Trafford Centre
Urban Centres- Manchester City Centre
Sustainable Waste- Curitiba
Sustainable Transport- Curitiba?

All very good and what I've got but I have Freiberg in Germany for sustainable Trasnport. A good one to look up :smile:
My sustainable transport case studies:
Tyne and Wear metro
UK road laws / petroleum changes
Copenhagen
San Francisco
London bike hire scheme
Reading

Maybe I've gone overboard with transport case studies :/

Sustainable waste management:
Zebbalean people in Cairo
Reply 727
could someone explain what planning and management issues are for world cities?
Reply 728
Original post by maximiles97

International conflict (Darfur) is unlikely to come up as it was on last years paper as a 10 marker!
Poverty came up too as the 8 marker so thats unlikely too :smile:
Apparently a good guess for the essay is multiculturalism - but there's hardly any predictions on tsr! Seems to be an unpopular topic
Could someone explain what new markets and technologies are?
Also does anyone have a case study of an oil producing country and the impact of g8 countries in the global economy?
Original post by B345
could someone explain what planning and management issues are for world cities?

Dharavi slum in Mumbai - plans to build a 14-storey apartment
And the issues surrounding that the Dharavi people don't want it but developers want to build it
Look it up there's lots of information on it
Reply 731
New markets are countries such as China, India, Brazil, who have had catching up growth in the past decade or so, mainly by attracting investment from TNCs, because of cheap labour, educated workforce, SEZs etc (especially China). They're new markets because they've had such rapid growth they now have massive roles in the global economy, and their rising middle class provide a market to exploit and their demand for goods rises. The new markets increasingly have their own TNCs and are beginning to invest abroad (particularly in LEDCs), so promoting global economic growth.
New technologies I'm not so sure about - I think it's things such as undersea cables and Internet development which have made it easier for companies to expand their influence. For example in Africa there's been a huge rise in mobile phones because they don't require infrastructure, so bringing them up to date and promoting businesses there, so growth. Might have to do some extra research on technology!
Are the oil and G8 case studies also for d+g? If so what part because I don't have case studies for them either?
Reply 732
Original post by Lavender26
Could someone explain what new markets and technologies are?
Also does anyone have a case study of an oil producing country and the impact of g8 countries in the global economy?

Just posted
Hey guys so I got 2 marks above an A overall for AS, whats the lowest I can get in the A2 units to get a B overall :smile:
Original post by Sacred Ground
World cities -

Ecosystems-

Posted from TSR Mobile

What sort of stuff would you say for inner city development??
Does anyone have any brief notes for issues facing countries at low economic development from D+G?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 736
Original post by lulus1
New markets are countries such as China, India, Brazil, who have had catching up growth in the past decade or so, mainly by attracting investment from TNCs, because of cheap labour, educated workforce, SEZs etc (especially China). They're new markets because they've had such rapid growth they now have massive roles in the global economy, and their rising middle class provide a market to exploit and their demand for goods rises. The new markets increasingly have their own TNCs and are beginning to invest abroad (particularly in LEDCs), so promoting global economic growth.
New technologies I'm not so sure about - I think it's things such as undersea cables and Internet development which have made it easier for companies to expand their influence. For example in Africa there's been a huge rise in mobile phones because they don't require infrastructure, so bringing them up to date and promoting businesses there, so growth. Might have to do some extra research on technology!
Are the oil and G8 case studies also for d+g? If so what part because I don't have case studies for them either?

This was in the 2014 paper dk you think it will up again?
Reply 737
Original post by plxntsoul
What sort of stuff would you say for inner city development??

The redevelopment schemes so partnership schemes, property led regeneration, sustainable communities
Can we please make a solid plan for this essay bc it's stressing me out:

compare and contrast the nature of volcanic hazards with seismic hazards
Reply 739
Original post by SJJ97
This was in the 2014 paper dk you think it will up again?

Really no idea, I thought it was unlikely bc it came up recently but my teacher said to consider it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending