The Student Room Group

Was blocking her out of my life the right thing to do?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by flyingpanda
Why are you actually blocking her? Were you dating and now have just broken up? Is one of you going to Uni miles away? Were there any fights leading up to this blocking?

No fights. I went to her Prom, came back home and realised I had to do it to move on.

We live in different countries.
Original post by cupcakes87
did you bother thinking it through?

I had been thinking about it for a while, yes.
Original post by Anonymous
So what do you think would have been the best solution? I know it's useless to know now, but I'd like to.

I really didn't know what the bigger picture was at the time... I still don't really. I don't really know how she felt about us, what she really thought about me and what she wanted.

I would've personally spoke to her and told her how I felt(whether it would be multiple times or not), if she still didn't get the message then I would look to slowly distance myself away from her, it would take a couple of weeks or months but eventually the friendship would've faded. Even if she spams your notifications, eventually she'll think that she's being needy so she'll stop.
I had been thinking about it for a while, yes.

lol
Original post by BrianMcEgg
I would've personally spoke to her and told her how I felt(whether it would be multiple times or not), if she still didn't get the message then I would look to slowly distance myself away from her, it would take a couple of weeks or months but eventually the friendship would've faded. Even if she spams your notifications, eventually she'll think that she's being needy so she'll stop.

It wasn't a friendship though, we both knew that.
No fights. I went to her Prom, came back home and realised I had to do it to move on.

We live in different countries.

Oh, well in that case, instead of blocking her out so harshly, I think you should explain to her why you think it would be best not to talk.

Just to give her a sense of closure. I think you've ripped away any closure she could have had, and now it won't help her to move on from you, as she's not had much reason for you just leaving her life so abruptly. :h:
I don't think you did the right thing. I have been 'dropped' like that by a guy before and it isn't a nice feeling. Constantly lying awake a night wondering where I went wrong... Okay, this is going to sound really harsh and I don't mean it personally - being that I don't know you, but tbh its your loss. It is very cowardly of you to not discuss the situation with her first. Anyway, it's over now - she deserves better.
Tbh that was harsh and inconsiderate. I mean you could've at least talked to her about it :redface:
It's a bit shitty of you tbh. At least have the decency to tell her you don't want to talk to her anymore, otherwise you just leave her hanging. Sounds like you went to her prom and then she never heard from you again. Very shitty move.
5 Years and you leave without even a goodbye?
Shame on you, son.
Deep down I know it was harsh, I know it was uncalled for.

I really thought I met the one all those years ago. If she was in the same country we would probably still be together to this day.
Reply 31
I thought I could move on by blocking her.

Wow you are really dumb. The girl probably feels like **** coz you blocked her. Talk to her and dont say ''its too late'' coz trust me she probably still wants to talk to you. And you say that LDR dont work, they do work if you both love each other.
Original post by may999
Wow you are really dumb. The girl probably feels like **** coz you blocked her. Talk to her and dont say ''its too late'' coz trust me she probably still wants to talk to you. And you say that LDR dont work, they do work if you both love each other.

Yeah, I am. I would give so much up to have a second chance.

You think she does?

I want to be more than friends - I'm not interested in anything platonic.
Deep down I know it was harsh, I know it was uncalled for.

Perfunctory displays of contrition notwithstanding, anyone possessing even a single atom of compassion would, I think, find themselves hard pressed to be less than unequivocal in condemning your conduct for the unmitigated, abject and consummate moral failure it represents.

So: either accord her the minimum consideration that courtesy and decency demands, namely an explanation which will absolve any misplaced self-doubt arising from your—as yet unaccountable, but otherwise not wholly indefensible—decision and thereby allay a potentially catastrophic blow to her self-esteem; or be forever resigned to the reeking cesspool of wretched, craven, degenerate humanity where you currently reside.

This is an ultimate reckoning of your character and ethical backbone as a man; there can be no third option.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 34
Yeah, I am. I would give so much up to have a second chance.

You think she does?

I want to be more than friends - I'm not interested in anything platonic.

Being together for 5 years is a lot , she probably wants to talk to you. Message her, you might as well try. Even if she doesnt want to talk to you anymore - at least you tried. But i think she probably still likes you and cant forget about you.
I knew her for 5 years.

She invited me to her Prom which was in another country. She told me that a lot of guys had asked her out (she's beautiful and probably very popular at school) but she turned them all down so that she could go with me. She dropped a hint and I accepted.

During the visit her best friend came up to me and said "You have no idea how much she talks about you. I know so much about you already - she can't stop".

I ended up blocking her because I wanted to move on... I knew because of the distance nothing was going to happen... we wouldjust have this long distance thing and it would hurt me.

I've seen her since. She constantly tries to talk to me...

Did I do the right thing.

So you went to prom with her or did you go out for five years. You are light on detail. On the basis of what youve posted then I think your behaviour has been prety rude and poor. There is a big gap.
Original post by 999tigger
So you went to prom with her or did you go out for five years. You are light on detail. On the basis of what youve posted then I think your behaviour has been prety rude and poor. There is a big gap.

We never officially have a relationship. But we did date and we did have a thing.
Original post by may999
Being together for 5 years is a lot , she probably wants to talk to you. Message her, you might as well try. Even if she doesnt want to talk to you anymore - at least you tried. But i think she probably still likes you and cant forget about you.

We weren't together in relationship standards.
Reply 38
We weren't together in relationship standards.

Ohhh right, but both of you liked each other right?
We never officially have a relationship. But we did date and we did have a thing.

So how long and how many dates did you go on?
Did you tell her you werent interested in dating?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending