The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Do we need to know two evolutionary explanations for aggression or is jealousy enough? Theres so much to write for it, I wont have time to fit in another..
Original post by NHM
Again if anyone wants me to mark any of their questions- PM ME

i pm'd you:smile:
Original post by mosahra
hi guys! What are we thinking on predictions of Aggression, Eating Behaviour and Relationships? Pls help :frown:

I think for eating neural mechanisms could come up as that has been tested the least. So for agg they might ask for evolutionary explanations either sexual selection or group display as they are also overdue or genetics?? For relationships i have a feeling it will be breakdown as they have asked evo for relationships in 2014 so.
Original post by SunDun111
Do we need to know two evolutionary explanations for aggression or is jealousy enough? Theres so much to write for it, I wont have time to fit in another..

Jealousy and infidelity is enough so long as you mention as to why it's adaptive. That's the key word that they're looking for according to the mark schemes e.g. Males are more concerned with sexual infidelity and as they may risk investing in someone else's child and being a victim of cuckholdy as they will not be investing in their own.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You need to discuss infidelity also, I include this as part of jealousy - if a make suspects their partner of infidelity, this will lead to jealousy. You also have to know group display
Original post by yung7up
I think for eating neural mechanisms could come up as that has been tested the least. So for agg they might ask for evolutionary explanations either sexual selection or group display as they are also overdue or genetics?? For relationships i have a feeling it will be breakdown as they have asked evo for relationships in 2014 so.

Could be both or either one because they're overdue. With relationships, I'm on the same wavelength. Very likely for breakdown.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It depends on the question. They could ask you group display or sexual jealousy separately as they are mentioned on the spec and have done this previously in Jan 2012 and and Jan 2013. But if they ask for evo in general yes sexual jealousy would be enough
Original post by Hihihi123
I thought you don't use ida in psya4?

The recent examiners reports for AQA say not to include IDAs and they won't score highly if you use them because they don't work well for PSYA4. honestly go look if you want, but don't say I didn't warn you when you score mediocrely.
Guys in January 2011 (ages ago) they asked "Discuss evolutionary explanations of human aggression". Would you write both group display and sexual jealousy because it is plural or am I overthinking it
Original post by yung7up
It depends on the question. They could ask you group display or sexual jealousy separately as they are mentioned on the spec and have done this previously in Jan 2012 and and Jan 2013. But if they ask for evo in general yes sexual jealousy would be enough

Original post by TMC113
You need to discuss infidelity also, I include this as part of jealousy - if a make suspects their partner of infidelity, this will lead to jealousy. You also have to know group display

Original post by nemanuel96
Jealousy and infidelity is enough so long as you mention as to why it's adaptive. That's the key word that they're looking for according to the mark schemes e.g. Males are more concerned with sexual infidelity and as they may risk investing in someone else's child and being a victim of cuckholdy as they will not be investing in their own.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I haven't covered group displays yet, but just evolutionary explanations of Aggression as it says in the textbook, also what do you mean by adaptive?
Original post by yung7up
Guys in January 2011 (ages ago) they asked "Discuss evolutionary explanations of human aggression". Would you write both group display and sexual jealousy because it is plural or am I overthinking it

You can write anything regarding evolution such as group or infidelity and jealousy, so either or both is fine.
I haven't covered group displays yet, but just evolutionary explanations of Aggression as it says in the textbook, also what do you mean by adaptive?

It has to be linked with the idea to reproduce/survive. Think caveman ~ Neanderthal. No emotions, just to reproduce and survive because that's essentially what they're saying we've adapted to become.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Linking to ancestors, and how they faced reproductive problems which ccan explain aggression today, uncertainity of paternity etc.
Original post by Jhbragg1998
The recent examiners reports for AQA say not to include IDAs and they won't score highly if you use them because they don't work well for PSYA4. honestly go look if you want, but don't say I didn't warn you when you score mediocrely.

What is it meant by IDA? I know the acronym but would that be gender bias, cultural bias, reductionism etc?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2254
god damn i was about to cry today thinking i wouldn't be able to do everything and it'd take me 20 hours to do all i needed.....got it done in 5 hours
:danceboy::danceboy::danceboy:

BUT i'm still not sure how i'd go about group displays.....can someone very unambigiously explain the sport aspect of it to me? like, i don't get are they saying that "sport" is an example of aggressive group display and we say why it exists (xenophobia and territoriality being adaptive)? OR, are they saying sport is just a group display and we have to show that it has aggressive components like xenophobia and territorial threat displays and we have to explain the adaptive functions of xenophobia and territoriality?

"Group display" doesn't appear to have an actual meaning, which makes this whole theory the weirdest one for me. I'm sure there's a simple explanation of it all, but I haven't found it. Warfare is pretty easy. You treat warfare as being an aggressive group display and say it exists because it allows more resources and reproductive success. But sport involving xenophobia and territoriality is confusing. I don't get the point of that Hungarian crowd being racist to russians and gypsies study, either.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2255
Original post by nemanuel96
What is it meant by IDA? I know the acronym but would that be gender bias, cultural bias, reductionism etc?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah you can't use IDA for PSYA4
Original post by Im130
god damn i was about to cry today thinking i wouldn't be able to do everything and it'd take me 20 hours to do all i needed.....got it done in 5 hours
:danceboy::danceboy::danceboy:

BUT i'm still not sure how i'd go about group displays.....can someone very unambigiously explain the sport aspect of it to me? like, i don't get are they saying that "sport" is an example of aggressive group display and we say why it exists (xenophobia and territoriality being adaptive)? OR, are they saying sport is just a group display and we have to show that it has aggressive components like xenophobia and territorial threat displays and we have to explain the adaptive functions of xenophobia and territoriality?

Both. So there is the territoriality mindset that sports players has as well as the crowd/fans. Think about the New Zealand Haka as a sign of intimidation to their opponents.

It is also a catalyst as the fans see it as their own territory. Think about away games and reasons why fans might express xenophobic chants.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2257
You can use IDA in PsyA4 for the psychopathology section. So depression, schizophrenia, and phobic disorders. Their exam questions are virtually laid out like PSYA3 exams
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by NHM
Yeah you can't use IDA for PSYA4

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2259
Original post by yung7up

http://wp.me/p7aiLB-gF

Latest

Trending

Trending