The Student Room Group

A2 Edexcel Geography 2016 Contested Planet/Geographical Research

Scroll to see replies

I am actually legitimately concerned about A2 Geography now...

Original post by AshEntropy
I am actually legitimately concerned about A2 Geography now...

me too, why are you worried 'now'?
Hey guys, for the Superpowers section, the Views on the last page in the pre-release can be used to ask us a question, so I was wondering what exactly can they ask about the views, what type of question can come up?
Reply 343
Original post by OrdinaryStudent
Does anyone have predictions of what may come up for water/energy?

I'm not sure. I am so annoyed water conflicts came up last year so that probably won't come up this year. Do you think they could ask us about water future? I don't think its ever come up
Original post by AlohaCharlotte
Was referring to energy with that... sorry for not making it clear. I swear for development it will be something to do with MDGs

What theories are their for Energy to learn?
Original post by Vickigrimshaw98
have you got an example of a good plan? Really unsure on how much detail there should be in it, thanks.

This is a plan I did for my mock
Question: Assess the reasons why distinctive landscapes are formed in areas of tectonic activity
Plan:
Introduction:
- Define define two words, Tectonic Activity and landscapes and give brief definition for additional key words such as lithosphere etc.
- Focus 2 diagrams
- Framework List Case studies and give brief description
Methodology: - Table of 5 main source types
Analysis:
- Constructive MAR/EAR 3 diagrams
- Hotspots Hawaii/Yellowstone 2 diagrams
- Intrusive Isle of Arran/ Himalayas 2 diagrams
- Sub-conclusion through-out
- Discuss role of tectonic activity in area and link to cause for distinctive landscape
Conclusion:
- Refer back to focus and use of case studies to back up evaluation / definitions
- Answer question
(edited 7 years ago)
Made notes on energy/water/dev gap over Easter and done barely any revision since (focusing on my other subjects). I think I'm pretty much banking on energy/water now!

I feels like either future responses or future energy needs might come up for energy, and for water i think maybe something to do with water stress or natural processes? but like its been said water futures haven't come up either so who knows.
Reply 348
If a question on section B asks to 'study' a certain figure, do you have to use that figure only or can you include other figures too?
Original post by JPFM
If a question on section B asks to 'study' a certain figure, do you have to use that figure only or can you include other figures too?
I wasn't aware that they can ask for figure specific questions, but I would assume that it is like a regular 10 marker question with a figure, where you talk about the figure mainly however you can and should also bring in some additional knowledge and figures to back up your points
Original post by 90780
I'm not sure. I am so annoyed water conflicts came up last year so that probably won't come up this year. Do you think they could ask us about water future? I don't think its ever come up

Me too! Water conflicts has been repeated so many times that you just learn the mark scheme and you will be guaranteed minimum 12/15!! What water transfer schemes have you learnt? Ive got South-North transfer, GAP and Australia snowy mountains scheme.

Original post by thelizzister
I feels like either future responses or future energy needs might come up for energy, and for water i think maybe something to do with water stress or natural processes? but like its been said water futures haven't come up either so who knows.

'futures' is very vague. There is a range of future topics they can ask us such as conflict, sustainability, radical approaches etc. Conflict and radical approaches have already come up, sustainability has also been integrated with radical approaches so im not sure.
Original post by JPFM

Original post by 99joey
I wasn't aware that they can ask for figure specific questions, but I would assume that it is like a regular 10 marker question with a figure, where you talk about the figure mainly however you can and should also bring in some additional knowledge and figures to back up your points

Im not sure, I think you can maybe use other figures. Instead of saying just 'Using figure 1' like they do in section a they say 'study figure 1'.
Original post by 99joey

Normally they can ask a question on the figure but it'll be 12 marks, I did two figure questions in the mock I did recently
Original post by TheCube97
Normally they can ask a question on the figure but it'll be 12 marks, I did two figure questions in the mock I did recently
Were they on kinda open things though like Climate Change via Figure 14 or superpower status via Figure 15 rather then just a regular source, as those link into answers that you would bring up anyway when answering questions on those topics, for example when discussing China and India achieving superpower status, you would bring up Figure 15 anyway as a reference etc..
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 354

For energy, I am predicting something about futures, meeting future energy needs etc. So that is what I am currently revising as I have completely forgotten about it. I don't know about water, I highly doubt anything about trans-boundary sources again though.
Original post by 99joey
Were they on kinda open things though like Climate Change via Figure 14 or superpower status via Figure 15 rather then just a regular source, as those link into answers that you would bring up anyway when answering questions on those topics, for example when discussing China and India achieving superpower status, you would bring up Figure 15 anyway as a reference etc..

Yes they were but you need to be able to somehow link that figure in, so it was like any other figure question I've seen
Original post by 99joey
This is a plan I did for my mock
Question: Assess the reasons why distinctive landscapes are formed in areas of tectonic activity
Plan:
Introduction:
- Define define two words, Tectonic Activity and landscapes and give brief definition for additional key words such as lithosphere etc.
- Focus 2 diagrams
- Framework List Case studies and give brief description
Methodology: - Table of 5 main source types
Analysis:
- Constructive MAR/EAR 3 diagrams
- Hotspots Hawaii/Yellowstone 2 diagrams
- Intrusive Isle of Arran/ Himalayas 2 diagrams
- Sub-conclusion through-out
- Discuss role of tectonic activity in area and link to cause for distinctive landscape
Conclusion:
- Refer back to focus and use of case studies to back up evaluation / definitions
- Answer question

Okay thank you that helps! I have done plans with the same amount of detail so thats reassuring!
I think that we should all try and play "Guess the Questions" for Section B, I'm gonna make a list of things I think it could be and practice them as mock exams :smile:
Original post by AshEntropy
I think that we should all try and play "Guess the Questions" for Section B, I'm gonna make a list of things I think it could be and practice them as mock exams :smile:
There pretty standard surely, whether China/India have reached superpower status and the economic, social and environmental impacts of their growth
I sure hope futures doesn't come up because I don't understand how to integrate case studies into it and everything I have on futures is pretty much research and wasn't taught.
Anyone got any suggestions on biodiversity? I was thinking futures although I don't know how that would work as a question and I doubt they would make all the energy/water and biodiversity on futures. I still haven't looked at past papers though so this is just a completely random guess.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending