The Student Room Group

A2 AQA Geography GEOG 3 2016

Scroll to see replies

If we're doing that exam question about plate tectonics theory and seismic events, what type of plate boundaries would you describe? Like with convergent margins would it be oceanic/oceanic, continental/continental or oceanic/continental?
Reply 781
Could they ask a 40 mark question for world cities directly on an individual process? Such as suburbanisation??? Because I swear there isn't enough to write!!!!
Reply 782
Original post by psychemma
We need to know the formation of the EU?!

Formed after the ww2 to improve economy and remain peaceful... That's it!
Reply 783
Original post by Mullhouse
Does anybody know how do answer these development and globalisation questions?

Suggest reasons for the development of global marketing (8 marks)
Outline the formation and functioning of the EU (8 marks)
Discuss how changes in patterns of production have promoted globalisation (10 marks)
Discuss the role that recent NICs such as Brazil and Russia play in the global economy (10 marks)

nics q - BRIC countries have attracted lots of investment and are growing rapidly, contributing to economic growth. Eg India, growth in IT and call centres in Bangalore. Increasing role in global economy
Have their own TNCs, and are investing abroad, encouraging economic growth there too..
Negs: Lack of investment from MEDCs/TNCs to the least developed countries, and deindustrialisation in MEDCs - unemployment as steel plants close down.
Reply 784

Discuss how changes in patterns of production have promoted globalisation (10 marks)
Discuss the role that recent NICs such as Brazil and Russia play in the global economy (10 marks)

Patterns of production - vertical organisation structure eg Nike - subcontracts 99% of production, to where costs are low. So locate in China/Vietnam/Indonesia etc. Increased interdependence and financial flows between these countries
Whereas before one factory would produce an entire product vs now where theres a hierachy, components made across the world and shipped to be put together, then sold elsewhere?
Kind of made this up I'm not really sure.. does anybody else have ideas? Not sure how to get 10 marks!
Reply 785

Formation of the EU after ww2 to promote peace, then talk about initial members and how its grown eg A8 countries in 2004 like Poland
Functioning.. all members contribute taxes to a central fund. Regional Development Policy means this is given to the poorest states to encourage growth there, usually new members from Eastern Europe such as Bulgaria and Romania.
Common Agricultural Policy - subsidies, guaranteed prices, excess sold on global market.
Developing infrastructure Eg Channel Tunnel
Free movement of people for work and training
Monetary Union between 15 members, all use Euro promoting trade
Free trade
I'm not sure if this is what it means by functions though..:/
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 786
Original post by SJJ97
Hahahah I know what you mean but truthfully I doubt that will be a question, like I said planning and managment takes in to account all 4 of those processes so focus on that!

Do you have any examples/plans of what a 40 marker would look like on planning and management?
Could they specifically ask about sports-led regeneration?
Reply 788
Original post by SJJ97
I have googled everything and I honestly don't think it will come up as a 40 marker! There is not enough to write... The only thing that could happen is if they ask about planning and managment because that incorporates suburbanisation

I guess so, thank you!!
Outline the structure and nature of an ecosystem.

An ecosystem is a set of relationships between all the organisms and non-living factors in a particular area. The organisms that live there are called biotic factors (e.g plants/animals) and non-living objects are called abiotic factors (e.g water availability). The organisms depend on physical factors and each other in order to survive, so relationships between organisms are very important. Ecosystems can vary in size, they can be either small (e.g ponds) or large (e.g forests). In addition, energy moves between organisms in an ecosystem. Energy enters an ecosystem via photosynthesis and plants use energy from sunlight to grow and reproduce. The energy is then stored in the plant and moves up the food chain when the plant is eaten. This process continues throughout an ecosystem, when one organism eats another, it gets the energy from that organism. This means that energy flows between all organisms in an ecosystem, Furthermore, food chains and food webs show how energy moves through an ecosystem. Each stage in a food chain is called a thophic level. The first stage is occupied by producers who produce their own food. The following levels are occupied by primary, secondary and tertiary consumers in that exact order. However, food chains tend to over-simplify relationships as some consumers cannot be categorized in one trophic level. They show one way how energy is moved within an ecosystem. Food webs are more complicated than that and show multiple food chains and how their energy is transferred within an ecosystem. However, 90% of energy is lost at each trophic level in a food chain. Its lost between sunlight and the producers (e.g autotrophs) because some parts of the plants cannot photosynthesize (e.g stem and trunk). Less than 50% of sunlight is actually used in photosynthesis. Finally, energy is also lost by the consumers. Only 10% of energy stored by autotrophs is actually passed down to herbivores and the same for herbivores to carnivores. This is because some parts of the organisms aren't eaten (e.g fur, bones, roots), some energy is lost as waste (e.g droppings), and some energy is lost as consumers use energy to move and for body heat, so its not passed to the next trophic level.

This is my attempt at the question SJJ97 posted yesterday for ecosystems. I've included pretty much everything there is possible to say. I dont know whether this is a 7, 8 or 10 mark question but if this did come up, this model answer should get you full marks and if not, very close to it. Please also let me know what you think about about it. Thanks. I will be posting more answers to other questions that i'm practicing today so let me know what u think for those aswell. Cheers
Reply 790

Ive got the 3rd essay. If you (and anyone else who needs it)can PM me your emails then I'll send it:smile:
Surely there isn't enough to write about in the 40 mark question "How has the plate tectonics theory helped humans prepare for seismic events"? Because in the exemplar script it asks that question but for volcanoes AND seismic events so there is much more to write about
Original post by lulus1
I have in my notes that 130,000 buildings were destroyed and 260,000 damaged during the Tohoku earthquake? Is this incorrect, or is it a result of the tsunami and not the earthquake?

I was referring to Kobe specifically, the earthquake didn't make any buildings fall but in other places in Japan it must have
and the 130,000 houses destroyed was from the tsunami
Original post by psychemma
If we're doing that exam question about plate tectonics theory and seismic events, what type of plate boundaries would you describe? Like with convergent margins would it be oceanic/oceanic, continental/continental or oceanic/continental?

it can be both depending on the earthquake cause
Nepal earthquake was on a collision boundary - continental to continental
Kobe earthquake was on a destructive boundary - oceanic to continental
Haiti earthquake was on a slip/strike boundary - not sure if they were both continental or both oceanic
don't think you need to know specifically if it was oceanic or continental plates though, plate boundary and the name of the plates should be good enough
Original post by Geog_123
Hi does anyone know if we can do the essay first and then do the 25 mark questions or do we have to do them in order of the question booklet? thanks 😌

you can do them in any order - just write the number of the question
how would you answer a question on the development continuum such as 'Outline and illustrate the concept of ‘the development continuum’. (8 marks)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Atomicmat
Can we please make a solid plan for this essay bc it's stressing me out:

compare and contrast the nature of volcanic hazards with seismic hazards

very hard as a 40 marker :/
I guess you'd talk about the different plate boundaries and how a volcanic event can occur and how a seismic event can occur - then brief examples of two events
then I think compare 2 developing countries one with a seismic event and one with a volcanic event - outline the hazards that occurred and how these hazards came about
If one was more severe/long lasting - I guess you can determine that by mentioning what the impacts of the hazards were if it were greater in one developing country than the other developing country
Then I think you would need to be specific to the country and maybe say about how planning and management cannot prevent the hazards as such but can prevent the impacts from the hazard event being so great
I think then do the same for 2 developed countries

:/ ah i really don't know if this would be good enough - can't think of anything else. Would hate a 40 marker on this
Reply 797
Original post by tcameron
I was referring to Kobe specifically, the earthquake didn't make any buildings fall but in other places in Japan it must have
and the 130,000 houses destroyed was from the tsunami

Oh so, after the Kobe earthquake in 1995 the buildings were redone, and then in the Tohoku earthquake in 2011, there was no damage to Kobe?
Original post by maximiles97
Outline the structure and nature of an ecosystem.

An ecosystem is a set of relationships between all the organisms and non-living factors in a particular area. The organisms that live there are called biotic factors (e.g plants/animals) and non-living objects are called abiotic factors (e.g water availability). The organisms depend on physical factors and each other in order to survive, so relationships between organisms are very important. Ecosystems can vary in size, they can be either small (e.g ponds) or large (e.g forests). In addition, energy moves between organisms in an ecosystem. Energy enters an ecosystem via photosynthesis and plants use energy from sunlight to grow and reproduce. The energy is then stored in the plant and moves up the food chain when the plant is eaten. This process continues throughout an ecosystem, when one organism eats another, it gets the energy from that organism. This means that energy flows between all organisms in an ecosystem, Furthermore, food chains and food webs show how energy moves through an ecosystem. Each stage in a food chain is called a thophic level. The first stage is occupied by producers who produce their own food. The following levels are occupied by primary, secondary and tertiary consumers in that exact order. However, food chains tend to over-simplify relationships as some consumers cannot be categorized in one trophic level. They show one way how energy is moved within an ecosystem. Food webs are more complicated than that and show multiple food chains and how their energy is transferred within an ecosystem. However, 90% of energy is lost at each trophic level in a food chain. Its lost between sunlight and the producers (e.g autotrophs) because some parts of the plants cannot photosynthesize (e.g stem and trunk). Less than 50% of sunlight is actually used in photosynthesis. Finally, energy is also lost by the consumers. Only 10% of energy stored by autotrophs is actually passed down to herbivores and the same for herbivores to carnivores. This is because some parts of the organisms aren't eaten (e.g fur, bones, roots), some energy is lost as waste (e.g droppings), and some energy is lost as consumers use energy to move and for body heat, so its not passed to the next trophic level.

This is my attempt at the question SJJ97 posted yesterday for ecosystems. I've included pretty much everything there is possible to say. I dont know whether this is a 7, 8 or 10 mark question but if this did come up, this model answer should get you full marks and if not, very close to it. Please also let me know what you think about about it. Thanks. I will be posting more answers to other questions that i'm practicing today so let me know what u think for those aswell. Cheers

Wow! Thanks this is amazing!
Original post by lulus1
Oh so, after the Kobe earthquake in 1995 the buildings were redone, and then in the Tohoku earthquake in 2011, there was no damage to Kobe?

yeah - not sure how far the tohoku earthquake was from kobe though, but it is still a valid point to make if there was a question on evaluating the management techniques for a earthquake

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending