The Student Room Group

Edexcel Government & Politics - Unit 1 06/06/16

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The_Phlox
Can I have that please ?

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1465124464.591425.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1465124484.464043.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1465124514.353020.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1465124524.469448.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1465124536.017002.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1465124548.531825.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1465124564.486075.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1465124574.682400.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1465124586.301495.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1465124595.932011.jpg

Obviously you don't need to know about all of policies in the manifestos just choose a couple from each one and the table explains the consensus and adversarial politics over particular issues

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 581
Original post by chloelong
so i'd note things like

AMS is a hybrid system which produces a multi-party system due to the fact the regional voting part makes the system more roughly proportional to votes. Due to the differential topup, smaller parties which may be disadvantaged by FPTP part and the Winner's Bonus, are advantaged and vice versa. For example, in the 2016 local scottish elections, the Tories who are usually unpopular in Scotland won 31 seats all together, from a differential top up of 21 seats from their 7 constituency seats. Likewise, due to the fact SNP won 63 seats, missing out on a majority due to their successes in the constituency part, so only got a differential top up of 4 regional seats.

Wait are the SNP in a coalition since they don't have a majority?
Original post by xxvine
Wait are the SNP in a coalition since they don't have a majority?

No, they decided to run the Scottish Parliament as a minority as they were only 4 short :smile:
Original post by jjbloomy
Ahaha so instead of actually revising I've been procrastinating by predicting what may come up. Say if any of you agree with them.(I'm not revising elections so haven't included that). These are my predictions for the 25 markers

Pressure Groups
- Their importance/how powerful they are
- Pressure groups and political participation

Democracy
- Direct democracy (with the focus on referendums)
- Political Participation

Political Parties
- Labour Party and tradition
- Conservative Party and tradition (One Nation/Thactherism)
- Coalition government and how faithful the parties remained to their ideologies

Saw that some people haven't seen it and can't find it so here it is
Is it true that 56/80 is an A? That's what we've been told, not bad really.
If anyone wants some of this content in the 2015 general election book hmu and I'll quote you the pictures cause it has some useful stats and info in it ImageUploadedByStudent Room1465124795.220387.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
For ur 5 markers -

I would go into more detail about functional representation - the fact it is representation of specific issues people have - for example, AGE UK employs solicitors to protect their members (the elderly) when they have been legally abused. I would defintely go into more detail on your five marker. As in explain who Trade Unions and Student Unions (even though its obvious you really need to spell it out. As in 'Student Unions which represent the interests of students in the UK and ensuring they have a platform to be represented to the government.'

Likewise, with your 10 marker, I would go into more detail. Literally explain everything you say and the examples you give - the bit about the Countryside Alliance is explained well. I would go into a bit more detail about ur points - as in you could quickly note how powerful groups are usually insider - and you could link that to elitism briefly. But generally your 10 marker seems clear and really good. Try and not use brackets and put in rather, 'evidence of the political theory of tyranny of the majority'.

Your 25 marker is really good. I personally would use less examples and explain them in more detail in relation to the question but they are really good examples and generally great detail I think! :smile: I would tend to use 1 or 2 examples of each point but only if I can explain them really well and link it to my point and the question. :smile:

Hope that helped a bit!

Thank you!!! That helped alot, especially the examples! :smile: But with the 5 marker, I was told there are no A02 marking points, only A01 points so describing examples in detail isnt necessary??
Original post by Nightcall

For Unit 1, it was as low as 42/80 for an A in January 2009 and 49/80 in june 2010! Unbelievable!
Original post by chocolate_cat_99
Thank you!!! That helped alot, especially the examples! :smile: But with the 5 marker, I was told there are no A02 marking points, only A01 points so describing examples in detail isnt necessary??

You're right, but make sure you explain your examples in term of the question - you don't need to go into too much detail though. But make sure you're points are fully explained :smile:
For Unit 1, it was as low as 42/80 for an A in January 2009 and 49/80 in june 2010! Unbelievable!

Ahh i really hope its that low this year! desperately need a high A to make sure my Unit 2 doesn't bring me down to a B
Original post by Nightcall

Yeah, as years go on the grade boundaries get higher since everyone done past papers. This year will probably be a bit higher unless they put out a terrible paper like they did with Econ 😰

Thats a gigantic confidence boost then!
Original post by mollyadtr
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1465124464.591425.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1465124484.464043.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1465124514.353020.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1465124524.469448.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1465124536.017002.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1465124548.531825.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1465124564.486075.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1465124574.682400.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1465124586.301495.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1465124595.932011.jpg

Obviously you don't need to know about all of policies in the manifestos just choose a couple from each one and the table explains the consensus and adversarial politics over particular issues

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you, you've been so helpful over the past few days. Just a quick note though, now COrbyn is in charge, he is against trident. Might be worth slipping that in
Ahh i really hope its that low this year! desperately need a high A to make sure my Unit 2 doesn't bring me down to a B

Ikr, I insanely struggle with unit 2 a lot more. Especially all of it XD
Original post by alevelpain
Thank you, you've been so helpful over the past few days. Just a quick note though, now COrbyn is in charge, he is against trident. Might be worth slipping that in

Ah yeah definitely true, I heard he cycles and is a vegetarian so I think he takes a pretty good stand on the environment too!
And no problem at all☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile
Main areas of adversary and consensus politics 2015/16 ?
Original post by mollyadtr
Ah yeah definitely true, I heard he cycles and is a vegetarian so I think he takes a pretty good stand on the environment too!
And no problem at all☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile

So true! Also fun fact - during the 2009 MP expenses scandal, they found he was the MP that had claimed the least amount of money out of everyone - no matter where you stand on his policies and leadership type he seems like such a genuine politician!
I saw a post with what someone thought would come up (some person that isnt doing elections) but i cant seem to find it and dont know which thread it was in
So true! Also fun fact - during the 2009 MP expenses scandal, they found he was the MP that had claimed the least amount of money out of everyone - no matter where you stand on his policies and leadership type he seems like such a genuine politician!

I can't agree more he really is compared to some of the other dodgy politicians out there!! He might be on the older side but he seems like a nice fella, I have him on snapchat even that makes him seem like a politician that can actually function around normal people!

Posted from TSR Mobile
also main areas of Labour focus under Corbyn?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending