The Student Room Group

Why do girls pretend to have ridiculously high standards?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by intelligent con
Someone obviously didn't read the post. This thread is mainly about E STANDARDS, where people claim to not find people attractive who they know damn well they'd **** in real life. When it comes to the real world, despite what they like to make out, their standards drop dramatically. As for your comment on boys having high standards, the majority seem to shag anything they can get and are quite blunt to other boys about their standards being too high.

Ha, okay, don't lecture me about not reading the post when you obviously didn't read my reply. Also that's extremely patronising. Thanks.

Who are you to say anything about whether someone is telling the truth about who they would or would not bang? Why does it make any ounce of difference to your life? I mean, you should really be happy with this arrangement... if girl's standards "drop dramatically" in real life, there might be the smallest glimmer of hope for you getting laid! (:

I understand that you haven't grown up with our misogynistic society telling you that you have to look a certain way in order to comply to our nation's standardised "beauty" ideals, but don't you dare tell me that my comment about girls having to look a certain way is invalid and not entirely backed by years of self hatred perpetuated by the media.
Original post by alaskayounglives
Ha, okay, don't lecture me about not reading the post when you obviously didn't read my reply. Also that's extremely patronising. Thanks.

Who are you to say anything about whether someone is telling the truth about who they would or would not bang? Why does it make any ounce of difference to your life? I mean, you should really be happy with this arrangement... if girl's standards "drop dramatically" in real life, there might be the smallest glimmer of hope for you getting laid! (:

I understand that you haven't grown up with our misogynistic society telling you that you have to look a certain way in order to comply to our nation's standardised "beauty" ideals, but don't you dare tell me that my comment about girls having to look a certain way is invalid and not entirely backed by years of self hatred perpetuated by the media.
How exactly is it misogynistic to promote what people find attractive? It happens with men all the time, not just women as you seem to claim, not because of sexism but because of evolution, hate to break it to you but a landwhale from either sex would not have been a good mate hence why its rightfully promoted as being unattractive in both genders.

Surely if you have an issue with unrealistic stereotypes about female beauty being promoted, you should have the same issue with girls doing the same, which calling guys who are literal models ugly would obviously do. I have a feeling your reaction would be a bit different if guys were doing this to female models (although you might actually approve of it, a lot of "feminists" do seem to enjoy hating on attractive women to make themselves feel better, whatever they try to disguise it as)

Of course this obviously doesn't matter to you since you come across as finding some way to link this thread to new terms you learnt in media studies instead of engaging with the question.
Original post by intelligent con
How exactly is it misogynistic to promote what people find attractive? It happens with men all the time, not just women as you seem to claim, not because of sexism but because of evolution, hate to break it to you but a landwhale from either sex would not have been a good mate hence why its rightfully promoted as being unattractive in both genders.

Surely if you have an issue with unrealistic stereotypes about female beauty being promoted, you should have the same issue with girls doing the same, which calling guys who are literal models ugly would obviously do. I have a feeling your reaction would be a bit different if guys were doing this to female models (although you might actually approve of it, a lot of "feminists" do seem to enjoy hating on attractive women to make themselves feel better, whatever they try to disguise it as)

Of course this obviously doesn't matter to you since you come across as finding some way to link this thread to new terms you learnt in media studies instead of engaging with the question.

I never claimed that it was purely women that were expected to uphold beauty standards - my argument came from the fact that these standards are a hell of a lot less damaging for men than they are for women, and I'm not in anyway diminishing the struggle SOME men have with the way they look, but their individual cases are far outnumbered by the cases of females worldwide.

Thanks for the quotation marks around "feminists", by the way, as the people that would do that would obviously not be promoting equality in anyway and should not be affiliated with people that are actually fighting for equity of the sexes.

And if you're calling me out to fight for both sides of this case, you'd better do it too. How often do you see scabby prepubescent boys commenting on attractive girls' Instagram that they should "wear less makeup" so that they "looked more their age" and wouldn't be accused of being "false advertising"? If this isn't the exact same scenario flipped then I honestly do not know what is. You want to call teenage girls out for exaggerating the truth a little when talking about male celebrities? Don't. Call out the gross 30-something male who calls women sluts and whores when he knows full well he could never get them in his pants.

(Oh, and side note, y'know, since you brought it up - I'm doing sciences and further maths at A Level, not media studies.:wavey:)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by alaskayounglives
I never claimed that it was purely women that were expected to uphold beauty standards - my argument came from the fact that these standards are a hell of a lot less damaging for men than they are for women, and I'm not in anyway diminishing the struggle SOME men have with the way they look, but their individual cases are far outnumbered by the cases of females worldwide.

Thanks for the quotation marks around "feminists", by the way, as the people that would do that would obviously not be promoting equality in anyway and should be affiliated with people that are actually fighting for equity of the sexes.

And if you're calling me out to fight for both sides of this case, you'd better do it too. How often do you see scabby prepubescent boys commenting on attractive girls' Instagram that they should "wear less makeup" so that they "looked more their age" and wouldn't be accused of being "false advertising"? If this isn't the exact same scenario flipped then I honestly do not know what is. You want to call teenage girls out for exaggerating the truth a little when talking about male celebrities? Don't. Call out the gross 30-something male who calls women sluts and whores when he knows full well he could never get them in his pants.

(Oh, and side note, y'know, since you brought it up - I'm doing sciences and further maths at A Level, not media studies.:wavey:)
I don't tend to talk to gross 30 year old males but they're not exactly socially accepted by society, they're usually gross creepy and unable to get girls in their pants for a reason.
Are you joking me? And guys don't?

A lot of guys wouldn't even be friends with a girl that they are not physically attracted to and you think women are the more shallow ones with high standards? Oh okay.
Original post by loveleest
Are you joking me? And guys don't?

A lot of guys wouldn't even be friends with a girl that they are not physically attracted to and you think women are the more shallow ones with high standards? Oh okay.

That is a sexist comment, I mean how dare you label us guys as pigs that only want to sleep around.
Original post by Blue_Mason
That is a sexist comment, I mean how dare you label us guys as pigs that only want to sleep around.

I never said that, I think you misinterpreted.
As they are dreamers in the end they end up been single parents and no decent guy wants them they go out with those so called bad guys then they think they can get a nice decent guy like me to marry them after they have been well used sorry but you have lost your value
Guys have really high standards most guys think girls are only nice if they have big back these days , no big back then girls are rejected in society for those who have a larger bum and thighs, guys have standards of ‘natural girls’ oh ho ya no makeup girls are the best! ‘my natural princess and that’ but are the same ppl who like caked models pics on insta 😂 sitting across from their missus girls like doing makeup in general ,some may do it purely to impress their other half , but when a guy doesn’t get a fresh trim or beard line up girls can’t complain?
Guys have such ridiculous standards too

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending