The Student Room Group

Edexcel Government & Politics - Unit 1 06/06/16

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mollyadtr
Do you reckon the impact of pr is practically like asking about the outcomes of the systems just without mentioning the majoritarian systems?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you confident for these exams this week ? you always seem to know a lot. Honestly ive only properly revised this half term
Original post by AllanSmith22
To an extent. You would talk about it in general then give a system as an example whereas outcomes would be the system outcomes as the point not the example

Oh yeah I get whatcha mean, it makes more sense using it as the example as it doesn't specifically say electoral system outcomes, thank you ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are you confident for these exams this week ? you always seem to know a lot. Honestly ive only properly revised this half term

To an extent confident haha I know there's stuff I haven't covered and I can't cover in the time so it's just about luck really, you seem like you know a lot too so how are you feeling about it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by alevelpain
If there is to what extent is there a participation crisis is the 25 marker...what points do you make?

Political party membership fallings
Election turnout falling since '97
I can't think of a third

Pressure groups have eclipsed parties
Corbyn becoming in charge meant 200k new members joined
Elections have been going up recently - 2015 was highest since 97

Please help :frown:
If it's a mark per minute any advice on how to plan? Or do we just have to plan in a matter of seconds:L

Me too, and I've had to balance C2 and M1 these exams aren't going to be fun
To an extent confident haha I know there's stuff I haven't covered and I can't cover in the time so it's just about luck really, you seem like you know a lot too so how are you feeling about it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I feel like unit 2 will be a mess. now that ive gone over unit 1 this weekend i think i can do well. In my opinion politics isnt a subject people can just revise (Theres several people who arent that smart in my sixth form but revise loads and do very well) you have to have not just a good knowledge but also a practical mind. One of the things that annoys me is for instance someone in our class at the start of the year didnt know what labour was. some people dont know some really basic flags etc etc. Thats what im good at, having prehand knowledge rather than revising which i dont do a lot
Original post by AhsanIqbal14
If it's a mark per minute any advice on how to plan? Or do we just have to plan in a matter of seconds:L

What I would do is look at the essay questions at the start of the exam and while you're answering the smaller questions get a plan ready in your head...I know it's multi tasking but I really don't think there's any other way to do it

Posted from TSR Mobile
I feel like unit 2 will be a mess. now that ive gone over unit 1 this weekend i think i can do well. In my opinion politics isnt a subject people can just revise (Theres several people who arent that smart in my sixth form but revise loads and do very well) you have to have not just a good knowledge but also a practical mind. One of the things that annoys me is for instance someone in our class at the start of the year didnt know what labour was. some people dont know some really basic flags etc etc. Thats what im good at, having prehand knowledge rather than revising which i dont do a lot

Yeah I agree it is useful having the previous knowledge, I probably wouldn't enjoy it much if my family knew a lot about politics and are involved unlike some people who don't vote, you're right there's not really a way to revise it you've just gotta keep up to date with what's happening and read the papers (which I don't do but whatever😂)
Unit 2 might not not be as bad as you think! Remember there's 3 days to revise for that one

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AhsanIqbal14

plan now while you still have time ? if you're doing 2 units, chances are one of the questions you planned or something similar come up
Thats what im good at, having prehand knowledge rather than revising which i dont do a lot

no offence but not gonna get anywhere in life if u have that attitude - doesnt matter what prehand knowledge anyone has, what matters is that they learn and revise :/
Original post by popcornjpg
no offence but not gonna get anywhere in life if u have that attitude - doesnt matter what prehand knowledge anyone has, what matters is that they learn and revise :/

Tell me where i said you dont need to revise ? I said its important you have some knowledge and/or having a political/business mind helps
Tell me where i said you dont need to revise ? I said its important you have some knowledge and/or having a political/business mind helps

nah but its just sort of condescending to criticse others for not knowing what the labour party is without learning it, then talking about not doing revision yourself
Yeah I agree it is useful having the previous knowledge, I probably wouldn't enjoy it much if my family knew a lot about politics and are involved unlike some people who don't vote, you're right there's not really a way to revise it you've just gotta keep up to date with what's happening and read the papers (which I don't do but whatever😂)
Unit 2 might not not be as bad as you think! Remember there's 3 days to revise for that one

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know but the range of questions they can ask is scary. one section has so many sub topics whereas unit 1 its only a few
nah but its just sort of condescending to criticse others for not knowing what the labour party is without learning it, then talking about not doing revision yourself

You dont need to LEARN what the Labour party is ? You dont revise knowing that labour is a party
You dont need to LEARN what the Labour party is ? You dont revise knowing that labour is a party

u wot?

no u said u were annoyed at people not knowing what labour is when starting the course.. the whole point of the course is to teach people what it is, so its just hypocritical what ur saying m8
u wot?

no u said u were annoyed at people not knowing what labour is when starting the course.. the whole point of the course is to teach people what it is, so its just hypocritical what ur saying m8

Youre telling me that people who dont do politics shouldnt/wont know that labour is a party ? im not talking about policies or anything. Also you write like a BTEC chav
Original post by alevelpain
If there is to what extent is there a participation crisis is the 25 marker...what points do you make?

Political party membership fallings
Election turnout falling
I can't think of a third

Pressure groups have eclipsed parties
Corbyn becoming in charge meant 200k new members joined
Elections have been going up recently

Just did this question, thought it was a tough one too actually

I did

There is a crisis:
- Low turnouts, even in referendums such as 2011s AV
- Low party membership, I expanded this by saying that it can be attributed to a very widespread trend of a decrease of public trust in politicians in general, and a lack of identification with party politics causes people to become apathetic in politics

There is not a crisis:
- 2001 had a 59% turnout, but the 2015 and 2011 elections had around a 65% turnout, showing a positive trend. Scots referendum had 84% turnout or something. Turnout does not directly affect participation since there are many ways of participating, pressure groups etc
- A lack of interest in mainstream parties mean that pressure group membership increases. Also is good for smaller parties, Ukip had 3.8 mil votes from voters frustrated about immigration

Conclusion:
- There is not a crisis. It is more the case of an electorate becoming dissatisfied with mainstream politics, and choosing to participate through means such as pressure groups instead.
- Also made mention of methods of potential reform. E.g mandatory voting, 16-17 y/o voting. Etc. (unsure if this should be a separate, non conclusion paragraph??)
Youre telling me that people who dont do politics shouldnt/wont know that labour is a party ? im not talking about policies or anything. Also you write like a BTEC chav

no for ****s sake - people who are starting a course arent expected to know things? its great if they do but thats what the course is for. whatever, I don't know how you're not grasping what im trying to tell you

am I writing an essay for you or something m8?
also people arguing over Government and Politics exams is hilarious

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending