The Student Room Group

Can you explain this AS chemistry question?

d) The effect of gentle heat on maleic acid is shown below.

A student predicted that the yield of this reaction would be greater than 80%.
In an experiment,10.0 g of maleic acid were heated and 6.53 g of organic product were obtained.
Is the student correct? Justify your answer with a calculation using these data.

........................................................................................................................
........................................................................................................................
(2)
Reply 1
Original post by lolsweg
d) The effect of gentle heat on maleic acid is shown below.

A student predicted that the yield of this reaction would be greater than 80%.
In an experiment,10.0 g of maleic acid were heated and 6.53 g of organic product were obtained.
Is the student correct? Justify your answer with a calculation using these data.

(2)

I'm not brilliant at these kind of questions, but no-one else has answered so I'll give it a go.
So, %yield is the actual yield/the theoretical yield, multiplied by 100.
I would say the theoretical yield is 10 grams (I would use moles rather than grams but there isn't enough information in the question to work the moles out), as that is what you would expect if no reactant was lost.
The actual yield is of course 6.53 grams.
So then, do 6.53/10 multiplied by 100.
I got 65.3%, so therefore the student is wrong.

Quick Reply

Latest