The Student Room Group

Major leak from Brussels reveals NHS wil be ‘KILLED OFF’ if Britain remains in the EU

Hundreds of papers from the secretive trade talks between the US and EU have been released online.

They appear to confirm fears that the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership talks between Brussels and Washington will, when ratified, lead to the health service being privatised or dismantled.

The documents, obtained by Greenpeace Netherlands, include a US proposal to have a committee with representatives from Washington and Brussels to meet each year “to review state-owned enterprises and monopolies” which would include the NHS.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/666454/NHS-EU-killed-off-Brexit-Remain-Leave-referendum-Brussels-European-Union

Scroll to see replies

The EU is currently negotiating terms specifically to protect public services like the NHS.

We're going to join TTIP either way, anyone who seriously believes a Tory government wouldn't force that on us really is stupid. The only difference is that the EU has the negotiating power to protect public services. (And also the willingness to do it - why would the Tories? They're already privatising the NHS...)
I'd muc rather leave the NHS in the hands of Gove and Johnson who wish to privatise it.
In my opinion it is long dead
Reply 4
So far the UK is the only EU state to support TTIP, so leaving would just fast track its signing massively. France are actually doing their best to block it for the rest of us in the EU, so actually leaving is giving a green light to the NHS being sold off.
Wouldn't trust express.co.uk.

A lot of the things they write about leaving the EU is quite biased and as such, i've grown to hate them. A lot of news outlets are quite polarised on the matter.
Reply 6
Original post by JordanL_
The EU is currently negotiating terms specifically to protect public services like the NHS.

We're going to join TTIP either way, anyone who seriously believes a Tory government wouldn't force that on us really is stupid. The only difference is that the EU has the negotiating power to protect public services. (And also the willingness to do it - why would the Tories? They're already privatising the NHS...)

Difference is that we can vote to remove ourselves from TTIP at the next GE, we can't do the same in the EU.
Original post by EuanF
Difference is that we can vote to remove ourselves from TTIP at the next GE, we can't do the same in the EU.

Yeah, of course. The Tories are selling our public services, they've butchered our entire education system, they're stripping away our rights, giving tax cuts to the rich and stealing from the poor. They've seen virtually no backlash in the polls.

But next GE we'll vote them out.

How naive.
Omggg but the euuu created and gave us the nhs in 1975 why would they destroy it?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
If they ever got rid of the NHS I think the public would go absolute crazy...
Original post by NHM
If they ever got rid of the NHS I think the public would go absolute crazy...

They really wouldn't. They've been privatising NHS (and schools) since they got into power. People barely notice, and they quickly forget about it. They aren't suffering in the polls at all.
Reply 11
Original post by WhiteMan16
They appear to confirm fears that the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership talks between Brussels and Washington will, when ratified, lead to the health service being privatised or dismantled.

No they don't.

The documents, obtained by Greenpeace Netherlands, include a US proposal to have a committee with representatives from Washington and Brussels to meet each year “to review state-owned enterprises and monopolies” which would include the NHS.

Now, I've looked through all the documents that Greenpeace Netherlands released and I cannot find where that sentence is supposed to be taken from.

Indeed, if you read Document 14, which is the main one addressing state-owned enterprises and monopolies, it is extremely clear that state parties have every right to establish such things.
Reply 12
Original post by Callicious

A lot of the things they write about leaving the EU is quite biased and as such, i've grown to hate them. A lot of news outlets are quite polarised on the matter.

They lifted their story almost verbatim from a UKIP press release.
Reply 13
Yeah, of course. The Tories are selling our public services, they've butchered our entire education system, they're stripping away our rights, giving tax cuts to the rich and stealing from the poor. They've seen virtually no backlash in the polls.

But next GE we'll vote them out.

How naive.

Sorry, where did it become impossible to vote out the tories in a GE?
Original post by EuanF
Sorry, where did it become impossible to vote out the tories in a GE?

It's not impossible, but it's not going to happen either. You know that.
Reply 15
It's not impossible, but it's not going to happen either. You know that.

They got, what, ~30% of the vote last year? It's hardly impossible. They only got in by fluke of FPTP this year and by running on the referendum promise (Otherwise they'd have lost pretty severely to UKIP and labour)
Original post by Callicious

Their owner's a UKIP donor.
Reply 17
Original post by L i b
No they don't.

Now, I've looked through all the documents that Greenpeace Netherlands released and I cannot find where that sentence is supposed to be taken from.

Indeed, if you read Document 14, which is the main one addressing state-owned enterprises and monopolies, it is extremely clear that state parties have every right to establish such things.

Yes it does.
Original post by EuanF
They got, what, ~30% of the vote last year? It's hardly impossible. They only got in by fluke of FPTP this year and by running on the referendum promise (Otherwise they'd have lost pretty severely to UKIP and labour)

They're currently in the process of changing constituency borders and removing seats from parliament to give themselves a stronger majority. If we leave the EU, UKIP, the only viable third party (as awful as that is) will disappear, and then the Tories will have an even stronger majority.
Reply 19
They're currently in the process of changing constituency borders and removing seats from parliament to give themselves a stronger majority. If we leave the EU, UKIP, the only viable third party (as awful as that is) will disappear, and then the Tories will have an even stronger majority.

Ah yes, gerrymandering and rotten boroughs, A.K.A Malta in the EU as well as the other over-represented states.

UKIP will likely not disappear, Farage will either create a new party or reform the goals of UKIP.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending