The Student Room Group

Audi A4 running costs

My dad has offered me his 08 plate B7 Audi A4 as he is concerned my current car isn't really suited for long motorway driving. It's a 1.9tdi and has done 120k. He's not a great driver thus the bodywork is tatty but it's been regularly serviced by a good garage. Anyone had any experience of running an Audi or similar marque of car? Whilst it would be nice to have a better car I don't want to be shelling out a fortune to run the thing!
<------ Audi biased person

Original post by Zachary T-H
My dad has offered me his 08 plate B7 Audi A4 as he is concerned my current car isn't really suited for long motorway driving. It's a 1.9tdi and has done 120k. He's not a great driver thus the bodywork is tatty but it's been regularly serviced by a good garage. Anyone had any experience of running an Audi or similar marque of car? Whilst it would be nice to have a better car I don't want to be shelling out a fortune to run the thing!

You need to include what the current car you are driving is, and what it's running costs are. For all we know you could be driving a Lamborghini Aventador. Personally I'd say take the A4, it's a lovely car and you'll enjoy it much more than whatever heap you're driving at the moment. Maybe short term for a year or two, the current car you are driving would be more economic, but the Audi would be a better commitment as it has been better maintained and in the future you won't be paying for the reparations and issues associated with your current car. That's just what I'm assuming. Get back to me on your current car and it's state and I can help more :smile:))))))
Original post by GaryIsASloth
<------ Audi biased person

You need to include what the current car you are driving is, and what it's running costs are. For all we know you could be driving a Lamborghini Aventador. Personally I'd say take the A4, it's a lovely car and you'll enjoy it much more than whatever heap you're driving at the moment. Maybe short term for a year or two, the current car you are driving would be more economic, but the Audi would be a better commitment as it has been better maintained and in the future you won't be paying for the reparations and issues associated with your current car. That's just what I'm assuming. Get back to me on your current car and it's state and I can help more :smile:))))))

My current car is an 05 ford KA with 35k on the clock, it had been garaged all its life and fully maintained with no corners cut (it was my grandmothers from new until she gave up driving) . I'm just concerned with the longevity of the Audi, I have no idea how many more miles i would be able to get out of it. Currently the KA has cost me nothing to run bar non essential work (Bluetooth and brighter headlights) and some rust proofing. I'm fearful of the Audi servicing costs and that issues may arrise due to its high mileage!
My current car is an 05 ford KA with 35k on the clock, it had been garaged all its life and fully maintained with no corners cut (it was my grandmothers from new until she gave up driving) . I'm just concerned with the longevity of the Audi, I have no idea how many more miles i would be able to get out of it. Currently the KA has cost me nothing to run bar non essential work (Bluetooth and brighter headlights) and some rust proofing. I'm fearful of the Audi servicing costs and that issues may arrise due to its high mileage!

The Audi is still going to be in much better, more reliable condition than a 11 year old Ford KA. 10 times out of 10 take the Audi. Although it's been beat up, the machinery and engine will still be in a much better condition than the KA. There's a reason why you can buy a KA for £200, and you won't find the Audi under £2-3k.

At the end of the day, you're getting a more reliable, respected and generally-better car with the Audi.

I feel like I'm not getting it across very well, if I didn't just say and I'll try again :wink:
Get the Audi.

that engine should give 400-500 mile on a full tank and well my dad has a slightly older mercedes e-class (2005) with a similar engine (2l tdci compared to 1.9 in the audi)
and he manages to run that on 300 a month and i want to buy it off him as it cost me less to run that than a fiat 500 at only £5k per year insurance compared to £7k in the fiat 500

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending