The Student Room Group

Do you support gay marriage?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by urbanlocations
I fully support it. Only low life's don't support it. This is coming from a Roman Catholic.
Do you think that people WANT to be gay? You're obviously born gay.
Plus there's gay's in every religion from muslim. christian etc etc.
If they love someone that much why should we judge them?

Of the people I know who are religious the ones who are most open to gay marriage have been catholics. This might be surprising at first considering the media portrays catholics as pious and traditionalist but this has been the opposite of my experience. I have seen more vitriol spouted from the mouth of evangelicals and muslims.

Being anti gay is no different than being racist or holding a prejudice to any religious person.

Be accused of Islamophobia then you are a bad person so why is a a muslim who happens to be homophobic not viewed the same way?
Original post by pereira325
No I don't support it. But it does not mean I treat anyone LBGTQ differently in real life. Partly my disapproval lies because:
1. There is civil partnerships for gays/lesbians but not for straight couples- created exactly for that reason...
2. I believe marriage is between a man and a woman by principle (partly based on what I interpret from contemporary Christianity)
3. I believe the purpose of life is to have a family, and marriage is a union in which a family can be made securely - men and women have "complementative reproductive parts"
So yeah, marriage is between man and woman, and I don't think my opinion would change even with more threads like these.

Why should Christianity be concerned about a marriage conducted in a secular institution?

So why about adoption? Is an adopted child more secure in a home because the adoptive parents have "complementative reproductive parts" ?

There are more holes in your conclusions than my colander.
Original post by Cooliomed
=
So why about adoption? Is an adopted child more secure in a home because the adoptive parents have "complementative reproductive parts" ?=

You'd be surprised how many think that.
Original post by Mactotaur

Yes, a**e h***s!
Original post by Abdifarah
Homosexuality is forbidden in all Abrahamic religions

Judaic practice is varied and you'll be surprised how it's a non-issue for many Jews. As for Islam, homosexuality is not expressly forbidden in the Qur'an. And the prophet Mohammed never punished any homosexual in his lifetime.
Original post by Ladbants
I know it is already legal in the UK but I was wondering what people thought about the issue.

I support being kind to gay people but not gay marriage. Even gay civil partnership was acceptable. What gay marriage symbolises is people trying to put God's believing on gay marriage when any religion =\= gay marriage.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jhansen23
Judaic practice is varied and you'll be surprised how it's a non-issue for many Jews. As for Islam, homosexuality is not expressly forbidden in the Qur'an. And the prophet Mohammed never punished any homosexual in his lifetime.

I love these arguments that try to find small exceptions to make an argument. It's very SJW style.

In other words gay marriage is a massive issue for most Jews and Muslims.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Some of the replies to this are very bizarre. So many people seem to be under the impression that supporting gay marriage is the same as rejecting traditional marriage. Picture your own wedding day. It will literally not be affected by gay marriage being legal. If you are deserving of such happiness, then why shouldn't anyone else, especially when it literally affects you in no way??

Also, a lot of people seem to think that by supporting LGBT, every gay person is going to try to make them fall in love with them. I'm sure many of you struggle to attract people of the opposite sex, let alone someone who is fully aware that you're straight. So much of homophobia is based on inferiority.

You may believe one thing because of your religion, but don't most religions also teach tolerance and love, as well as letting others do what they want without judgment? You are not a God and so what other people do really isn't any of your business. I'm sure if you got to know a gay couple, who face enough struggles, especially in countries that aren't as tolerant as the UK, you would become entirely unphased by a concept that is alien to you.
Original post by DrLovejoy
I support being kind to gay people but not gay marriage. Even gay civil partnership was acceptable. What gay marriage symbolises is people trying to put God's believing on gay marriage when any religion =\= gay marriage.

Posted from TSR Mobile

1) If God exists I love the way you think you know his/her view on marriage which is a human construction and God's apparent view is taken from books written hundreds of years ago by various people. It God is so immensely powerful then it is inconceivable that you or any other person will know what he/she believes of marriage full stop.

2) Secular marriage has nothing to do with religion so if God was against it then it is again irrelevant.
Im not saying my opinion on gay marriage but the above arguements make no sense.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mactotaur

After this long on TSR, I'm sad to say it doesn't surprise me anymore.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What does your religion have to do with someone else's secular marriage? OR someone else's religious marriage if they have a different religion?
Original post by imran_
Wont have the brain to understand science? Lol I got an offer to study physics at Cambridge. If you don't believe me have a look on my page :-)
You're telling me to get a life when you've got full bars on your rep thing? I suggest you go get a job. Silly boy

Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Funny because physics doesn't get offered at undergraduate level at Cambridge. Didn't Mummy tell you lying was bad?

I've been here longer than you have so I post more. Problem? Unfortunately, I was born with boobs and a vagina. So wrong gender. Hilarious you can't see the female sign on my profile.

LMAO, outed! Lying is haraam imran, you should know that :yes:
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
LMAO, outed! Lying is haraam imran, you should know that :yes:

Read on bebs. I wanna know how he mentioned philosophy and Computer science in a PS. I want to do the same for Chemistry and English :frown:

Spoiler

No, "homosexuality" is not forbidden in "Islam". Homosexuality is illegal in the laws of some Muslim countries that have retained or adopted Western sodomy laws and have attempted to justify them by reference to a mistaken interpretation of the Qur'an.

You'd get on well with the self-proclaimed sheikhs of TSR. :rolleyes:
Reply 455
I remember you writing in a Cambridge thread and you mentioned the A level subjects. None of them have anything to do with Philosophy. You can still be ignorant and someone who got into Cambridge. Honestly I doubt that you have an offer.

And you have an offer from Queen Mary right? Interesting, how did you manage to write a philosophy AND a computer science personal statement in one?

@Cobalt_
@hannahrobinsxn

Makes everything super legit.... :wink:

Shot down in flames. :rofl:
I remember you writing in a Cambridge thread and you mentioned the A level subjects. None of them have anything to do with Philosophy. You can still be ignorant and someone who got into Cambridge. Honestly I doubt that you have an offer.

And you have an offer from Queen Mary right? Interesting, how did you manage to write a philosophy AND a computer science personal statement in one?

@Cobalt_
@hannahrobinsxn

Makes everything super legit.... :wink:

Absolutely ruthless

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Josb
Shot down in flames. :rofl:

Patheticness at its finest :wink:

Original post by Sacred Ground
Absolutely ruthless

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sodomy is haram though right? So even if Islam allowed gay marriage how would they make love?
I love these arguments that try to find small exceptions to make an argument. It's very SJW style.

In other words gay marriage is a massive issue for most Jews and Muslims.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're missing the point here. These are not small exceptions. In Islam for instance, homosexuality is not forbidden, but many conservative Muslims misinterpret Qur'anic verses and create an issue when there really doesn't need to be one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending