The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Biology SNAB 6BI04 ~ 6BIO5 June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tayloryeah
JUNE 2016 FACTORY OF LIFE SCIENTIFIC ARTICLE EDEXCEL QUESTION 7 QUESTIONS, ANSWERS AND VIUAL AIDS<<<<< for anyone who requires help, this booklet holds 90 potential questions and edexcel strictly based answers!!! it has helped me alot, it can be found on the TES website, if you look it up, you will be sure to find it!

how do u access tes lol
Original post by Moleyeyes
I think sticky ends is the description of what's left after the restriction endonucleases cut the DNA - one of the strands is left longer than the other (so there are some unpaired bases). The same restriction endonuclease cuts the plasmid (or other genetic material that is being used) so that you end up with another set of sticky ends which match the first sticky ends (complementary base pairing). Ligase then joins the DNA backbone. *I think*

Ohh right I see that now! Thankyou soo much! Ill have a read up on that wiki link you posted aswell just in case :-)
Original post by LThomas694
No problem! I'm not really sure but someone's explained below. I did the 2015 mock with the deep brain stimulation article and the questions weren't as bad as I thought they would be so I'm hoping they'll be manageable this year

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I really hope so!
Also any chance you know the answer to these questions? Someone else posted them but I'm stuck on them too.

- Is the toggle switch (paragraph 25) related to the transcription initiation complex, which triggers protein transcription at the promoter region?
- Why can't synthetically altered organisms compete economically with regular petroleum products? Is it due to costs in producing the altered organisms?
Does anyone have good Unit 4/Unit 5 revision notes? Sick of going over the same format in the orange book. Thanks in advance

It says you have to but it for £5, unless you have an account or something can you dm it?
Reply 326
Original post by Year11guy
It says you have to but it for £5, unless you have an account or something can you dm it?

i think u have to buy it to be able to access it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Leilahannoun1
Genetic engineering: the 'traditional' type quoted from the report involves cutting and pasting existing genes into another organism
Synthetic biology involves chemically synthesising DNA from scratch which is used to create new genes.

How would you word that for example if an exam question asked what synthetic biology was? I know the stages of genetic engineering but im not sure about synthetic biology.
Original post by A-LJLB
I didn't want them to have access to my account. Also, I like having printed versions so I can revise wherever I am. Yeah they cover the basics and have model answers.

Could you please post them or pm them to me. Ive got the ones for unit 4 if u want them.
(edited 7 years ago)
Can anyone post the mark schemes bunched together to give model answers.
Can someone send a copy of the pre release , I lost my copy and can't find it online!
Thank you
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Na_Hsur19
Can someone send a copy of the pre release , I lost my copy and can't find it online!
Thank you

I'll email it to you if you want :smile:
Original post by genevievelaw
I'll email it to you if you want :smile:

Yes pleasr :h:
Reply 333
Original post by etherealinsanity
Also, when a question asks to "State one reason..." what happens if you state more than one reason? Does the examiner just look at the first answer you put down, or do you lose all marks for not giving just a single answer?

When we were marking some past paper questions in class, my teacher said if you write 2 things when it says 1 and both are correct you still get the mark, but if you write a correct thing and then an incorrect thing it's counted as wrong (ie everything you write has to be correct or you don't get the mark) so if it asks for 1 thing it's better to stick with just 1
Original post by fpmaniac
Could you please post them or pm them to me. Ive got the ones for unit 4 if u want them.

Could I have a copy 😌 Please
Original post by BB8
When we were marking some past paper questions in class, my teacher said if you write 2 things when it says 1 and both are correct you still get the mark, but if you write a correct thing and then an incorrect thing it's counted as wrong (ie everything you write has to be correct or you don't get the mark) so if it asks for 1 thing it's better to stick with just 1

Thanks! :smile:
TES is having a 35% sale on all prenium resources between the 4th-7th june {https://www.tes.com/teaching-resource/june-2016-factory-of-life-scientific-article-edexcel-question-7-questions-answers-and-viual-aids-11271853} you can now get 2 for the price of 1 resources related to question 7, the scientific article.
(edited 7 years ago)
Can anyone explain the idea of grazing ?

The mean oxygen consumption is in cm3 g-1 hr-1. Therefore, if 4.5cm3 is consumped within 20 minutes, approximately 13.5cm3 will be consumped every hour (13.5cm3 hr-1). There is also 2g of maggots, so to find out per gram of maggot you divide the consumption by 2, to get 6.75cm3 g-1 hr-1. The closest value for this is at temperature 15 degrees. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending