The Student Room Group

I learned a rare lesson - no matter who you are, read this.

As I said, I learned a rare lesson in life. It's staring people in the face but nobody talks about it.

You need to make yourself as healthy as possible and (here goes) practice how to live as long as possible.

It's not as obvious as it sounds - if you really, really knew how important this was you'd do it instantly.

So many people (that were just like you or me one day) get to their 80s and then look back in pain when they realised they hardly did anything! And then they die.

Do you know what it's like being an old person that's soon to die? Do you know how horrible that feels?

As I said, you need to make yourself as healthy as possible and practice how to live as long as possible. There's a lot to say about how you go about doing this. I would say, as soon as possible, start 'trying' to stay as young as possible and live as long as possible. If you keep it in mind as you keep 'trying' to do this, you'll begin to see how you can actually do it.

Imagine, wouldn't you want to be 55 and look like you're 25? You'd be very happy when you got their and realised you'd done it right the entire time.

I'm not talking about medicine or anything like that, I'm talking about having the healthiest/'most long' lifestyle you can have.

Most people don't seem to realise how much they're going to suffer as they get older.

Just do it right, and you'll be very, very happy.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by King Scorchy
As I said, I learned a rare lesson in life. It's staring people in the face but nobody talks about it.

You need to make yourself as healthy as possible and (here goes) practice how to live as long as possible.

It's not as obvious as it sounds - if you really, really knew how important this was you'd do it instantly.

So many people (that were just like you or me one day) get to their 80s and then look back in pain when they realised they hardly did anything! And then they die.

Do you know what it's like being an old person that's soon to die? Do you know how horrible that feels?

As I said, you need to make yourself as healthy as possible and

Most people don't seem to realise how much they're going to suffer as they get older.

If I got to my 80s I'd probably look back and think I've had a long and fruitful life. Living still your 80+ is a good age.
Reply 2
I see no lesson here. Everyone already knows they should look after themselves.
What if when I am 55 I want to look 95?
Original post by The Roast
If I got to my 80s I'd probably look back and think I've had a long and fruitful life. Living still your 80+ is a good age.

Try telling that to someone in their 80s that's about to die! It would only be right of us as humans to make that person live, say until their 120s, even 160s or more - so they get more out of life!

I would say that a lot of 80 year olds feel like their life was much too short. Think about 1 year - it's only 80 times that!

Original post by Tootles
I see no lesson here. Everyone already knows they should look after themselves.

If they really did, they would be very healthy - if they could see just how important it is.
I don't want to live any longer thanks, life is enough torture. :colone:
quality, not quantity
Original post by hezzlington
quality, not quantity

You don't trade of quality for quantity in this respect.

You can have a life of the same quality, but have it for much longer!
Try telling that to someone in their 80s that's about to die! It would only be right of us as humans to make that person live, say until their 120s, even 160s or more - so they get more out of life!

I would say that a lot of 80 year olds feel like their life was much too short. Think about 1 year - it's only 80 times that!

Anywhere between 80-90 is a good age to live to. That's a minimum of 29,200 days on this planet - birth, childhood, teenagehood, adulthood, career, love, parenthood, retirement.

I personally don't think it's about how long you live, it's about what you fulfil in life (of course living a long life is good too).

I think someone living till 120-130 is more down to genetics than health - of course health is a factor.
But I'm feeling so lazy :redface:
Prolonging your life is a mistake for most people because of the amount of illnesses and diseases they get over the years, "trying to be healthy" wont solve everything.
Alright let's start acting on it!

I think a lot of eighty-year-olds would be possibly offended at you presuming to speak for them. Many of the older people I know are happy with the life they've lived, and the ones who have died have - for the most part - died happy. Yes, there are those who will want to do more, but most of them that I've known just want to carry on enjoying what they have.

If they really did, they would be very healthy - if they could see just how important it is.
Knowing and doing are two different things. Not everyone wants to live that long. Not everyone cares. And not everybody should; it's down to the person.

Say it was more important to me to do certain things than to live a century and a half. Say I want to eat all of the pizza and ride around on motorbikes. I enjoy the pizza and the thrill of biking. It's not for you to tell me I shouldn't, because if I'd rather die doing what I love than live so much longer, that's my business - and **** you for trying to correct me.

Life is for living, not staving off death.
Meh
Original post by homeland.lsw
What if when I am 55 I want to look 95?

:rofl:
Original post by Rhythmical
I don't want to live any longer thanks, life is enough torture. :colone:

Damn straightttttttt

Mate that's something once cannot control I'm afraid

As I said, you need to make yourself as healthy as possible and

It doesnt matter to the society whether u live long or die tomorrow what matters is your contribution to society living life just for yourself is very selfish just my opinion though
In my opinion:

I would rather die at 45, having an amazing life, doing dangerous things, living spontaneously and without health in mind.
Than live till 85, regretting things that I never did because I was health-conscious.
Original post by The Roast
Anywhere between 80-90 is a good age to live to. That's a minimum of 29,200 days on this planet - birth, childhood, teenagehood, adulthood, career, love, parenthood, retirement.

I personally don't think it's about how long you live, it's about what you fulfil in life (of course living a long life is good too).

I think someone living till 120-130 is more down to genetics than health - of course health is a factor.

Yeah, I see what you're saying about 80-90 - it is good by modern standards, but we can make it a lot better - why not give someone 10-20 extra years of all of those things you're talking about? They could enjoy them for a lot longer!

I see what you mean about genetics, I think it's a combination of both - the woman who lived the longest in the world apparently lived much longer than the rest of her family andif you read about her you can see that she 'tried' to live longer (for reasons that would be too long to write here!), which shows that 'trying' does help, in my opinion big time.

And you're right about what you fulfil in life, it's so true - and I feel this way too - also, someone could fulfill so much more in their 60 year life than someone in their 90 year life. I would just like more time, then I can fulfil even more. Maybe even double as much!

Original post by Tootles
I think a lot of eighty-year-olds would be possibly offended at you presuming to speak for them. Many of the older people I know are happy with the life they've lived, and the ones who have died have - for the most part - died happy. Yes, there are those who will want to do more, but most of them that I've known just want to carry on enjoying what they have.

Knowing and doing are two different things. Not everyone wants to live that long. Not everyone cares. And not everybody should; it's down to the person.

Say it was more important to me to do certain things than to live a century and a half. Say I want to eat all of the pizza and ride around on motorbikes. I enjoy the pizza and the thrill of biking. It's not for you to tell me I shouldn't, because if I'd rather die doing what I love than live so much longer, that's my business - and **** you for trying to correct me.

Life is for living, not staving off death.

I disagree that a lot of 80 year olds would be offended - it's simply an observation that I'm vocalising! Also, if they want to carry on enjoying what hey have, why not give them more years (even decades more)? Then they can enjoy it a lot more!

You say that not everyone wants to live that long - I would say that, as you grow older, you'll realise they do. I've made this topic because I've felt it first hand and it's really bad - I used to feel something like you do - then I learned this, and it's heartbreaking.

I'm not telling you you shouldn't ride around on motorbikes and eat pizza, I'm just telling you that from experience you'll enjoy yourself much more if you live longer and healthier - 120 years of enjoyment VS 80? The maths are simple! And even then, what about 80 years of bliss VS 80 years of contentedness? We can get these things if we try.

Quick Reply

Latest