The Student Room Group

I'm 21 and failed my GCSEs - can I resit them?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rhythmical
Yeah I know, I considered one myself but I decided on A Levels and which one did you do?

Access to humanities (Sociology which i failed, and Philosophy), don't ask me how i ended up getting a two one in sociology degree right now?!?
Original post by john2054
Access to humanities (Sociology which i failed, and Philosophy), don't ask me how i ended up getting a two one in sociology degree right now?!?

I'm tempted to ask, how did you get to do a Sociology degree then, I thought an Access to HE course meant you have to pass all modules to get onto a degree course?
I'm tempted to ask, how did you get to do a Sociology degree then, I thought an Access to HE course meant you have to pass all modules to get onto a degree course?

Yes but I was able to get some prior accredited learning i did back in 1999 and 2000, recognized which gave me sufficient units in order to be able to continue.
Original post by john2054
Yes but I was able to get some prior accredited learning i did back in 1999 and 2000, recognized which gave me sufficient units in order to be able to continue.

Ah right okay, did you already do your Masters, I just thought I read you wanted to do a PhD.
Original post by TheMightyAcorn
I lacked motivation at school and I'm pretty ashamed to say, I never studied. I failed to see the point and because of my anxiety couldn't focus properly, consequently things have changed.

I'm pretty ignorant because of it and now realise I was wrong to think studying was a pointless exercise. So many Ds, Es, Fs, Us'. Yikes.

So I'm reaching out to you beautiful people, is there any chance I can go about getting back into education and resitting my GCSEs?

If it helps, I live in Norwich. Any advise?

Thank you very much.

James

Yes, you can. Enrol at a local college on do GCSE's online. My advice would be to really concentrate and learn as much as you can. Seek help from anyone who can help. Also, practice, practice as many past exam papers as you can. Do not enter the exam unless you are 100% sure you will pass. Don't aim for a grade C, aim for grade A*. Desire, Belief, Preparation, Success!!
(edited 7 years ago)
Ah right okay, did you already do your Masters, I just thought I read you wanted to do a PhD.

no i did the first year of a two year advanced vocational certificate in education (health and social care) which i passed in 2001 (grade b), and this was sufficient to accredit me for a couple of health units being taught on the access programme. I was lucky they accepted it though!
Yes, go for it! What subjects are you thinking of doing?
Yes, you're quite right. That's embarrassing, after years of relying merely on spell check it makes you a bit rusty. Although apart from that blimp, English isn't my concern.

Good question, I'm on the Autistic spectrum and dropped out of college due to anxiety. Seeing as how I'm not getting any younger, something sometime has to change or I'll be stuck in a my own anxiety-ridden ways forever.

RESPECT all the best mate :smile:

Doing A levels and F anxiety
Original post by Rykiel
You're dumb! I'm sorry but honestly, gcses are the easiest. if you fail these, you'll probably commit suicide once you reach alevels. you need to forget the world and just concentrate. i easily got 8 A*s

this ***** be slipping
Original post by Rykiel
You're dumb! I'm sorry but honestly, gcses are the easiest. if you fail these, you'll probably commit suicide once you reach alevels. you need to forget the world and just concentrate. i easily got 8 A*s

if ur not going to be helpful then shove off
I lacked motivation at school and I'm pretty ashamed to say, I never studied. I failed to see the point and because of my anxiety couldn't focus properly, consequently things have changed.

I'm pretty ignorant because of it and now realise I was wrong to think studying was a pointless exercise. So many Ds, Es, Fs, Us'. Yikes.

So I'm reaching out to you beautiful people, is there any chance I can go about getting back into education and resitting my GCSEs?

Thank you very much.

James

Bro some advice! START UP A BUSINESS.
Don't waste your time doing GCSE's unless you want to go to college.

You should've tried harder then, now just forget the past, pretend GCSE's don't exist and just create a business or start a youtube channel.
Original post by Rykiel

Did you read the part where I said I had anxiety? I didn't ask for an assessment of my intelligence, I acknowledged that already. But it's uplifting to know that no qualification in the world teaches one courtesy.
Original post by James_pa
RESPECT all the best mate :smile:

Doing A levels and F anxiety

Cheers! Appreciate the support. :smile:

Let this be a lesson to everyone out there, work hard and you'll reap the benefits. Don't give up. As proven by my successful peers, I learnt the hard way.
Original post by lostintrnslation
Yes, go for it! What subjects are you thinking of doing?

Maybe Film studies and IT, although I should probably aim to do something I'm not so familiar with otherwise I'm just repeating myself. Been out of the game for too long. :wink:

Thank you very much.

James

Yes you can defo resit! Just wanted you to know that I think that it is very inspirational that you are planning to retake them and I wish you the best of luck!
Reply 35
Original post by Divinchi
Bro some advice! START UP A BUSINESS.
Don't waste your time doing GCSE's unless you want to go to college.

You should've tried harder then, now just forget the past, pretend GCSE's don't exist and just create a business or start a youtube channel.

Possibly the worst advice I've seen on here yet.

I think OP's best bet is to retake their GCSE's privately whilst working a job in the meantime, and do the same for their A-Levels. He is far too mature to be spending full hours on GCSE's and A-levels, and should work his studies around his life rather than his life around his studies.
(edited 7 years ago)
You can redo the whole education system, you can even apply to universities as a mature student (if that's what you want to do) but it'll cost you a lot for private education/exam entries.

Thank you very much.

James

I'm sure you will do well. Who knows? You'll be the next genius from Norwich! Look at this guy, he's my hero!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ali_Moeen_Nawazish

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/4398668/Teenager-gains-22-A-levels-in-12-months.html

[video="youtube;EbH_dWWIE1Q"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbH_dWWIE1Q[/video]

Quick Reply

Latest