The Student Room Group

Tips for English Language?

In year 12, resitting AQA English Language exam (the 2h15 one) on Tuesday, in all honesty I hate English, I got a C last year but would like a B just to improve uni applications, my coursework is borderline C/B so I only need a mid-B in the exam for a B overall, which would be nice.
I've done 'some' revision (normally put it off in favor of maths/science), but if anyone has any good tips for the exam (besides timing etc), would be greatly appreciated, such as what sort of points are you expected to pick out, how many per question and such.
The mark schemes are often confusing, as I do maths/science it's quite easy to look at a paper&mark scheme side by side and look at points needed to make and easily go through 6+papers per day if I wanted to, and then these English mark schemes just say "Band 5 - comments are perceptive" and stuff like that, is it completely subjective or is there some way of 'guaranteeing' some marks. I'm often a bit confused when they ask a question what sort of response they actually want, like finding quotes relating to the question is fine but what are you meant to comment on about them, it often just seems fairly straight forward but then you see a model answer and the guy is just inferring things from nowhere.
Hopefully won't have to do this again, I'm awful at essay-based subjects :/

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think the reason why people find English language hard is because they tend to over complicate it and try and analyse the texts the way you would in literature which is not what the examiners are looking for. I'm sitting the exam this year and aiming for an A* so I hope these tips can help you :smile:

Question 1
This question is about making inferences so make deductions and suggestions from throughout the text. Pick out individual phrases and words but don't analyse in terms of linguistic effects, keep it short and simple,

Question 2
This is the headland and picture questions. For the picture, talk about presentational features and explain how they are recreated and supported by the text. Basically, they want to see you can link picture and text and see the correlation. In the same way, pick out words and phrases in the headline and link them to ideas maintained in the text, actively drawing comparison between the two

Question 3
In this question you need to start engaging more in detail, so be more specific about thoughts and feelings and offer alternative interpretations as with feelings there is always more than one way to look at them.

Question 4
This one is the hardest imo. Instead of just listing language techniques, make sure you really engage in how they effect the reader. You'll need to have a solid understanding of common linguistic features so you can actively compare them between the two texts. This is the question where you really need to think deeply about the language, not just make inferences like in question 1. Try to find interesting and exciting quotes where you can really analyse them and offer alternative interpretations as this will demonstrate a good knowledge of analyzing language.

Question 5
I think this question is relatively simple as all you have to do really is put in a load of descriptive writing techniques like sensory and figurative language, imagery bla bla. However your story or whatever it is should flow and have a good structure so don't make it too 'chunky'.I read on the mark scheme that good descriptive writing has a strong personal style so maintain a good tone throughout the writing, and try and remember you want to make the reader feel like they are actually there.

Question 6
You need to write to persuade so again, like in question 5, you need to have a sound knowledge of persuasive techniques to include in your writing. I forgot to mention, as well as just using language devices include a range of punctuation and discursive markers to open your arguments. You need a good structure with varying paragraph lengths, maybe even dialogue, indented sections and all that other stuff. On the mark scheme it does credit that the best examples are those that are quirky and distinct so like if you feel like being sarcastic go for it :tongue: It demonstrates a unique personal style of writing that is liked I guess.

Generally, make sure you keep an eye on the time because it is a long exam but it's not actually that long when you think about how much you have to write, Questions 4, 5 and 6 score the most marks so if you run short of time make sure you write something for these because you will gain most marks here. I cbb to proof read this boring essay but I hope it helps and good luck :biggrin: I hope this has answered your questions too
(edited 7 years ago)
Mr Bruff on YouTube is incredibly helpful. A* guaranteed.
Reply 4
Original post by sapphire79

Ah thank you very much :smile:, often get a bit confused with which questions require just simple inferences and which need you to analyse how they use language etc.
I think the writing parts (5&6) are my weakest simply because I find it difficult to just make something up, like they want opinions and creative writing although I'm more of a closed-minded person so they ask me to make up some situation and I just think whatever I write will look stupid, when it's probably what they're looking for.

Suppose getting a B shouldn't be too bad, bit awkward being predicted A's for maths, further maths, physics&chem AS but still having to resit english GCSE.
Reply 5
Original post by Wolfram Alpha

Trying to get through as many videos as I can before Tuesday, have all of Monday to do so :tongue:, probably going to end up staying at home all day with the playlist on, surprising how many hours of youtube you can get through in a day.
Doubt A* though, just because it's more of a skill, and the people that have that skill do very well in these essay subjects whilst stem people just go over facts&mark schemes and you can guarantee a high grade, rather than subjective marking.
Original post by JN17
Ah thank you very much :smile:, often get a bit confused with which questions require just simple inferences and which need you to analyse how they use language etc.
I think the writing parts (5&6) are my weakest simply because I find it difficult to just make something up, like they want opinions and creative writing although I'm more of a closed-minded person so they ask me to make up some situation and I just think whatever I write will look stupid, when it's probably what they're looking for.

Suppose getting a B shouldn't be too bad, bit awkward being predicted A's for maths, further maths, physics&chem AS but still having to resit english GCSE.

Wow!! See you may find English hard but you're obviously really good at science/maths. I guess I'm sort of naturally good at english but suck at maths and I really want to get an A at GCSE maths which is honestly killing me. Everyone has creativity, and even if you think your idea is dumb you should just write it and I'm sure you will get there :biggrin:I believe in you. Honestly though, in my mock this girl wrote the weirdest thing about an outer space adventure but the examiner loved it and she did really well in the end ^^
Reply 7

Just a shame that some universities require a B in English language GCSE, like Imperial, preferred by Cambridge etc, even for a course on maths, or physics where the skills in English language are never used, so even if someone is very skilled in maths/science, a lack of essay-writing skills just puts you back so far even though it appears to be useless in the future :/

Also for maths just do every past paper you can :tongue:, go over any question you get wrong with the mark scheme (don't know if the exam has actually happened yet or not), luckily I had a very good teacher, even if I didn't realise it at the time, so we had done all the past papers during the year without really noticing it, just one or two as homework every week. Mostly though, because the number of topics is so limited, if you even just remember the answer to one of the hardest questions on that topic it can help a lot during the exam to just follow the method you remembered but with the values you've been given.
Reply 8
Question 1) Always summarise:smile:
Original post by JN17
Just a shame that some universities require a B in English language GCSE, like Imperial, preferred by Cambridge etc, even for a course on maths, or physics where the skills in English language are never used, so even if someone is very skilled in maths/science, a lack of essay-writing skills just puts you back so far even though it appears to be useless in the future :/

Also for maths just do every past paper you can :tongue:, go over any question you get wrong with the mark scheme (don't know if the exam has actually happened yet or not), luckily I had a very good teacher, even if I didn't realise it at the time, so we had done all the past papers during the year without really noticing it, just one or two as homework every week. Mostly though, because the number of topics is so limited, if you even just remember the answer to one of the hardest questions on that topic it can help a lot during the exam to just follow the method you remembered but with the values you've been given.

That's great advice thank you :smile: We have done the non calculator paper, the calculator paper is next Thursday and that's the last time I'll have to do straight maths ever so I am sooooo happy :biggrin: Even though I'm doing A level chemistry which contains maths I'm hoping I wont find it too bad since I'm finding the maths in GCSE chemistry okay.

And yup I agree that actually sucks since descriptive writing is the farthest thing away from a degree in maths or physics :frown: I hope doing a resit wont disadvantage you in any way especially for Cambridge since it's so competitive. Will you be doing the same English paper as us year 11s?
Reply 10

Chemistry AS is fine with maths, you only need to know like 3 equations and every question using them is worded similarly, just put numbers in the formula. Chemistry is much more based on theory, so the hard part is understanding what the question is asking you, and which points will get you marks. There are some areas where its confusing whether you use one topic or another or if its a link between two. Just like maths though, plenty of past papers and it's straight forward. An A in gcse maths is more than enough for the maths you do in chemistry AS:smile:

If it goes well this time, it shouldn't have any effect because I'll have the grade before I apply but if it goes bad then I won't have a higher grade to submit to unis until another resit (if I can be bothered). However I've read through an ebook on the language paper and a few hours of youtube videos and it's kind of sinking in now, the style of writing that's necessary and when to analyse, when not to etc. Also yes I'll be sitting the same as year 11, awkwardly in the same room as them.
Original post by JN17
Chemistry AS is fine with maths, you only need to know like 3 equations and every question using them is worded similarly, just put numbers in the formula. Chemistry is much more based on theory, so the hard part is understanding what the question is asking you, and which points will get you marks. There are some areas where its confusing whether you use one topic or another or if its a link between two. Just like maths though, plenty of past papers and it's straight forward. An A in gcse maths is more than enough for the maths you do in chemistry AS:smile:

If it goes well this time, it shouldn't have any effect because I'll have the grade before I apply but if it goes bad then I won't have a higher grade to submit to unis until another resit (if I can be bothered). However I've read through an ebook on the language paper and a few hours of youtube videos and it's kind of sinking in now, the style of writing that's necessary and when to analyse, when not to etc. Also yes I'll be sitting the same as year 11, awkwardly in the same room as them.

Yup that is awkward and thanks for the reassurance. Good luck for the exam and let me know how you find it:tongue:

Question 3
It sometimes doesn't say it in the question, but always link your ideas back to how they effect the reader. In this question you need to start engaging more in detail, so be more specific about thoughts and feelings and offer alternative interpretations as with feelings there is always more than one way to look at them.

hi, thanks for all your advice I thought it was great - but just bear in mind that question 3 does not require effects on the reader and the examiner reports specifically say not to do this :smile:
Original post by grace143
hi, thanks for all your advice I thought it was great - but just bear in mind that question 3 does not require effects on the reader and the examiner reports specifically say not to do this :smile:

Sorry!!
How did it go guys?
that was easy lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16

Original post by grace143

Considering last year I had done no revision and got around a mid-C in the exam I'd definitely say today's went well, I was at least aware of the sort of things that got you marks rather than aimlessly writing for two hours like last time. Overall fairly confident I got a B overall now :smile:.
Also wrote much more, last year I just wrote maybe a page for each section A and then just a bit more for section B but this time I filled most pages, probably almost double the amount of writing from last year.

Also does anyone know how results day works for resits..? Do I have to come in on GCSE results day just for one qualification or will it be added to my AS one as a separate sheet.
Original post by JN17
Considering last year I had done no revision and got around a mid-C in the exam I'd definitely say today's went well, I was at least aware of the sort of things that got you marks rather than aimlessly writing for two hours like last time. Overall fairly confident I got a B overall now :smile:.
Also wrote much more, last year I just wrote maybe a page for each section A and then just a bit more for section B but this time I filled most pages, probably almost double the amount of writing from last year.

Also does anyone know how results day works for resits..? Do I have to come in on GCSE results day just for one qualification or will it be added to my AS one as a separate sheet.

I think you'll have to come in on GCSE results day because GCSE results are released a week after AS so they wont have your grade yet on your results day?
I'm glad you found it okay :biggrin: Woah...only a page? At least you were more informed this time haha. I thought the paper was nice too and I want to try that slide but he took it down apparently :frown:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 18
I think you'll have to come in on GCSE results day because GCSE results are released a week after AS so they wont have your grade yet on your results day?
I'm glad you found it okay :biggrin: Woah...only a page? At least you were more informed this time haha. I thought the paper was nice too and I want to try that slide but he took it down apparently :frown:

Yeah :/ whilst I can't completely blame my teacher, he was dreadful and let the whole class do what they wanted without any control, so I just didn't enjoy it and winged the whole exam. It's surprising how few points you will pick up if you have no prior revision:tongue:, as well as not knowing what to comment on those points so overall you just end up with nothing to write about.
A trip to his private island just to use a slide:biggrin:, probably more dangerous getting to him than using the slide
Original post by JN17
Yeah :/ whilst I can't completely blame my teacher, he was dreadful and let the whole class do what they wanted without any control, so I just didn't enjoy it and winged the whole exam. It's surprising how few points you will pick up if you have no prior revision:tongue:, as well as not knowing what to comment on those points so overall you just end up with nothing to write about.
A trip to his private island just to use a slide:biggrin:, probably more dangerous getting to him than using the slide

You still pretty good considering you winged it then :tongue: Didn't you think to do your own research on the exam like what you did this year?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending