The Student Room Group

WJEC AS ICT Exam 6th June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Original post by OwenSallows
Okay, so firstly you would start of by thinking about which 3 you know the most about and which ones don't clash easily.
CAL
Distance learning
Online learning
For each of these you would describe what they are, and then try to name 1 advantage and 1 disadvantage for each, and if you can remember more, even better. Also making sure that each of the advantages/disadvantages are different.
Make sure you expand on each +/- though, just to make sure that you get the marks.
This is directly from that mark scheme
"For full marks, candidates need to discuss three of the following with appropriate advantages and disadvantages (at least two of each for full marks). No mark for naming the use. No marks for a list.Maximum 5 marks for advantages / disadvantages (i.e. 2 + 3 or 3+ 2) and 3 marks for methods"
Hope this helps

Thank you so much! I was so confused but it makes a lot of sense now. Wouldn't mind if this comes up now
Original post by AF28
Thank you so much! I was so confused but it makes a lot of sense now. Wouldn't mind if this comes up now

Welcome! I have a gut feeling that this and administration could come up as the 10/8, but we will never be able to guess it as they'll probably go back to their beloved expert systems :P
Original post by Rawr97
Let's see the new possibilities for 2016:

Topic 8 Networks:
"Internet and its uses, including: benefits and development, communication, sharing data and ideas, accessing information"
"FTP (definition and purpose), newsgroups,chatrooms"
"Extranet" ? Actually not sure about newtworks if those been or not in AS, kinda getting confused with A2 at the moment lol

Topic 9 HCI:
"Graphical devices such as graphics pads"

Topic 10 Social Issues:
"Acceptable use of ICT equipment and services"

Topic 12 Simulation Modelling:
"Issues relating to hardware used for simulation modelling, including parallel and distribute processing"

Topic 6.3 ICT in Health:
"New future and development and limitation"
"Software languages (PROLOG, ASPRIN)"
"neural networks and how parallel processors work"
"Medical uses of expert system e.g. MYCIN, NEOMYCIN etc"
"DISTRIBUTED medical database"

These are the amplification of the Topics in the spec. which (I assume) has not been in the past exams. Could get a direct question on these, or maybe not at all.

How would we answer these???
Original post by alevellife123
How would we answer these???

Although these all have a possibility of coming up, the chances are very slim as there isn't a lot that they can ask about, and as this exam is being scrapped I highly doubt they would be bothered to make completely new questions. However, the ones most likely in that list is Topic 12, extranet and internet and it's uses. But as I said there is still a chance any of those could come up.
Original post by OwenSallows
Although these all have a possibility of coming up, the chances are very slim as there isn't a lot that they can ask about, and as this exam is being scrapped I highly doubt they would be bothered to make completely new questions. However, the ones most likely in that list is Topic 12, extranet and internet and it's uses. But as I said there is still a chance any of those could come up.

thanks! That makes me a little less stressed!
Is everyone ready for the exam?
Is everyone ready for the exam?

Just finished my last past paper.

Done all of them three or more times in total now, getting 76-80 unaided with a very strict marker as a teacher. I'm as ready as I'll ever be.

Good luck all.
Reply 207
guys choose two papers for me ,to revise i'll post the marks
Original post by AA923
guys choose two papers for me ,to revise i'll post the marks

Winter 2009 and Summer 2014
Original post by PedanticStudent
Just finished my last past paper.

Done all of them three or more times in total now, getting 76-80 unaided with a very strict marker as a teacher. I'm as ready as I'll ever be.

Good luck all.

You sound well prepared! That is very impressive to get such high marks, what would you say for last minute revision tips? Also what do you think question 9 will be as last year it was spreadsheets.

Good luck to everyone! We will smash it!
How do people know this exam is being scrapped?

And when is it being scrapped?
Reply 211
Original post by collegestudentc
How do people know this exam is being scrapped?

And when is it being scrapped?

Government education officer deemed it not challenging enough & said its similar to computer science. I found out from my teacher.

And it'll be scrapped in like 2 years.
Reply 212
65/80 - winter 2009
Original post by AA923
65/80 - winter 2009

Congrats!
Can someone please give a brief summary for the Acts (DPA, Copyright etc)?

Thank you
Reply 215
summer 2014 75/80
Original post by AA923
summer 2014 75/80

Thats amazing, congrats!!!
Reply 217
Thats amazing, congrats!!!

thank youu but I'm still very nervous as the 2009 markschemes are hard for me to remember
Original post by AA923
thank youu but I'm still very nervous as the 2009 markschemes are hard for me to remember

I wouldnt worry about it too much as most of the answers have changed for the more recent papers. If you do want to remember some focus on the questions that only come up in that paper not the most common ones.
Shall everyone ask random questions we need to answer for last minute revision?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending