The Student Room Group

Edexcel Government & Politics - Unit 1 06/06/16

Scroll to see replies

I've attached all the past paper questions for Unit 1 (thank my politics teacher!) :smile:
the ones I know well ( i could do some systems but not to the extent i desire) are FPTP AV AMS are the main ones i would pick if i had to talk about 3
wow everyones politics teachers are giving them predictions and past papers and we got nothing
Original post by mollyadtr
Just a quick question does anyone know if we need to learn the av system? I completely forgot about it and I've only learnt about fptp, sv, stv, party list system and ams...should I go over it briefly in case they ask a 5 mark question?

Posted from TSR Mobile

My teacher thinks it won't come up as it was rejected in 2011 but it would be useful to know for contextuality in questions on introducing a new electoral system - but dont think we'd have to describe it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by popcornjpg
Elections
Ÿ Should proportional representation be introducedfor elections to the House of Commons?Ÿ
Make out a case in favour of the introduction ofproportional representation for Westminster elections.Ÿ
How far does the Westminster electoral systemensure strong and stable government?Ÿ
Should the Westminster electoral system bereformed?Ÿ
To what extent do the different electoralsystems in the UK produce different outcomes? Ÿ
Make out a case in favour of retaining the‘first past the post’ electoral system for the House of Commons.Ÿ
Assess the advantages of using proportional representation electoral systemsŸ
Should ‘first past the post’ continue to be usedfor elections to the House of Commons?Ÿ
Make a case in favour of electoral reform forWestminster elections.
Democracy
Ÿ Evaluate the effectiveness of the various waysin which participation and democracy could be strengthened in the UK.Ÿ
Assess the arguments in favour of the greateruse of direct democracy in the UK.Ÿ
How democratic is the UK?Ÿ To what extent would the wider use ofreferendums improve democracy in the UK?Ÿ
To what extent does democracy in the UK sufferfrom a ‘participation crisis’?Ÿ
Should referendums be more widely used in theUK?Ÿ
How effectively does representative democracyoperate in the UK?Ÿ Should direct democracy be more widely used inthe UK?
Ÿ Assess the strengths of representative democracyas it operates in the UK.Ÿ
Assess the various measures, other thanelectoral reform, that have been suggested to improve democracy in the UK.

Thank you!!!!! Especially the democracy questions!
BTW how many people are in your politics class. i only have 6 in a pretty big sixth form
What is everyones biggest concern about the exam tomorrow
Original post by LennyBicknel
I've attached all the past paper questions for Unit 1 (thank my politics teacher!) :smile:

HONESTLY GOD BLESS YOU WHAT A GOD SEND !!!! Your teacher is a hero
What time is your exam tomorrow guys, I live in Singapore and its 3.30pm - its meant to match up to UK time
Original post by chloelong
My teacher thinks it won't come up as its not in use anywhere but it probably wouldnt hurt just reading it over

Okay will do, thank ya very much 😁

Posted from TSR Mobile
What time is your exam tomorrow guys, I live in Singapore and its 3.30pm - its meant to match up to UK time

Mine starts at 9, I didn't know you have the same exam board there

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AllanSmith22
BTW how many people are in your politics class. i only have 6 in a pretty big sixth form

I think there's 4 as classes and only one a2 class in mine, but 6 people?! Do you find you learn a lot more with a small amount of people

Posted from TSR Mobile
My teacher thinks it won't come up as its not in use anywhere but it probably wouldnt hurt just reading it over

its used for scottish local by-elections and labour/libdem leadership elections. also in the context of the 2011 referendum, you need to know AV IMO
Mine starts at 9, I didn't know you have the same exam board there

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah we do, I go to a British school :smile: its pearson edexcel

Isnt it still in use in Scottish local by-elections, and thr Lib Dem and Labour Party Leadership elections?
Has anyone got any up to date examples of PG success via direct action?
Original post by Nightcall
Isnt it still in use in Scottish local by-elections, and thr Lib Dem and Labour Party Leadership elections?

It is, but I'm fairly sure that you'll never get a question on it - this sounds flimsy, but I remember reading that somewhere.
Yeah we do, I go to a British school :smile: its pearson edexcel

That's awesome ☺️I wondered why I saw people posting at 3am!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nightcall

My mistake yeah it is, its used in the party leadership elections and by-elections for House of Lords - i still don't think it will come up though as it was rejected in 2011 - though u could definitely use it for an example in a question on adoption of new systems
That's awesome ☺️I wondered why I saw people posting at 3am!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha yeah had to wait for everyone to come online! Its 6pm here

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending