The Student Room Group

WJEC AS ICT Exam 6th June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by PedanticStudent
There will be a few oddball marks without a doubt ie: 2-5 marks worth of some unfamiliar question:

Summer 2015 - Game playing device HCI
Summer 2014 - Advantages/Disadvantages of CAD,,, absolute cell referencing
Winter 2014 - Loyalty Cards

are just a few examples, there has been a pattern of something new appearing each time.

Let's see the new possibilities for 2016:

Topic 8 Networks:
"Internet and its uses, including: benefits and development, communication, sharing data and ideas, accessing information"
"FTP (definition and purpose), newsgroups,chatrooms"
"Extranet" ? Actually not sure about newtworks if those been or not in AS, kinda getting confused with A2 at the moment lol

Topic 9 HCI:
"Graphical devices such as graphics pads"

Topic 10 Social Issues:
"Acceptable use of ICT equipment and services"

Topic 12 Simulation Modelling:
"Issues relating to hardware used for simulation modelling, including parallel and distribute processing"

Topic 6.3 ICT in Health:
"New future and development and limitation"
"Software languages (PROLOG, ASPRIN)"
"neural networks and how parallel processors work"
"Medical uses of expert system e.g. MYCIN, NEOMYCIN etc"
"DISTRIBUTED medical database"

These are the amplification of the Topics in the spec. which (I assume) has not been in the past exams. Could get a direct question on these, or maybe not at all.
does anyone have any example answers for a question such as 'describe in detail the purpose of two functions from list A and one function from list B which you have used in your spreadsheet (6 marks), i am looking through my script from last year and i only got 3 marks for just saying what each function was, but i cant understand how to get the second mark for each function? thanks
Can someone please write an exemplar answer to "There are financial costs involved in getting good quality information. State two other costs and, giving a different example for each show how these costs can arise"
Not sure how to answer it, mark scheme confusing me.
Thanks
Guess I'm lucky to have an excellent teacher who is very conscientious and not a lazy **** like your teacher and school's management in general seems to be.

The only option realistically at this point is for you to give it a go but know that you will probably need to resit. Next time, you have the knowledge that you must learn the mark schemes and you must produce your own spreadsheet. I'll provide you with a coursework exemplar later when Im on my computer.

To be fair, I would have thought that your teacher will get their ass kicked by management for doing this to a whole class. How long has this 'teacher' been dragging people through the qualification on E's and U's?

It is a shame that you have been failed and let down by those who are supposed to help you to succeed.

its been happening since the first day, she spent all her time talking about random **** rather than teaching, and told us she wanted us to fail the mock so we would all get kicked off the course, but then faked results on our reports so she didnt get done. she stopped coming to work after feb half term and we had no teacher for about a month, then we had a supply who has no idea about the course and basically just tells us whatever ******** she feels like.

i think i accepted the fact that im gonna fail a while ago, thats why no revision is going in. ive been dreading tomorrow 😂, least the dread will be over!

thankyou, the coursework would be very helpful!
Reply 184
Original post by Oscar_Ross
Can someone please write an exemplar answer to "There are financial costs involved in getting good quality information. State two other costs and, giving a different example for each show how these costs can arise"
Thanks

Money - Data Entry/Collection, to employ staff in order to collect the actual data for the company, for example creating, designing data collection sheets.

Time - Data Processing, the use of time to actually check the entered data and process the results of them for example, new hardware/software has to be written or purchased in order to allow results to be created.
Original post by susboy
Money - Data Entry/Collection, to employ staff in order to collect the actual data for the company, for example creating, designing data collection sheets.

Time - Data Processing, the use of time to actually check the entered data and process the results of them for example, new hardware/software has to be written or purchased in order to allow results to be created.

Okay that makes a bit more sense but it says apart from financial?
Reply 186
to be honest just listing the mark scheme wont get you any marks , you just have to make full sentences using the mark scheme and you will be fine the examiners are so lazy its so weird man
Original post by AA923
to be honest just listing the mark scheme wont get you any marks , you just have to make full sentences using the mark scheme and you will be fine the examiners are so lazy its so weird man

Any idea on how to answer the question i asked up there mate?
Reply 188
Any idea on how to answer the question i asked up there mate?

tbh no ... I only know how to answer the one which lets us choose the costs
Thanks

Right. There are three distinct costs associated with obtaining good quality information:

- Financial (excluded by the question)
- Time
- Human Resources

Answer I would give:

There is a time cost(1) associated with obtaining good quality information in the Data Entry stage. For example, it can take a lot of time for the collected data to be in-putted to the computer system so that it is ready for processing. For many organisations, time is a precious resource.

Additionally, there is a human resource cost(1) surrounding the obtaining of good quality information in the Data Collection stage. For example, staff must be tasked with distributing and recollecting the data collection sheets. Staff may also be needed to carry out interviews etc. All of this makes human resources less available for other tasks.
(edited 7 years ago)
Is IT most of your guys most important subject?
Reply 191
Original post by Benteke1268

No, there are more important subjects that are essay based. Plus the other exam where I must actually "analyse" something unlike this IT1 lol I have 4 exam left
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Benteke1268

Maths and Business (welsh bacc too, but that is only there in case I fail hard in the exams). Only have M1 left after this exam.
Right. There are three distinct costs associated with obtaining good quality information:

- Financial (excluded by the question)
- Time
- Human Resources

Answer I would give:

There is a time cost(1) associated with obtaining good quality information in the Data Entry stage. For example, it can take a lot of time for the collected data to be in-putted to the computer system so that it is ready for processing. For many organisations, time is a precious resource.

Additionally, there is a human resource cost(1) surrounding the obtaining of good quality information in the Data Collection stage. For example, staff must be tasked with distributing and recollecting the data collection sheets. Staff may also be needed to carry out interviews etc. All of this makes human resources less available for other tasks.

Thanks so much really helpful
Reply 194
Original post by OwenSallows
See this to make it easier to see what could come up, I also think learning could come up, but home entertainment could also easily come up. Revising from mark schemes is the way forward! All the best.

Thank you!
Reply 195
Does anyone know how to structure the question 8 on different uses for Teaching and Learning as the mark scheme is not very helpful. cheers
I think you'll find the biggest tip is to not panic, stay positive even if there is a question or two that you're not sure about. As emanny stated, you need to expand every point you make, just putting 3 points for a 3 mark question and vaguely explaining it will not get you the marks, on most mark schemes it awards an example as the mark, so for a 3 mark question you should at least get 3 examples in each. At least this time tomorrow it will be over! :smile:
Original post by AF28
Does anyone know how to structure the question 8 on different uses for Teaching and Learning as the mark scheme is not very helpful. cheers

What year is it from?
Reply 198
Original post by OwenSallows
What year is it from?

June 2012
Original post by AF28
June 2012

Okay, so firstly you would start of by thinking about which 3 you know the most about and which ones don't clash easily.
CAL
Distance learning
Online learning
For each of these you would describe what they are, and then try to name 1 advantage and 1 disadvantage for each, and if you can remember more, even better. Also making sure that each of the advantages/disadvantages are different.
Make sure you expand on each +/- though, just to make sure that you get the marks.
This is directly from that mark scheme
"For full marks, candidates need to discuss three of the following with appropriate advantages and disadvantages (at least two of each for full marks). No mark for naming the use. No marks for a list.Maximum 5 marks for advantages / disadvantages (i.e. 2 + 3 or 3+ 2) and 3 marks for methods"
Hope this helps

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending