The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hey guys.. for gender and cultural influences would it be ok to say that...
Whiting and Edwards supports the influence of culture in gender behaviour as they found cultural differences in gender role between individualistic and collectivist societies, showing the impact of culture on gender role.
However, even though gender roles differ they found a cross- cultural similarity in ideas of masculinity and feminity and the gendered behaviour, suggesting a biological basis to gender behaviour?
Overall culture clearly has an effect on gender roles, however it could be argued that similarities in masculine and feminine ideas sugest a biological basis, as it is a universal view. Therefore, theres a combination of biological and cultural factors that affect gender role
Im not sure if my point is right.. ive read a lot about masculinity and feminity but dont really get how that relates to cultural influences on gender role.

Any feedback wud b appreciated
(edited 7 years ago)
is nueral and hormonal more likely for aggression,or genetic? im praying for a genetic question ahah
Reply 2202
Original post by adtr0706
If applications to education comes up for cognitive development, we don't need to refer to both Piaget and Vygotsky, right? We were told to prep essays for both, yet everywhere else seems to class it as one essay

Ive been told to talk about Piagets implications e.g readiness,curriculum and discovery learning as one A01 and the other A01 is Vygotskys collaborative learning,computer-assisted learning and ZPD
If applications to education comes up for cognitive development, we don't need to refer to both Piaget and Vygotsky, right? We were told to prep essays for both, yet everywhere else seems to class it as one essay

I've been taught it as one essay although I guess if you have enough information for one you could focus on that however I think you do definitely need to compare the two to some extent
Original post by Anam
Ive been told to talk about Piagets implications e.g readiness,curriculum and discovery learning as one A01 and the other A01 is Vygotskys collaborative learning,computer-assisted learning and ZPD

Could either of you possibly help me... I'm really struggling to find IDA points to use for the application to education essay?
any obvious predictions for intelligence and learning questions?
Original post by zoex101
Does anyone just use loopas essays? Are they enough to secure an A?

Yup!
I'm a loopa student
Got an A at AS
X
Reply 2207
Original post by Tinksy
I'm doing exactly the same!!

I think it will be neural/hormonal possibly genetics!
Original post by hanna23810
Could either of you possibly help me... I'm really struggling to find IDA points to use for the application to education essay?

I've got Culture Bias down for Piaget (collectivist cultures discourage independence yet Piaget suggests independent motivation is important in education, so may not be appropriate there) and Vygotsky (Stigler & Perry found that collaborative learning led to better maths results in Asian schools than American ones, so CL may be more appropriate for non-western schools).

You could also say they're both reductionist, since they only focus on problem solving, yet schools have to also teach social and emotional aspects of learning (SEAL) which neither theory can explain, meaning they can't help understand how other skills develop

I suppose you could also throw in nature and nurture if you were only writing about one of them, but not if you're using both

There's probably other better points out there but there ya go
(edited 7 years ago)
I've got Culture Bias down for Piaget (collectivist cultures discourage independence yet Piaget suggests independent motivation is important in education, so may not be appropriate there) and Vygotsky (Stigler & Perry found that collaborative learning led to better maths results in Asian schools than American ones, so CL may be more appropriate for non-western schools).

You could also say they're both reductionist, since they only focus on problem solving, yet schools have to also teach social and emotional aspects of learning (SEAL) which neither theory can explain, meaning they can't help understand how other skills develop

I suppose you could also throw in nature and nurture if you were only writing about one of them, but not if you're using both

There's probably other better points out there but there ya go

thank you so much!!
Original post by NHM
I think it will be neural/hormonal possibly genetics!

This is for aggression right??
I need to go over genetics again but does that encompass things like twins, adoption and genes like MAOA and DRD4/3??
And neural/hormonal is the serotonin, dopamine, cortisol and testosterone?
I have also learnt evolutionary as I have heard that may also be a possible candidate!
hi guys! What are we thinking on predictions of Aggression, Eating Behaviour and Relationships? Pls help :frown:
Original post by mosahra
hi guys! What are we thinking on predictions of Aggression, Eating Behaviour and Relationships? Pls help :frown:

I think for aggression it will be either genetics or group displays :smile:
Is it wise to revise just the predictions on the three topics?

Anyone out there doing the same lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Guys, can you use more than one IDA per essay?

My teachers always said to us we can only use one but I am hearing people say we can use one or two per fkin essay?
Original post by pentagonath
Guys, can you use more than one IDA per essay?

My teachers always said to us we can only use one but I am hearing people say we can use one or two per fkin essay?

yeah we can use more defo! i find it the most interesting part of psychology so i usually write two IDA
Anyone know what the hell ultimate versus proximate is for IDA evolutionary
Reply 2217
Original post by Tinksy
This is for aggression right??
I need to go over genetics again but does that encompass things like twins, adoption and genes like MAOA and DRD4/3??
And neural/hormonal is the serotonin, dopamine, cortisol and testosterone?
I have also learnt evolutionary as I have heard that may also be a possible candidate!

Yes it's for aggression :-) I've also learnt evo, but think it's less likely
Original post by miajohnsonhall
is nueral and hormonal more likely for aggression,or genetic? im praying for a genetic question ahah

Neural + hormonal is most likely out of all aggression questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2219
can someone please read my a01 for group displays in aggression?

Latest

Trending

Trending