The Student Room Group

Edexcel FP2 Official 2016 Exam Thread - 8th June 2016

Scroll to see replies

For the complex transformations.

I am struggling to wrap my head around when I should be using the 'mod' method and when I should be using the conjugate method. (Every hard question I come across seems to need the conjugate method)
Original post by Snasher350
For the complex transformations.

I am struggling to wrap my head around when I should be using the 'mod' method and when I should be using the conjugate method. (Every hard question I come across seems to need the conjugate method)

Use mod method when it gives you the modulus of z.
Original post by Rkai01
So you ignored the squared term since limits of x are close to pi/4 and we are told that as powers increase they become less significant and so can be ignored? where (x-a) and a is approx x.
I think I saw that in a book.

i would have thought that since it asks to the power of 2 in part a that you would also do to the 2nd power in the integral and not just the first power?
Original post by kkboyk
Use mod method when it gives you the modulus of z.

Thanks! That is what I thought. I was only ever taught the mod method and so I had a bit of a shock when I attempted question 6 on the 2014 paper. I think I am happy with the method however the questions at the end of the review exercise are hard as ****
Original post by Snasher350
Thanks! That is what I thought. I was only ever taught the mod method and so I had a bit of a shock when I attempted question 6 on the 2014 paper. I think I am happy with the method however the questions at the end of the review exercise are hard as ****

Once you do a fair few questions, you'd realise that it's very repetitive.

Try some of the last 60 questions from this.
Reply 905
Original post by moonlight123
Use cosine forumla (rearrange for bsquared), then use 1/2abSinC

Hey can you post worked solution please?
Is there a method/rule that should be used for the substitution sections in chapters 4+5 (diff. eqns). I always seem to get confused with what term i need to replace.
Thanks
Original post by Tizzydag
Is there a method/rule that should be used for the substitution sections in chapters 4+5 (diff. eqns). I always seem to get confused with what term i need to replace.
Thanks

If they give you a differential in terms of, say, d^2y/dx^2 and dy/dx and y, and a substitution like x=e^u, you want to find replace dy/dx and d^2y/dx^2. Use the chain rule to find these and sub it into the original differential eqn they give
Original post by kkboyk

are madas maths realistic for our exam?
If given a quadratic equation with the complex number, z, as the variable, and the solution is something like 3+-root(4)

Does that mean z = 3 + root(4)i, 3 - root(4)i. Or does that mean z = 3-root(4), 3+root(4) (i.e. no imaginary term)

REASON: I did a question whereby if you replace z = x + iy, then x = 3, y = +- (root4). But if doing the way which leads to the quadratic formula, you don't get an imaginary term within it
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by kkboyk

Are his differential equation ones worth doing?
Original post by Nikhilm
Are his differential equation ones worth doing?

I personay find them to be better than the past paper booklet on Physics and Maths Tutor. There are quite some good questions on the 2nd order differential equation.

Original post by Patrick2810
are madas maths realistic for our exam?

His question bookets are based on the A-level syllabus, and I found it quite good to build a solid knowledge for my other Maths exams (such as M1-3 and FP1).
Anyone got tips on how to choose the theta values for when drawing polar curves? I have no idea.
Original post by fpmaniac
Anyone got tips on how to choose the theta values for when drawing polar curves? I have no idea.

You want to look for specific values, so if it's r=2cos2theta, it will be a maximum (2) when theta=0, but a minimum when theta=pi/4. Essentially look out for maximum and 0 points, but make sure your r isn't negative and if it is ignore that point.
Original post by kkboyk

His question bookets are based on the A-level syllabus, and I found it quite good to build a solid knowledge for my other Maths exams (such as M1-3 and FP1).

ah ok, is there a way to see the solutions bigger?
Original post by Patrick2810
ah ok, is there a way to see the solutions bigger?

Zoom in and you will see it perfectly.
Original post by Nikhilm
If given a quadratic equation with the complex number, z, as the variable, and the solution is something like 3+-root(4)

Does that mean z = 3 + root(4)i, 3 - root(4)i. Or does that mean z = 3-root(4), 3+root(4) (i.e. no imaginary term)

REASON: I did a question whereby if you replace z = x + iy, then x = 3, y = +- (root4). But if doing the way which leads to the quadratic formula, you don't get an imaginary term within it

The former. It should contain the i. I don't understand your 'REASON' thing, post an example with your working out if you want.
Reply 917
Can someone pls do me a massive favour and give me a worked solution for this step thanks x
Original post by Cpj16
Can someone pls do me a massive favour and give me a worked solution for this step thanks x

It's just noting that sin(theta)cos(theta) = (1/2)sin(2theta) then differentiating normally
edit: lol I lookd at wrong step hang on
double edit: or did I...depends on r what the first bit is
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 919
Hi, does anybody have a link to the January 2016 IAL paper and mark scheme??
Sorry if this has already been posted, I can't find it anywhere!

Quick Reply

Latest