The Student Room Group

A2 AQA Geography GEOG 3 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tcameron
You need the 90% UMS in your A2 to get the A*
if you got over 90% at AS that won't be enough for an A if you don't get the 90% at A2

Exactly :/ that's what I'm saying
Predictions for weather and climate - both 40 marker and 25 marker?x
Reply 882
is debt relief a form of aid?
Original post by lulus1

Yes
Original post by cmcl
Do you have any examples/plans of what a 40 marker would look like on planning and management?

With reference to examples, assess the degree to which the level or economic development of a country affects planning and management in urban areas.

It seems horrible but I have an example answer and it includes basically everything; regeneration of slums and urban areas and waste and transport management.
Reply 885
Any help of property and partnerships regeneration would be much appreciated
Reply 886
Original post by lulus1

Yeah
Reply 887
What's the likeliness of trade coming up in the development and globalisation section?
Original post by SJJ97
What's the likeliness of trade coming up in the development and globalisation section?

slim
Original post by L2311
Any help of property and partnerships regeneration would be much appreciated

New Islington Millenium community:
In 21st century - the aim was to create a sustainable community
Partnership with Urban Splash, New East Manchester and english partnerships of Manchester City Council and Manchester Methodist Housing Group
12 hectare redevelopment which was mainy focused on the housing and aesthetics of the area
Right...
I'm going to try to remember all of World Cities case studies and Plate Tectonics case studies in 3 days. I've done Ecosystems to death now. (Luckily I can remember the majority of the theory).

Wonder if I can do it :curious:...
Reply 891
Can someone clarify predictions please
Original post by lulus1
can anybody help with the potential essay:
'Trade is more important than aid in helping countries at very low levels of development to address the challenges they face. to what extent do you agree?'
its very likely as neither trade vs aid or LDCs have come up in a while!

Use the case study of Sudan:

TRADE

In the 1990s lots of trade was low value goods such as cotton &nuts. Sudan had a trade deficit. Production and trade fell due to conflict.

In 1999 Sudan started to export Oil and as a result had the first trade surplus. has become main export and the trade surplus reached $1.4 bn in the first few months of 2011.

The growth of the oil industry has helped development because it brings economic growth and improves international relations ( e.g. trade agreements have been made with the US, Eu etc.)

However, concerns that profits aren't funding development due to corruption.

Still dependent on agriculture- 40% of GDP and 80% of employment. Low profit and unreliable.

High barriers to trade making it difficult for Sudanese companies to make a lot of profit. However, in the process of joining the WTO which will open up a lot of new trade.

AID

In 2007 Sudan received over $2bn in aid. 70% was humanitarian to deal with food shortages due to droughts and conflict.

Sudan receives a lot of food aid- in 2008 the World Food Programme provided food aid to 6M people.

Some aid is used to promote development by attempting to prevent conflicts, rebuild infrastructure and invest in education and health services.

There are a lot of problems with getting aid to where it needs to be due to conflicts and corruption.

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 893
Original post by Pablo Snackbar
Use the case study of Sudan:

TRADE

In the 1990s lots of trade was low value goods such as cotton &nuts. Sudan had a trade deficit. Production and trade fell due to conflict.

In 1999 Sudan started to export Oil and as a result had the first trade surplus. has become main export and the trade surplus reached $1.4 bn in the first few months of 2011.

The growth of the oil industry has helped development because it brings economic growth and improves international relations ( e.g. trade agreements have been made with the US, Eu etc.)

However, concerns that profits aren't funding development due to corruption.

Still dependent on agriculture- 40% of GDP and 80% of employment. Low profit and unreliable.

High barriers to trade making it difficult for Sudanese companies to make a lot of profit. However, in the process of joining the WTO which will open up a lot of new trade.

AID

In 2007 Sudan received over $2bn in aid. 70% was humanitarian to deal with food shortages due to droughts and conflict.

Sudan receives a lot of food aid- in 2008 the World Food Programme provided food aid to 6M people.

Some aid is used to promote development by attempting to prevent conflicts, rebuild infrastructure and invest in education and health services.

There are a lot of problems with getting aid to where it needs to be due to conflicts and corruption.

Hope this helps :smile:

is this from the conflict section?
Original post by lulus1
is this from the conflict section?

It is from the development and globalisation section
Reply 895
Original post by Pablo Snackbar
It is from the development and globalisation section

oh okay! haven't had a darfur case study.. thank you!!
Original post by Peppercrunch
Right...
I'm going to try to remember all of World Cities case studies and Plate Tectonics case studies in 3 days. I've done Ecosystems to death now. (Luckily I can remember the majority of the theory).

Wonder if I can do it :curious:...

be positive yes you can !!
Is there a structure to 8m, 7m and 10m questions and how much do people write for them?
Can anyone suggest some essay balancing case studies of schemes that weren't successful?
Unsuccessful waste/ transport Management scheme
Unsuccessful urban regeneration scheme
Unsuccessful LEDCs at preventing hazard deaths (eqs or volcanoes)
Unsuccessful trade or aid scheme
A case study of unsustainable tourism
A case study of unsustainable economic development
Reply 899
Can someone summarise the Haiti Earthquake 2010 case study for me? I have literally zero notes on it. Also , how many earthquake case studies are we expected to know ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending