The Student Room Group

A2 AQA Geography GEOG 3 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 820
Original post by Luis Suarez
Do you think they can ask a 40 marker on just *one* of the three development issues (i.e. trade vs aid, econ vs env) of D&G?

yes they often do
Original post by DexterMabel
Does anyone think there will be anything on TNCs on the G+D 25 marker? swear it hasn't been up in a while??

TNC's were the 8 and 10 mark question in jun 13 but they had already come up twice before that , whereas for example groupings of nations has only come up once and it was ages ago so i feel like TNCs are unlikely
Original post by L2311
How do you get an A*, is it 90% total UMS at A2?

80% UMS average across AS and A2
and 90% UMS marks average at A2 - so not necessarily A*'s in both papers
Original post by tcameron
literally praying it wont be on contrasting hazards :frown:

same? literally so confused by it
Reply 824
So are the predictions for the Development and Globalisation 40 marker - Sustainability or LDC's ? Or is there anything else? Thanks
Original post by Atomicmat
same? literally so confused by it

I wouldn't even know where to start
Reply 826
Original post by Will123321
how would you answer a question on the development continuum such as 'Outline and illustrate the concept of ‘the development continuum’. (8 marks)

The development continuum suggests that development is a process rather than a split between MEDCs and LEDCs as the Brandt Line suggests. It recognises RICs and NICs who have progressed from LEDC status and have a changed role in the economy.
For example China, has lifted large amount of population out of poverty and has a rising middle class, grew through TNCs etc.
More reflective of real life than older categories such as first/second/third worlds which suggests that all developed countries are the same, which they are not, instead it is a progression from LDC, LEDC, RIC (Chile, Argentina, Poland), NIC (Brazil, Russia, China, India), MEDC (UK/USA). Maybe briefly describe each of those? They are not so easily divided into MEDC/LEDC and the development continuum recognises this.
Considers factors such as education and democracy as well as wealth (?), which are all important to development, rather than purely basing it off wealth.
Anyone have a good idea for what's to come up in the short questions for ecosystems and world cities , possibly what's the 40marker on tectonics?

I was thinking tropical biome question and maybe deciduous woodland
Then contemporary urbanisation and maybe regeneration scheme
Then possibly a mostly seismic or theory based 40marker?

Someone else have ideas?
Reply 828
Original post by manju04
So are the predictions for the Development and Globalisation 40 marker - Sustainability or LDC's ? Or is there anything else? Thanks

possibly tncs/nics influence.

Does anyone have an essay plan for an LDC question?
Original post by tcameron
I've learnt 3 earthquake case studies
One developed and 2 developing countries
Can I write about all 3 even if the question says only compare 2?

I guess you could? but it wouldn't gain you any extra marks by talking about 3 when it says 2
Original post by noodle01
I guess you could? but it wouldn't gain you any extra marks by talking about 3 when it says 2

but my two LIC earthquake case studies aren't as developed as my HIC earthquake so I don't even know
Reply 831
Original post by Danny.B10
Hi,

After 2 months of studying the specification and topics that have came up previously i feel that these will be the questions:

Tectonics:
(7) plate tectonic theory linked to the resource - *how does this resource prove the theory*

(8) Describe and explain the formation of 2 intrusive tectonic features

(10) impact of a seismic event

World Cities:
(7) comment on the global pattern shown

(8) Urban decline

(10) Planning and management issues

Conflict:
(40) Multiculturalism OR Separatism

Are intrusive tectonic features batholiths and dykes ect
Reply 832
So am I right by saying world city essay is either sustainability or planning and managment and development and globalisation short are the continuum, LEDC and sustainability myth or reality?
Reply 833
Original post by SJJ97
Are intrusive tectonic features batholiths and dykes ect

yes
Reply 834
Does anyone think a poverty essay will come up for the conflict topic?? It hasn't come up since Jan 2011
Reply 835
Original post by L1lly
Does anyone think a poverty essay will come up for the conflict topic?? It hasn't come up since Jan 2011

it came up on the structured qs last year so im thinking no, but its always possible
any world cities essay predictions??

(sorry if someone has already said somewhere and i haven't seen)
Some possible 40 mark tectonic essays that I have found from books and handouts:

The state of economic development in a country is the only factor in determining volcanic and seismic disasters. To what extent do you agree with this view?

The impact of a Tsunami may be felt on a far greater scale than an earthquake. To what extent do you agree with this view?

Volcanic and tectonic activity is solely confined to plate margins. Discuss this statement.

Outline and discuss how plate tectonic theory has evolved over time.

Extrusive vulcanicity along a destructive plate boundary is more hazardous than along a constructive plate boundary. Discuss
Reply 838
Original post by lulus1
possibly tncs/nics influence.

Does anyone have an essay plan for an LDC question?

Thank you
Original post by Piercedoc21
Anyone have a good idea for what's to come up in the short questions for ecosystems and world cities , possibly what's the 40marker on tectonics?

I was thinking tropical biome question and maybe deciduous woodland
Then contemporary urbanisation and maybe regeneration scheme
Then possibly a mostly seismic or theory based 40marker?

Someone else have ideas?

for world cities - I personally think

7 marker - image/graph to do with urbanisation
8 - role of world cities or somebody said urban decline
10 marker - private/public partnership or planning and management issues

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending