The Student Room Group

OCR A2 CHEMISTRY F324 and F325- 14th and 22nd June 2016- OFFICIAL THREAD

Scroll to see replies

I can't tell if I'm confusing myself here but how do we know which peak the protons are from in proton NMR? (The ones I circled) I don't even know how to ask this question properly but hoping someone understands me lol ImageUploadedByStudent Room1465077016.212644.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 521
Original post by Saywhatyoumean
I can't tell if I'm confusing myself here but how do we know which peak the protons are from in proton NMR? (The ones I circled) I don't even know how to ask this question properly but hoping someone understands me lol ImageUploadedByStudent Room1465077016.212644.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

You only circled one proton...
Original post by alow
You only circled one proton...

Yeah but I mean which peak would that proton be for the chemical shift values? The H-C-O or the H-C=O?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 523
Yeah but I mean which peak would that proton be for the chemical shift values? The H-C-O or the H-C=O?

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do you mean?
Original post by alow
What do you mean?

I wish I knew lol hang on let me find the question ImageUploadedByStudent Room1465078992.152548.jpg
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1465079079.845987.jpg

So when I'm drawing the spectrum, why is the CH2 singlet peak between 3.3-4.3ppm instead of ~2-3ppm?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 525
I wish I knew lol hang on let me find the question ImageUploadedByStudent Room1465078992.152548.jpg
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1465079079.845987.jpg

So when I'm drawing the spectrum, why is the CH2 singlet peak between 3.3-4.3ppm instead of ~2-3ppm?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The CH2 is deshielded by virtue of its proximity to two electron withdrawing groups.
Original post by alow
The CH2 is deshielded by virtue of its proximity to two electron withdrawing groups.

surely it's because the carbon atom attached to the 2Hs is also attached to an oxygen.Therefore the corresponding chemical shift would be 3.3-4.3,which represents the HC-O proton signal.
Reply 527
Original post by suibster
surely it's because the carbon atom attached to the 2Hs is also attached to an oxygen.Therefore the corresponding chemical shift would be 3.3-4.3,which represents the HC-O proton signal.

The chemical shift of an environment isn't only determined by one of the groups it is attached to...
Reply 528
Original post by suibster
No it's determined by the functional group the c is attached to.

I don't think you understood what I said.
Reply 529
I got 7.8g, think I did it wrong though..
Original post by AqsaMx
I got 7.8g, think I did it wrong though..

I got 7.79 but I used a really old calculater so I couldn't store the values.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, can somebody clarify how you make a diazonium ion (with a balanced equation) please?
In the textbook, pg. 39, it says you need 2HCl but I think this is incorrect?
Original post by chuckster111
Hi, can somebody clarify how you make a diazonium ion (with a balanced equation) please?

Hey you need 1 HCl to make HNO2 and another to make the ion
IMG_20160605_143419869.jpg

Yes, that equation is wrong, it's only 1 HCl. If you wanted to write a full equation, its:

phenylamine + NaNO2 + 2HCl ----> diazonium ion + NaCl + 2H2O
Original post by rory58824
Yes, that equation is wrong, it's only 1 HCl. If you wanted to write a full equation, its:

phenylamine + NaNO2 + 2HCl ----> diazonium ion + NaCl + 2H2O

Ok, so if you want the overall equation, it's the above? (Wouldn't it be the diazonium salt rather than ion btw?).

And if you do it in two steps, it would be:
1. NaNO2 + HCl ----> NaCl + HNO2
2. phenylamine + HNO2 + HCl ---> diazonium salt + 2H2O

?
Ok, so if you want the overall equation, it's the above? (Wouldn't it be the diazonium salt rather than ion btw?).

?

Isn't my attachment loading? :colondollar:

?

I've noticed the textbook changes between ion and salt (maybe someone who knows more could clarify this lol). Probably best to use salt, my bad.

And yep, that looks fine.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Serine Soul
Isn't my attachment loading? :colondollar:

Hi, sorry I'm on my phone I didn't realise there was an attachment! :colondollar:
Thanks for that :smile:
I've noticed the textbook changes between ion and salt (maybe someone who knows more could clarify this lol)

It is a salt if another negative ion is with it, like Chlorine. It then becomes Diazonium chloride which is a salt

If it is just the first part by itself, like below, then it is a diazonium ion
I've noticed the textbook changes between ion and salt (maybe someone who knows more could clarify this lol)

I haven't looked at the textbook for this topic (too simplified) but remember that the diazonium salt is essentially the diazonium ion with a Cl-

In synthetic routes etc on a question paper, it often says to ignore the presence of the Cl- ion next to the diazonium ion.

When writing the full reaction in itself though, I'd go for the HNO2 + HCl route and draw the salt as the product rather than just the ion
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending