The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by little_wizard123
If Ali was so good, why did he lose so many?

Tyson lost 6 at heavyweight, it's not plausible to do a Floyd and stay undefeated. As Rk said his record is basically 56-3 anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by little_wizard123
If Ali was so good, why did he lose so many?

Can't ignore that boxing had better boxers at that time so made it more likely that he would lose. Also Ali wasn't a punk ass bitch like Mayweather who only fought who he knew he could beat. Ali called himself the greatest and proved himself in the ring too.
Original post by Zerforax
Also Ali wasn't a punk ass bitch like Mayweather who only fought who he knew he could beat.

who did Mayweather duck?
Original post by swirly
who did Mayweather duck?

The Pacman rematch because he knew he would have lost.

Let's not forget he prolonged it for a long time too :tongue:
Original post by swirly
who did Mayweather duck?

Antonio Margarito aka Wraps of God - Floyd's struggled with technical swarmers

Paul Williams - 7 foot tall welterweight with a 90-inch reach who would have caused Floyd obvious problems

Manny in his prime - Absolute PEDed up monster

Amir Khan - GOAT
Original post by Kenan and Kel
Antonio Margarito aka Wraps of God - Floyd's struggled with technical swarmers

Paul Williams - 7 foot tall welterweight with a 90-inch reach who would have caused Floyd obvious problems

Manny in his prime - Absolute PEDed up monster

Amir Khan - GOAT

You might aswell throw Sergio Martinez, Kostya Tzyu and Prince Naseem to the list, but when its all said and done he was the last man standing of his whole generation with no notable opponents remaining in sight.

People watch one Mayweather at age 38 and says he's boring. Did they even see what he did in 20s ffs. Some will say until he beats Tyson Fury he's not TBE:colonhash:
Original post by swirly
You might aswell throw Sergio Martinez, Kostya Tzyu and Prince Naseem to the list, but when its all said and done he was the last man standing of his whole generation with no notable opponents remaining in sight.

People watch one Mayweather at age 38 and says he's boring. Did they even see what he did in 20s ffs. Some will say until he beats Tyson Fury he's not TBE:colonhash:

The guys I mentioned are legitimate names. Well not Khan, but the other three. Floyd is great, there's no denying that. But there was still plenty of room to be greater.
Original post by Kenan and Kel
The guys I mentioned are legitimate names. Well not Khan, but the other three. Floyd is great, there's no denying that. But there was still plenty of room to be greater.

He's literally been accused of ducking Sergio, Kostya, and Naseem too though.

I've said before Margarito can beat Floyd. But I don't think Floyd ducked him- the fight just didn't happen.

Definitely agree with the last two sentences, especially with his Showtime trollings (in hindsight just LOL at fighting Guerrero), but just because a fight didn't happen didn't meant one ducked the other. They said he ducked Oscar, Mosely and Cotto too and look how those turned out.
Reply 4849
Ali carried on fighting when it was clear his health was deteriorating.

Floyd was a top top fighter but there's a reason his name wasn't mentioned with the GOATs.
Ali gets a lot of praise for his character and charisma too though. No one likes Mayweather.
Original post by AR_95
Ali gets a lot of praise for his character and charisma too though. No one likes Mayweather.

I think that's a conscious marketing decision though. He made himself the pantomime bad guy, especially when he developed the money persona. It very much was you don't have to pay to watch him win, pay to see him lose. Ali transcended the sport, whereas Mayweather was just about the money.
Original post by swirly
I think that's a conscious marketing decision though. He made himself the pantomime bad guy, especially when he developed the money persona. It very much was you don't have to pay to watch him win, pay to see him lose. Ali transcended the sport, whereas Mayweather was just about the money.

Ali is the greatest sportsman ever.

Thoughts on Lesnar's return to UFC?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zayn is Bae

Thoughts on Lesnar's return to UFC?

Posted from TSR Mobile

He's not so great at it:redface: why would he go back?
Original post by swirly
He's not so great at it:redface: why would he go back?

Money probs, he's a self proclaimed mercenary. Diverticulitis ruined him tbh, what he did in his first stint was unprecedented. Reckon he'll fight some bum, get a win and then main event one more, lose and return to WWE.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Man's a boss when fit and healthy.

Fight someone that's a straightforward win
Mir round 3
Jones/Cormier
Retire
Original post by The Wavefunction
Man's a boss when fit and healthy.

Fight someone that's a straightforward win
Mir round 3
Jones/Cormier
Retire

By his own admission, his fatal weakness is that he doesn't like getting hit, which doesn't exactly bode well for a combat sport. The minute someone puts that heat on him he gets Quad Studioed real quick.
Original post by swirly
By his own admission, his fatal weakness is that he doesn't like getting hit, which doesn't exactly bode well for a combat sport. The minute someone puts that heat on him he gets Quad Studioed real quick.

Thoughts on Quad Studios in 1994?
Original post by The Wavefunction
Thoughts on Quad Studios in 1994?

I know you don't care really :huff:
Original post by swirly
I know you don't care really :huff:

Soz for taking an interest, jeeeez

Latest