The Student Room Group

British women could face Cologne-style sex attacks if we stay in the EU, says Farage.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Observatory
You are postulating that there are a lot of people in Germany who are going to stay in Germany for five years and not learn German, but who do speak good English. Why would someone do this?

I have no doubt that some people currently in Germany are fluent in English, and may still choose to come to the UK for that or whatever other reason. I do doubt that this will be more than order 10% of the total, and I suspect they will be drawn disproportionately from the higher class and better educated fraction.

It's certainly not obvious to me that someone would prefer to live in the UK than Germany on purely economic grounds.

What has language got to do with anything?

Thank to moronic leftists, people are actually born in this country these days and cannot speak English, and can go their entire lives without needing to speak English thanks to tax payer funded benefits.
Original post by The_Opinion
What has language got to do with anything?

Thank to moronic leftists, people are actually born in this country these days and cannot speak English, and can go their entire lives without needing to speak English thanks to tax payer funded benefits.

The post to which I was responding identified the English language as a key pull factor for the UK.

While it is possible to live in a country and not speak the language I am not sure this is unique to the UK.
*grabs popcorn*
You are postulating that there are a lot of people in Germany who are going to stay in Germany for five years and not learn German, but who do speak good English. Why would someone do this?

I have no doubt that some people currently in Germany are fluent in English, and may still choose to come to the UK for that or whatever other reason. I do doubt that this will be more than order 10% of the total, and I suspect they will be drawn disproportionately from the higher class and better educated fraction.

It's certainly not obvious to me that someone would prefer to live in the UK than Germany on purely economic grounds.

Because English is far more widely spoken than German and so they are more likely to speak English already. Because English is easier to learn than German. Because they prefer living in the UK for whatever other reason. Because they think they are less likely to face discrimination in hiring in the UK (as happens to former refugees with Swedish citizenship).
They already have, just look at what happened in Rotherham and Rochdale.
Original post by plstudent
Because English is far more widely spoken than German and so they are more likely to speak English already.

That is true for immigrants in general but it is not likely to be true for immigrants who have lived in Germany for at least 5 years and passed a moderated exam to demonstrate their competence in the German language.

Because they prefer living in the UK for whatever other reason. Because they think they are less likely to face discrimination in hiring in the UK (as happens to former refugees with Swedish citizenship).

Sure but what proportion are going to be like that? 10%? 5%? That's not going to threaten civil order.
Original post by The Roast
So you're denying this is a possibility?

he fails to say they could also happen if we leave the EU.

We could be struck by an asreroid thats a possibiliyu as well.
Original post by 999tigger
he fails to say they could also happen if we leave the EU.

We could be struck by an asreroid thats a possibiliyu as well.

Funny that rape on this scale happened following the arrival of the immigrants...
That is true for immigrants in general but it is not likely to be true for immigrants who have lived in Germany for at least 5 years and passed a moderated exam to demonstrate their competence in the German language.

You don't need to speak very good German to pass the citizenship exam so it would be perfectly easy to have a better command of English than that. Some other countries targeted by asylum seekers, like Sweden, have no language requirement for citizenship.

Sure but what proportion are going to be like that? 10%? 5%? That's not going to threaten civil order.
I don't know who said anything about civil order. We are talking about sex attacks by former refugees and if a single one of them is set to occur then it will be worth leaving the EU.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by dtin
They already have, just look at what happened in Rotherham and Rochdale
Keighley (2005 and 2013),
Blackpool (2006),
Oldham (2007 and 2008),
Blackburn (2007, 2008 and 2009),
Sheffield (2008),
Manchester (2008 and 2013)
Skipton (2009),
Rochdale (two cases in 2010, one in 2012 and another in 2013),
Nelson (2010),
Preston (2010)
Rotherham (2010)
Derby (2010), Telford (2012),
Bradford (2012),
Ipswich (2013),
Birmingham (2013),
Oxford (2013),
Barking (2013) and
Peterborough (2013).

Sorry dtin, fixed that for you.:smile:
Funny that rape on this scale happened following the arrival of the immigrants...

Except we arent Germany. they created a unqie situation.
They took a million
We intend to take 4,000 a year.
We already control our borders.

The only area we can have more control on borders is to either:

1. Stop EU citizens, in which case we will have to wave goodbye to access to the single market and the trade benefits that brings.
2. We stop taking claims from asylum seekers, in which case we withdraw from the 1951 Geneva Convention on refugees.
Original post by caravaggio2
Sorry dtin, fixed that for you.:smile:

**** me senseless.
Except we arent Germany. they created a unqie situation.
They took a million
We intend to take 4,000 a year.
We already control our borders.

The only area we can have more control on borders is to either:

1. Stop EU citizens, in which case we will have to wave goodbye to access to the single market and the trade benefits that brings.
2. We stop taking claims from asylum seekers, in which case we withdraw from the 1951 Geneva Convention on refugees.

Why would stopping EU citizens help the MIGRANT-caused rape epidemic??

Only a fraction of the immigrants arriving in Europe and the UK are genuine refugees. The people raping the women aren't the refugees fleeing Syria and Iraq, they're economic migrants from North Africa.

Only a fraction of the immigrants arriving in Europe and the UK are genuine refugees. The people raping the women aren't the refugees fleeing Syria and Iraq, they're economic migrants from North Africa.

Ok if your problem isnt with EU citizens, even when some of them will be awarded EU citizenship eventually, then its the other.

You are still under a duty whilst you remain signatories to the 1951 Convention to consider peoples asylum claims. You will probably get more of those claims once you leave the EU because France wont really care, so can wave them through.

So do you have some credble analysis that the rapists are from North Africa and not from Syria, Iraq and Afghanistan?

About 1/3 of the people applying are considered to be refugees.
(edited 7 years ago)
He's probably right.
Ok if your problem isnt with EU citizens, even when some of them will be awarded EU citizenship eventually, then its the other.

You are still under a duty whilst you remain signatories to the 1951 Convention to consider peoples asylum claims. You will probably get more of those claims once you leave the EU becayse France wont really care, so cna wave them through.

So do you have some credble analysis that the rapists are from North Africa and not from Syria, Iraq and Afghanistan?

I'm not going to read the whole thing, but the convention doesn't state "migrants", it only refers to refugees.
http://www.unhcr.org/uk/1951-refugee-convention.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/cologne-only-three-out-of-58-men-arrested-in-connection-with-mass-sex-attack-on-new-years-eve-are-a6874201.html

"Majority of suspects are of Algerian, Tunisian or Moroccan descent and none had recently arrived in Germany, police have reportedly said"

Where's the evidence for that?

Because many of those migrants will get EU citizenship whether they are true refugees or not.
Sweden takes over 100k refugees a year and grants citizenship after 4 years with no language requirement. The country has also had sex attacks like Cologne and has the highest rape rate in Europe.
The UK economy and the English language will be a huge pull factor for these migrants.
Original post by plstudent
You don't need to speak very good German to pass the citizenship exam so it would be perfectly easy to have a better command of English than that. Some other countries targeted by asylum seekers, like Sweden, have no language requirement for citizenship.

Generally you need a pass at B2 level which is equivalent to a full A level in the language. It's not fluency but that plus 5 years' immersion will give anyone interested in participating in the regular economy a very functional level of German. How many people from Syria are going to be natively fluent in English?

And yes there are other countries involved but the vast majority of these people are living in Germany.

I don't know who said anything about civil order. We are talking about sex attacks by former refugees and if a single one of them is set to occur then it will be worth leaving the EU.

Cologne was not shocking because it involved sex attacks. It was shocking because for one night the Federal Republic of Germany could not enforce its laws in the centre of a major city. Cologne was a secessionist insurrection that Germany briefly lost.
Although this is blatant propaganda, it holds some kind of credibility.
as a feminist, the thing that annoys me with all of this is that people like farage are sexists through and through (he wanted to get rid of parental leave in ukips 2010 manifesto) . yet then the second standing up for women allows him to be against foreigners he is practically burning his bra whilst reciting Germaine Greer's the female eunuch... he does not care about the victims, only pushing his own xenophobic agenda by exploiting an ideology he openly detests. the second those spouting this as a reason not to accept refugees actually consider the victims then i will consider this anything but the smoke screen this really is.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending