The Student Room Group

Biology Unit 2 past paer help

Does anyone know how to do the AQA June 2014 Unit 2 question 5bi and 5bii question please, the mark scheme doesn't explain it very well.
Reply 1
Could you tell me what it asks for?
If Tetracycline binds to the Ribosomes (its effectively like inhibition but its not enzymes in this case), the Ribosomes are unable to carry out their function which is to synthesise the proteins... Proteins make up enzymes, even the enzymes that are involved in the cell wall formation which can lead to Osmotic lysis as the cell wall is not formed.
Second question:

TTT TCA GGT ACG GAA CCA CGA

TTT TCA GGT

The next amino acid is Trp which is ACC which we can add:

TTT TCA GGT ACC- What can you see base C has been added and we have been told in the question it is a result of mutation... This basically now shifts the reading frame of the sequence:

TTT TCA ACC GGA ACC ACG
Reply 4
Original post by haj101
Second question:

TTT TCA GGT ACG GAA CCA CGA

TTT TCA GGT

The next amino acid is Trp which is ACC which we can add:

TTT TCA GGT ACC- What can you see base C has been added and we have been told in the question it is a result of mutation... This basically now shifts the reading frame of the sequence:

TTT TCA ACC GGA ACC ACG

Thank you so much, this has helped me so much and I now understand it!!!!
Reply 5
Original post by haj101
If Tetracycline binds to the Ribosomes (its effectively like inhibition but its not enzymes in this case), the Ribosomes are unable to carry out their function which is to synthesise the proteins... Proteins make up enzymes, even the enzymes that are involved in the cell wall formation which can lead to Osmotic lysis as the cell wall is not formed.

Thank you!!!!!!!!
Original post by alicia_r
Thank you so much, this has helped me so much and I now understand it!!!!

Youre welcome.. Im glad I helped x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending