The Student Room Group

Aqa comp1 2016

Scroll to see replies

Do you guys think HumanPlayersTurn can be the 'most wanted holder'?
Who's doing Battleships in Python? New spec btw
Reply 222
Hey, just wondering - and these may seem like silly questions- but do you have to copy and paste the program into the answer document?
Also, I'm a bit confused as to the general exam setup. Do we get a printed copy of the examination or is it on the computer? And do we have to print everything out and make sure its in order during the 2 hours?

Thanks
Original post by strata
Hey, just wondering - and these may seem like silly questions- but do you have to copy and paste the program into the answer document?
Also, I'm a bit confused as to the general exam setup. Do we get a printed copy of the examination or is it on the computer? And do we have to print everything out and make sure its in order during the 2 hours?

You don't have to copy and paste the whole program into the EAD, you paste the method you have made changes to for the specific question along with screen captures of the appropriate outcome when you run the program. I believe we get printed copies of the preliminary materials and the question booklet, and we have to print before the 2 hours are up - correct me if I'm wrong.

From looking at the EAD, section B and section C carry more marks than last year, which is good news. Most possible questions have been addressed but I've come up with a few far fetched ideas just in case: employing a timer, assigning colours to the pieces, adding a sample game (like last year's) and saving high scores.
Original post by ollycostello
I have all solutions if anyone needs a last minute hand, only thing would be helpful is if anyone has the solution for quit/skip a turn (in VB.NET), or anyone thought about diffcult part A/B/C topics? Sound sampling is difficult but was last year I think, the variable types are pretty hard in part C also.

Would be grateful if you could send them to me
Thanks
Hey guys, can anyone give me their rough ideas of grade boundaries for this paper? I really need a B so I was wondering how much that would be out of 75?
Original post by andy1342
Hey guys, can anyone give me their rough ideas of grade boundaries for this paper? I really need a B so I was wondering how much that would be out of 75?

Wrong thread, this is for the COMP1 re-sit which is marked out of 100. For the new specification no-one knows where the grade boundaries will be because there are no past papers to compare it to. Not to mention, the exam hasn't been sat yet so no-one knows how hard or easy the questions are.
Original post by strata

Thanks

What I was taught to do was to screencap your code as to preserve the syntax highlighting. You don't need to put the whole code in there, only what they specify.
Guys this may sound so dumb of me to ask but i can't get it out of my head. Is there any global variables in this skeleton code?
Original post by crazyy
Guys this may sound so dumb of me to ask but i can't get it out of my head. Is there any global variables in this skeleton code?

You are not dumb , there are global variables defined above the menu . The Global variable are : BoardSize = 6 ,Choice = "". i suggest you go to the bottom of this wiki page to find more info about variables :
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/A-level_Computing/AQA/Problem_Solving,_Programming,_Data_Representation_and_Practical_Exercise/Skeleton_code/2016_Exam_Resit
Hey guys sorry for being selfish, but is there any possibility someone could message me your vb.net source code with all the possible questions and solutions already implemented? I haven't had much time with all the other stuff outside of school I have been doing and I'm freaking out! Good luck all of you doing the resit!!
Original post by crazyy

I am not aware of any global variables in python. Uusually global variables are declared with the word 'global' followed by the variable. For example:

global PlayerName

Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by uGo1001
Here is 09, 10 and 11. I don't have 12 and it's not on AQA's website either.,

Thanks for these, helped a lot ! :smile:
ur a legend :colondollar::u:
Am i right?
Stepper: Row and column
Most Recent Holder: Coordinates
Gatherer : Score
Fixed Value:
-I think BoardSize is the Fixed Value since ("A variable that is given a value that then does not change for a duration of a loop"), we use BoardSize when we are using a nested loop and is used to constraint the rows and columns.
Column = 1; For Count < = Boardsize , Count + 1.e.g
Original post by KnightCode
Am i right?
Fixed Value:
-I think BoardSize is the Fixed Value since ("A variable that is given a value that then does not change for a duration of a loop":wink:, we use BoardSize when we are using a nested loop and is used to constraint the rows and columns.

Seems to be correct to me, including boardSize.
Reply 235
Am i right?
Fixed Value:
-I think BoardSize is the Fixed Value since ("A variable that is given a value that then does not change for a duration of a loop":wink:, we use BoardSize when we are using a nested loop and is used to constraint the rows and columns.

You have got it all correct
Original post by Filipo
Some more problems they may ask:

- Only allowing the player to pick even board dimensions.
- If the human, or computer can not place a piece down at the very end of the game, during the adjacent move implementation, empty spaces are left. If you would calculate the score in percentages, it would not calculate the empty space and minus it from BoardSize, hence an invalid percentage would be given. This could be a second part to the adjacent move question.

even board dimensions isn't important tbh.

To work out the second part, you would do a nested loop on the rows and column and have a counter which increases by 1 each time it passes an empty spot.
Then minus that from the total amount (pieces that can be placed. Boardsize of 6 = 36, hence 36 - number of empty spots) then calculate the percentage....

BTW how do you work out percentage?
is it just score/total amount board size * 100 i assume?
even board dimensions isn't important tbh.

To work out the second part, you would do a nested loop on the rows and column and have a counter which increases by 1 each time it passes an empty spot.
Then minus that from the total amount (pieces that can be placed. Boardsize of 6 = 36, hence 36 - number of empty spots) then calculate the percentage....

BTW how do you work out percentage?
is it just score/total amount board size * 100 i assume?

Yeah thats what I did exactly :wink:

Percentage is: (Score / BoardSize**2 ) * 100

:smile:
Original post by aelahi23
How's everyone feeling for the exam tomorrow

I'm a bit nervous but at the same time I feel confident that I'll be fine

Pretty crap. I've been focusing on comp 3 so I've done very little for this one. :/
Original post by aelahi23
How's everyone feeling for the exam tomorrow

I'm a bit nervous but at the same time I feel confident that I'll be fine

I'm feeling ok, got the solutions for section D memorised but I hope nothing about sound comes up in section A

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending