The Student Room Group

GCSE Maths Exam Re-take

im in year 12 im trying to get a C in maths through the foundation paper at GCSE, I was wondering if I get the C, is it possible to be put in for the higher paper afterwards to get a B or A so I could get into uni? Do you have to pay to have another exam entry? do they even allow this?
Original post by horanator
im in year 12 im trying to get a C in maths through the foundation paper at GCSE, I was wondering if I get the C, is it possible to be put in for the higher paper afterwards to get a B or A so I could get into uni? Do you have to pay to have another exam entry? do they even allow this?
Yeah, but you'd have to wait till November, and I think you'd have to pay, not sure. But it would be the new curriculum, I believe, which is much harder.

EDIT: I may be wrong about the new curriculum bit.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
im in year 12 im trying to get a C in maths through the foundation paper at GCSE, I was wondering if I get the C, is it possible to be put in for the higher paper afterwards to get a B or A so I could get into uni?

You can re-sit in November (entry deadline 4 October). If your school won't lwet you then you can take it at any other exam centre willing to accept you.

Do you have to pay to have another exam entry

The exam board will charge about £30. The school may add on another fee to cover invigilation etc.

do they even allow this?

Your school may impose restrictions on what they will pay for you to do (or let you do there) but you can re-sit GCSEs and A levels as many times as you want and at any age if you are prepared to pay the fees..
Reply 3
Original post by hamza772000
Yeah, but you'd have to wait till November, and I think you'd have to pay, not sure. But it would be the new curriculum, I believe, which is much harder.

EDIT: I may be wrong about the new curriculum bit.

okay! this was very helpful thanks! :smile: I was doing the higher paper when I started doing my exams but I've had to do foundation now because I failed last year even though I want to try get a B for uni
Reply 4
Original post by Compost
You can re-sit in November (entry deadline 4 October). If your school won't lwet you then you can take it at any other exam centre willing to accept you.

The exam board will charge about £30. The school may add on another fee to cover invigilation etc.

Your school may impose restrictions on what they will pay for you to do (or let you do there) but you can re-sit GCSEs and A levels as many times as you want and at any age if you are prepared to pay the fees..

thanks this was so helpful! Think I might ask about it and see what can be done :smile:
okay! this was very helpful thanks! :smile: I was doing the higher paper when I started doing my exams but I've had to do foundation now because I failed last year even though I want to try get a B for uni
Hmm, you should definitely try the higher paper in November then.:smile:
Reply 6
Forgot to say, you can definitely take the current spec as a re-sit in November and Summer 2017.
Hello, I was also wondering if you achieve a grade A in GCSE Mathematics if it is possible to resit in November 2016 as it is my final chance and try to achieve an A*. I feel I dropped too many marks to now achieve it

Many thanks
Reply 8
Original post by Josh Phillips
Hello, I was also wondering if you achieve a grade A in GCSE Mathematics if it is possible to resit in November 2016 as it is my final chance and try to achieve an A*.

The grade you get does not affect your ability to re-sit. However, your school may require you to pay and may not let you take it there. You could re-sit at any exam centre (+any secondary school or college) willing to accept you as a candidate.

Quick Reply

Latest