The Student Room Group

Edexcel Government & Politics - Unit 1 06/06/16

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jjbloomy
Ahaha sorry, wasn't trying to offend. Just read the examiners report for that year and loads of students fell into that trap of just talking about referendums so lost loads of marks. Was just trying to prevent that.

Ah ok, maybe its because that isnt in the AQA spec, never seen a question on that
No, no, don't be fooled. It is not just about referendums, it is about all direct democracy things. I've done this essay plan so here it is:

Direct democracy is a form of democracy that gives the people themselves unmediated control over policy formulation and implementation. Dealing election turnout and the increase in pressure group membership has seen the wider use of direct democracy in the UK.

Direct democracy promotes political participation and combats voter apathy. Citizens juries and referendums make the public more actively involved - increasing political awareness and education. One of the major advantages of citizens’ juries is that, unlike referendums and opinion polls, they operate through deliberation and debate. Participants are not just asked to express opinions. Instead, they are required engage in discussion, possibly assisted by a neutral adviser, and have the opportunity to scrutinise information and even to cross-examine witnesses. Through such mechanisms, an informed and ‘mature’ sense of public opinion is developed. This significantly widens the traditional view of citizenship, helping to overcome one of the key drawbacks traditionally associated with direct democracy.

Direct democracy’s representative feature also saves the electorate from a tyrannical government which could become unaccountable and receive little checks and balances other than in the form of elections. The greater use of referendums limits government power as they have little control over its outcome. Pressure groups activity and public support also restrain the government as they fear to lose electoral support if they do not adhere to the aims of a pressure group. Increases in pressure group membership indicates the electorates need to influence government policy and the wider use of direct democracy could do so.

However, the greater use of direct democracy could also cause concerns. The wider use of referendums means a politically unaware electorate may make constitutional changes with long term and far reaching effects. Referendums also undermine Parliament and the accountability of the government to make informed decisions on the benefits of the people. Government’s control over when and what issues referendums are addressing, as well as influencing campaigns limits is effectiveness. It has been reported that the government have spent £9m on leaflets to every home concerning the upcoming EU referendum. Pressure groups increase political inequality as already powerful sections of society gain influence to government and are unaccountable to the public as they are unelected. The consultation of pressure groups with government also undermine Parliament as the deliberative chamber, not serving its responsibilities and representative features.

Citizens juries only represent a small section of society and are ineffective as government are able to portray the idea of a ‘listening government’ without having to share policy making power.

In conclusion, the wider use of direct democracy should be implemented to give the electorate more power between elections and limit that of the government, but not to the detriment of parliamentary democracy and sovereignty or majoritarian democracy.

nice essay :smile: why does increasing pressure group membership lead to greater use of direect democracy?
Original post by jxssamy
Thanks, I'm trying to find them but I can't - do you have a link to them by any chance?

'More precisely, according to ICM’s survey, 75% of 16 and 17 year olds voted, compared with 54% of 18-24 year olds and 72% of 25-34 year olds. The turnout in all three groups is markedly lower than the estimate for 35-54 year olds (85%) and those aged 55 and over (92%).'

http://blog.whatscotlandthinks.org/2014/12/many-16-17-year-olds-voted/
Original post by BirdIsWord
Ah ok, maybe its because that isnt in the AQA spec, never seen a question on that

Oh yeah, I was talking in regards to edexcel, but still think if it is a direct democracy question from any board to be safe don't just talk about referendums
'More precisely, according to ICM’s survey, 75% of 16 and 17 year olds voted, compared with 54% of 18-24 year olds and 72% of 25-34 year olds. The turnout in all three groups is markedly lower than the estimate for 35-54 year olds (85%) and those aged 55 and over (92%).'

http://blog.whatscotlandthinks.org/2014/12/many-16-17-year-olds-voted/

AMAZING thank you so much!
Original post by tom476zf
nice essay :smile: why does increasing pressure group membership lead to greater use of direect democracy?

due to the increased amount of political protests could be a reason
Reply 946
Apparently 'define strong gov' may be a 5 marker
Original post by xxvine
Apparently 'define strong gov' may be a 5 marker

Really? Seems too vague since strong is such a subjective word...and it seems more unit 2
Honestly what do you guys think is going to be the 25 marker for 1.1 .
My biggest bet is on direct democracy or a question alluding to liberal democracy within the UK.
And I also have some burning questions that nobody has answered yet!
If they say 'Explain and exemplify the various types of political consent? ' What variations? Isn't political consent just giving the government the mandate to govern?
Also since we learnt of many models of representation like delegate and Burkean, which type do we currently have now!
And lastly, I found out that the Tax payers alliance pressure group is an outsider group. Can someone please confirm if this is true or not since I always thought them to be insider since they are constantly lobbying for reduced taxation no?

Thank you very much whoever can help me out. Very much appreciated!!
Reply 949
Outline two similarities between pressure groups and political parties (5) could come up
Does any one know how to answer this question. Explain three criticisms that have been made of referendums
goodnight friends, hope the questions are nice tomorrow, going to get up super early for an early morning cram as always
Reply 953
Original post by Shaziye
Does any one know how to answer this question. Explain three criticisms that have been made of referendums

Cost: AV was 75M of taxpayer's money and could have been used elsewhere whilst our ELECTED rep's voted for it instead.

Social issues can lead to Tyranny of the Majority; a 51% yes result is unfair to the 49% if you see where i'm getting at?

Referendums are likely to be controlled and resourced by elites who have their own agendas; EU 2016 , 2011 AV 'Yes' spent 2.2 million whilst 'No' spent 3.4 million which is unfair
Original post by Shaziye

They can be manipulated by those in power to suit their own needs and solving internal rifts/divisions as opposed to delivering clear democratic needs

Often it is impractical to place an issue in a yes/no format as a referendum requires, issues are too complex for a binary vote/choice

The over-use of referendums can cause a lethargy eventually in the public - apathy and eventual low turnout. Low turnouts can bring into focus the extent of legitimacy provided by the referendum

A referendum rarely has a neutral or unbiased platform. Often one side has more money, more favourable press coverage and finance determines the outcome.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by XiuXiu
goodnight friends, hope the questions are nice tomorrow, going to get up super early for an early morning cram as always

Yooo don't work too hard, if I don't speak to you in the morning good luck!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mollyadtr
Yooo don't work too hard, if I don't speak to you in the morning good luck!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah I'm pretty confident it'll be fine, A2 politics next week is where I'm really a mess ha. Good luck to all
Original post by Shaziye

- they can be manipulated by the goverment therfore strengthen the government of the day.
- the general public may be ill informed on the decisions they are making, furthermore the media may provoke an emotional response.
- sometimes the issue is more complex than simply yes or no. therfore it may be argued that only qualified represenatives should make decisions
- my main one would probably be the they lead to tyranny of the majority. they use a majoritarian voting system so views of the minority are often ignored. ( 2014 scottish referendum, 45 percent voted to leave)

hoped this helped
Reply 958
Original post by Pato1
Cost: AV was 75M of taxpayer's money and could have been used elsewhere whilst our ELECTED rep's voted for it instead.

Social issues can lead to Tyranny of the Majority; a 51% yes result is unfair to the 49% if you see where i'm getting at?

Referendums are likely to be controlled and resourced by elites who have their own agendas; EU 2016 , 2011 AV 'Yes' spent 2.2 million whilst 'No' spent 3.4 million which is unfair

You know your stuff lol
How do you retain all the info lol

What are 3 arguments for referendums
Original post by TySnaps97

The over-use of referendums can cause a lethargy eventually in the public - apathy and eventual low turnout. Low turnouts can bring into focus the extent of legitimacy provided by the referendum

this is a good point will deffo use it thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending