The Student Room Group

Edexcel Government & Politics - Unit 1 06/06/16

Scroll to see replies

Original post by backup1
So for the ten markers do we need an intro and conclusion? As my class were told we only needed a conclusion if the question was something like '... is this true?' or 'what is the strongest factor?'.

Oh no for the 10 marks don't bother it's a waste of time cause of the limited time we have😕..as long as you've got 3 paragraphs for the 10 you're good to move on to the essay question but if that kinda question comes up maybe use the last paragraph as the point you think is the strongest factor or round it up with a final sentence about if somethings true if ya get what I mean

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by chloelong
Yeah those are the ones, i wish he had snapchat omg

I know my my life would be complete, felt bad for him though cause my teacher said no one liked miliband during the election because he couldn't eat a bacon sandwich properly 😢

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mollyadtr
Oh no for the 10 marks don't bother it's a waste of time cause of the limited time we have😕..as long as you've got 3 paragraphs for the 10 you're good to move on to the essay question but if that kinda question comes up maybe use the last paragraph as the point you think is the strongest factor or round it up with a final sentence about if somethings true if ya get what I mean

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks so much :smile: ! Also do you think it'd be a good idea to do the 25 markers first?
Original post by Louise12307
What's corbyn's snapchat? Love that guy.

jeremycorbynmp :smile:
Original post by backup1
Thanks so much :smile: ! Also do you think it'd be a good idea to do the 25 markers first?

Maybe if that's what you'd feel comfortable doing? I'd probably glance at the 25 markers first but do the smaller questions first so I can already form a plan for the essay in my head, but it's all preference..I've never actually done a full unit 1 paper in time conditions so I wouldn't know 😅someone might have better advice than me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by backup1

Often the questions string from each other, so by doing the first 2 you'll be able to think quicker for the 25 marker. Also, subconsciously while doing 5 and 10 marker, you think about the answer for the 25 marker. So overall, do it in order I recommend :tongue:
Original post by chocolate_cat_99
Thank you, I knew part b was very waffly and unclear so I shall practice some more. Really helpful! :smile:

Oh I forgot to add that you don't need to write out your questions! Timing is crucial on this exam and it's not necessary! That's why you tick the box and just answer in the a/b/c spaces provided :smile:
Original post by alevelpain
Often the questions string from each other, so by doing the first 2 you'll be able to think quicker for the 25 marker. Also, subconsciously while doing 5 and 10 marker, you think about the answer for the 25 marker. So overall, do it in order I recommend :tongue:

Yeah that sounds more logical to be honest! thank you
agree with pressure groups ones! they always seem to be on
1. Effect on democracy / how good are they for democracy
2. Elitist vs. Pluralist
3. Importance of pressure groups - is pressure group power in decline etc.

What points would you write for a question on whether PGs are elitist or pluralist?
Reply 629
What are the similar ' points for elections producing different outcomes?
Original post by romaiseb
What points would you write for a question on whether PGs are elitist or pluralist?

Pluralist

- over 7000 pressure groups, freedom to join pressure groups
- represent minority voices - spreading power to more people than parliament does.
- huge membership size of some groups allows educative function and participative function (as of pluralist society) - allows participation between elections - pressure groups ability to use functional representation can provide representation that MPs and governments cannot always.
- pressure groups are a fundamental part of any liberal democracy and hold the government to account

Elitism

- governments have power to choose insiders/outsiders (though governments are changing so this isn't permanent e.g. countryside alliance)
- government is not a neutral arbiter (as produce manifestos which outside their bias)
- business and economic groups tend to be better funded and resourced - more likely to achieve goals (CBI)
- Pressure groups themselves aren't democratically elected - only accountable to themselves and not the people as governments are.
- A lot of participation is shallow (e.g petition signing online and liking pages on facebook) - chequebook membership like National Trust
Pluralist

- over 7000 pressure groups, freedom to join pressure groups
- represent minority voices - spreading power to more people than parliament does.
- huge membership size of some groups allows educative function and participative function (as of pluralist society) - allows participation between elections - pressure groups ability to use functional representation can provide representation that MPs and governments cannot always.
- pressure groups are a fundamental part of any liberal democracy and hold the government to account

Elitism

- governments have power to choose insiders/outsiders (though governments are changing so this isn't permanent e.g. countryside alliance)
- government is not a neutral arbiter (as produce manifestos which outside their bias)
- business and economic groups tend to be better funded and resourced - more likely to achieve goals (CBI)
- Pressure groups themselves aren't democratically elected - only accountable to themselves and not the people as governments are.
- A lot of participation is shallow (e.g petition signing online and liking pages on facebook) - chequebook membership like National Trust

You are an absolute star, thank you so much!!
Original post by xxvine

Pr systems - party list and stv gives better representations so smaller parties, accurately proportional, results are accurate but more likely to result in unstable government eg coalitions

Major parties tend to dominate the outcome in whatever system is used
All systems provide geographical points all in the uk with representation just to varying degrees

I'm struggling...the differences are much easier ugh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by romaiseb
You are an absolute star, thank you so much!!

No problem! Hope that helped :smile:
Original post by xxvine

FPTP has produced a coalition & minority, party list still favours larger parties regardless just not as much, AMS has produced a majority government
Original post by mollyadtr
Pr systems - party list and stv gives better representations so smaller parties, accurately proportional, results are accurate but more likely to result in unstable government eg coalitions

Major parties tend to dominate the outcome in whatever system is used
All systems provide geographical points all in the uk with representation just to varying degrees

I'm struggling...the differences are much easier ugh

Posted from TSR Mobile

FPTP has produced a coalition & minority, party list still favours larger parties regardless just not as much, AMS has produced a majority government

If this helps :P

If this helps :P

Yes it has thank you very much😁

Posted from TSR Mobile
Someone said Fathers for Justice was too old of a case study to use now..what other demonstrations have turned violent recently?
Someone said Fathers for Justice was too old of a case study to use now..what other demonstrations have turned violent recently?

Anti-austerity protests - outside St. Pauls :smile:
Anti-austerity protests - outside St. Pauls :smile:

:redface: thanks I didn't realise that turned violent, I just googled student protests about tuition fees Nov 2015

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending