The Student Room Group

TSR Tennis Society IV

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rakas21
Murray and Theim won't, let's not kid ourselves.

lol
Sick drop shots by Djokovic against Berdych, hopefully he finally fixed it and it wasn't just luck. It's really going to be a disaster if he doesn't win this year. He should be able to trash Murray and Thiem routinely and Wawrinka has hardly been at his best.
Honestly never thought he'd do it but then i never expected him to win Wimbledon so i probably underestimate him, especially in an age of slow decline for Fed-Nadal. Well done i suppose.

As for Theim he got rolled over but he's 22 and by reaching a semi he joins Raonic, Dimitrov and Nikishori (all of which went backward in 2015 in terms of ranking) so he's worth watching since this performance will see him break the top 10.

Good to see the grass court season starting too and i'll be interested to see how Del Potro fares.
Djokovic v Murray on Sunday. Should be tasty! :ahee:
Well that's a shame, the sooner the era of Djokovic Murray finals comes to an end the better.
Really fancied Wawrinka today, suppose I can't have any complaints with the result, though Stan gave him too many easy points...such is the nature of low percentage shots.

Especially during/ after Murray's first service game it seemed Wawrinka would be able to really peg him back but it all rather unravelled.

Onto another Murray - Djokovic final then.

I also saw an really odd fact earlier, the man who beat the last Briton at a French Open final was shot and killed 6 years later at the Battle of Stalingrad... in 1943.
Muguruza wins the title! Well deserved.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Great game, Serena always seems to pick up injuries prior to Grand Slam finals nowadays - is her time almost up?

Super excited for Djokovic vs Murray. I'm predicting Djokovic in 4 sets
Another boring Djokovic Murray final. Just what the men's tennis need. Men's tennis is so boring atm with the same guy winning everything because Federer and Nadal are way past their best and because the young guns are hopeless. A 22 year old Muguruza won her first slam beating the dominant world number 1 but 22 year old Thiem can't even put up a decent fight against Djokovic in the semi final because he was too nervous. All these young guns like Thiem, Kyrgios, Coric are hopeless and will most likely go the same way as Nishikori and Dimitrov who promised so much a couple of years ago but have so far failed to deliver. Women's tennis is so much more exciting for me atm and I never thought I would say that. ATP should start thinking about building new stars because Federer and Nadal, the two superstars of the last decade will most likely be gone by the end of next year if not sooner and then you are left with no superstars. No disrespect to Murray and Djokovic but they are nowhere near Fedal's popularity. They are no superstars so after Fedal are done, ATP will suffer in terms of sales and revenue so it's best if they start creating new stars and also do something to make men's tennis a bit more unpredictable. It's not fun watching the same guy win every tournament despite playing average/decent tennis for the most part. Djokovic isn't even as good as he was in 2011.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by The_K1NG
Another boring Djokovic Murray final. Just what the men's tennis need. Men's tennis is so boring atm with the same guy winning everything because Federer and Nadal are way past their best and because the young guns are hopeless. A 22 year old Muguruza won her first slam beating the dominant world number 1 but 22 year old Thiem can't even put up a decent fight against Djokovic in the semi final because he was too nervous. All these young guns like Thiem, Kyrgios, Coric are hopeless and will most likely go the same way as Nishikori and Dimitrov who promised so much a couple of years ago but have so far failed to deliver. Women's tennis is so much more exciting for me atm and I never thought I would say that. ATP should start thinking about building new stars because Federer and Nadal, the two superstars of the last decade will most likely be gone by the end of next year if not sooner and then you are left with no superstars. No disrespect to Murray and Djokovic but they are nowhere near Fedal's popularity. They are no superstars so after Fedal are done, ATP will suffer in terms of sales and revenue so it's best if they start creating new stars and also do something to make men's tennis a bit more unpredictable. It's not fun watching the same guy win every tournament despite playing average/decent tennis for the most part. Djokovic isn't even as good as he was in 2011.

It's not for the ATP to "create" new stars, it's a natural process. The men's game has been blessed over the last decade with the Big 4 but all things come to an end eventually so just enjoy them before they retire and get behind the new blood. There's nothing wrong with liking the WTA better either, sometimes the ATP has bigger stars and sometimes it's the WTA, I just hope Muguruza can keep this going and isn't just a one hit wonder.
Original post by The_K1NG

Djokovic's rivalries with Fed and Nadal are very well known and his Grand Slam matches with them (especially finals) always attracted tennis fans in huge numbers. Maybe they're not quite as big as the Fedal rivalry but I'd never say they're "nowhere near". I say Fedal rivalry but it's more like Nadal raping Fed over and over again.
I also don't get people not liking Djokovic's game. He's made lobs his thing, he recently improved his volleys and drop shots and started using those a lot and he's always gone for angles and hitting the ball very close to the lines till he gets a winner in. What more do you want?
Maybe you preferred 2011 Novak's game because it was a bit flashier, but 2016 Novak would beat 2011 Novak. He traded flashy it for efficiency. For example he'd smack a winner every now and then in 2011 like Thiem does now, but he doesn't need to do that now and risk unforced errors when he can hit every ball with clinical precision.
Thiem couldn't put up a fight because Djokovic was too good lol. That's why he started smashing balls all over the place hoping they go in. He couldn't do anything else.
I can't take women's tennis seriously cause I know no matter how good they seem to be playing, a rank 356 male would beat them in straight sets. It's not pushing boundaries of human physique like men's. Just a side note.
This umpire is such a dumb f****** t**t
Reply 4732
COME ON ANDY fgs
Andy is a grumpy scott

Original post by tomh1
come on andy fgs
Reply 4734
Stan wouldn't have let this happen.
Murray is just pathetic. He is the same age as Djokovic so should be beating Djokovic more often especially in these big matches but no once again he fails to deliver. He should have let Stan win. At least Stan would have put up a better fight.
Called Djokovic in 4 sets!

It's a shame the best we have to offer is Murray, he really is dog shite. Every game with him is the same pattern, one set of good tennis followed by 2-3 sets of moaning and giving up. What was that nonsense about him shouting at someone wearing a blue shirt in the box? He does my absolute nut in. Really hope we can get past these underwhelming Murray vs Djokovic finals

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sacred Ground
Called Djokovic in 4 sets!

It's a shame the best we have to offer is Murray, he really is dog shite. Every game with him is the same pattern, one set of good tennis followed by 2-3 sets of moaning and giving up. What was that nonsense about him shouting at someone wearing a blue shirt in the box? He does my absolute nut in. Really hope we can get past these underwhelming Murray vs Djokovic finals

Posted from TSR Mobile

Dogshite who can make grand slam finals :rolleyes:
Original post by TheRabbit
Dogshite who can make grand slam finals :rolleyes:

If federer, nedal and Stan were on their A game, he wouldn't stand a chance. But hey, that's my opinion - he's way too angry IMO

Posted from TSR Mobile
The match won't live particularly long in the memory, I suppose one must congratulate Djokovic for joining a rather prestigious club.

Quick Reply

Latest