The Student Room Group

History Paper 1 crime and punishment

I'm doing the crime and punishment exam tomorrow :frown: Does anyone know what protests we have to learn for paper 1? I know that we also have a separate protest and reaction paper, but i think we need to know some protests for this paper too. The ones I know we need to learn for tomorrow are:
- Suffragettes
- Rebecca Riots
- Peterloo.
Does anyone know any more we need to know???? Thank you
I'm doing Edexcel GCSE History B
Our topics are:
-Medieval, Romans, Normans, Anglo-Saxon, Middle Ages, 19th Century & Present Day
- Involving Punishments, trials, crimes & witchcraft, changes in policing.
- Removal of Capital Punishment (Ruth Ellis, Derek Bentley etc)
- Gunpowder plot
- Smuggling & Poaching
- Prison & police reforms
- Conscientious objection + racism + traffic crimes (new crimes)
[Main point is continuity of crimes and punishments across the ages]

The protests that we have seen in this course are:
- Tolpuddle Martyrs
- Peterloo Massacre

That's all I can think of for now, hope this helps.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by FryOfTheMann
I'm doing Edexcel GCSE History B
Our topics are:
-Medieval, Romans, Normans, Anglo-Saxon, Middle Ages, 19th Century & Present Day
- Involving Punishments, trials, crimes & witchcraft, changes in policing.
- Removal of Capital Punishment (Ruth Ellis, Derek Bentley etc)
- Gunpowder plot
- Smuggling & Poaching
- Prison & police reforms
[Main point is continuity of crimes and punishments across the ages]

The protests that we have seen in this course are:
- Tolpuddle Martyrs
- Peterloo Massacre

That's all I can think of for now, hope this helps.

Thanks so much!! Really helpful :smile: I'm not sure what history course I do but we definitely do similar things. I don't do the "Ruth Ellis" thing though. It's good that we get a choice between 3 clusters of questions.

How do you feel about this exam?
Original post by Ella_08
Thanks so much!! Really helpful :smile: I'm not sure what history course I do but we definitely do similar things. I don't do the "Ruth Ellis" thing though. It's good that we get a choice between 3 clusters of questions.

How do you feel about this exam?

You should have gotten a sheet with a list of the exams that you are entered for and on there it will tell you which board you are doing for each exam. Our exam paper is:
1- Source Question
[from our 2015 past paper] What do Sources A and B show about the changes in the way police investigate crime?

2- Choice question
[From our mock, again] The boxes below show two people who were involved in prison reform. Choose *one* and describe the key features of their ideas:
John Howard or Elizabeth Fry

3- Study source C: An illustration from a pamphlet printed in 1589 about three women who were hanged as witches. It also shows one of them, Joan Prentis, with her familiars.
How useful is source C to a historian who is investigating ideas about the crime of witchcraft during the 16th and 17th centuries? Use source C and own knowledge.

4-
a) Why did the treatment of vagabonds change from c1350 to the end of the Tudor period?
You may use the following in your answer: The closure of monasteries, Groups of "Sturdy beggars"

b) Why were there changes in the use of the death penalty during the 19th and 20th centuries? You may use the following in your answer: The end of the Bloody Code, Derek Bentley.

5-
a) How different was the enforcement of law and order in Roman Britain and in Anglo-Saxon England? You may use the following in your answer: The role of the government, The role of the local community.

b) "increased use of technology is the main reason why crimes have changed since 1900"
You may use the following in your answer: The crime of "drink-driving", Race crimes.

------

Ruth Ellis was a woman who was abused by her boyfriend and shot him to death. She was hanged (given the death penalty) because it was premeditated murder but the jury felt she should not have been hanged. 1955, she was the last woman to be hanged in the UK.

---
History is not my strongest subject but I hope it'll go okay :smile:
You should have gotten a sheet with a list of the exams that you are entered for and on there it will tell you which board you are doing for each exam. Our exam paper is:
1- Source Question
[from our 2015 past paper] What do Sources A and B show about the changes in the way police investigate crime?

2- Choice question
[From our mock, again] The boxes below show two people who were involved in prison reform. Choose *one* and describe the key features of their ideas:
John Howard or Elizabeth Fry

3- Study source C: An illustration from a pamphlet printed in 1589 about three women who were hanged as witches. It also shows one of them, Joan Prentis, with her familiars.
How useful is source C to a historian who is investigating ideas about the crime of witchcraft during the 16th and 17th centuries? Use source C and own knowledge.

4-
a) Why did the treatment of vagabonds change from c1350 to the end of the Tudor period?
You may use the following in your answer: The closure of monasteries, Groups of "Sturdy beggars"

b) Why were there changes in the use of the death penalty during the 19th and 20th centuries? You may use the following in your answer: The end of the Bloody Code, Derek Bentley.

5-
a) How different was the enforcement of law and order in Roman Britain and in Anglo-Saxon England? You may use the following in your answer: The role of the government, The role of the local community.

b) "increased use of technology is the main reason why crimes have changed since 1900"
You may use the following in your answer: The crime of "drink-driving", Race crimes.

------

Ruth Ellis was a woman who was abused by her boyfriend and shot him to death. She was hanged (given the death penalty) because it was premeditated murder but the jury felt she should not have been hanged. 1955, she was the last woman to be hanged in the UK.

---
History is not my strongest subject but I hope it'll go okay :smile:

Ooooh right thanks for telling me, I think I'm history A. So we do different boards but some stuff overlap. All of those exam questions above are not part of my board but I do stuff like elizabeth Fry, witches, vagabonds etc. Cheers for all the past paper questions, I appreciate it :wink:

And I have Germany and crime and punishment tomorrow which kinda sucks. It will go great, don't worry - you seem really prepared. I just really want an A in history, then I'll be happy. All the best, we can do this! (:
Original post by Ella_08
Ooooh right thanks for telling me, I think I'm history A. So we do different boards but some stuff overlap. All of those exam questions above are not part of my board but I do stuff like elizabeth Fry, witches, vagabonds etc. Cheers for all the past paper questions, I appreciate it :wink:

And I have Germany and crime and punishment tomorrow which kinda sucks. It will go great, don't worry - you seem really prepared. I just really want an A in history, then I'll be happy. All the best, we can do this! (:

Yeah, we do EDEXCEL History B so we have Crime & Punishment tomorrow. Then Life in Germany 1919-45 on Tuesday 14th and lastly Protest Law & Order on Tuesday 21st.

I'm sure there are past exam papers for History A online :smile:
Good luck!
Yeah, we do EDEXCEL History B so we have Crime & Punishment tomorrow. Then Life in Germany 1919-45 on Tuesday 14th and lastly Protest Law & Order on Tuesday 21st.

I'm sure there are past exam papers for History A online :smile:
Good luck!

That's weird how you have 3 exams, I only have 2 exams but the one tomorrow is 2 hours... i'm guessing yours is shorter. My teacher gave us this exam question booklet so I can use that :smile: i'll be happy when tomorrow is over :yes:
Original post by Ella_08
That's weird how you have 3 exams, I only have 2 exams but the one tomorrow is 2 hours... i'm guessing yours is shorter. My teacher gave us this exam question booklet so I can use that :smile: i'll be happy when tomorrow is over :yes:

Each of our three exams are 1:15. 3:45 minutes total of exams. History: Protest Law & Order is my last exam but I'll be immensely happy when we're finally done. :smile:
Each of our three exams are 1:15. 3:45 minutes total of exams. History: Protest Law & Order is my last exam but I'll be immensely happy when we're finally done. :smile:

That makes sense now! And yup same, protest is my last exam too. It will be great :smile: good luck again :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending