The Student Room Group

Edexcel Government & Politics - Unit 1 06/06/16

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pato1
Textbook says Germany is a pluralist democracy and usa is a liberal democracy

Mine says the opposite, Germany is a liberal and USA is a pluralist
Original post by mollyadtr
No liberal democracy is completely different concept
Democratic is about the democratic deficit and democratic renewal more of but just including the positives of our democracy not just the negatives

And these are my teachers predictions, the democracy one might not be accurate as it has come up recently
However it could come up in another form like with direct democracy or how it helps our representative democracy
Good luck im sure you know your stuff!!☺️ImageUploadedByStudent Room1465158186.650053.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1465158194.815438.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1465158206.832446.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you could you help me out on the answers to those question for democracy and pressure groups please? Im a bit stuck on the 25 marker for pressure groups
Original post by stratagems
What's the format of the exam? They give us three topics and we choose two? Getting so muddled worth history 😑

Yeah two sections ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by popcornjpg
not sure like I said I don't do political parties, but I remember the vice documentary on corbyn say a large number

Ah okay
is constitutionalism an aspect of liberal democracy, also is decentralisation (devolution) ?
how would you answer the impacts of social media on pressure groups as a 25 marker?
HOW SAFE IS IT TO REVISE ONLY 2 TOPICS?
I see that others have asked this question can you guarantee that studying 2 topics is enough (if known in detail)?
Original post by fionacorbyn
how would you answer the impacts of social media on pressure groups as a 25 marker?

That seems way too specific and I say that as someone who worked at a pressure group...
Surely it's more likely for them to ask the impact of social media on direct democracy or democratic deficit?

Separately, in terms of participation and direct democracy - could we argue that Corbyn's initial style of PMQs is an example ("I had an email from Emma about the NHS")?

Elections: impact of using pr for general election

Posted from TSR Mobile

You'd talk about representation of parties under this system, wouldn't you?

I read this earlier: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2015-32601281

It gives an insight into what the 2015 General Election would've looked like if PR was used.
Original post by tom476zf
is constitutionalism an aspect of liberal democracy, also is decentralisation (devolution) ?

I would say both of these are.
Original post by Sarpedon
HOW SAFE IS IT TO REVISE ONLY 2 TOPICS?
I see that others have asked this question can you guarantee that studying 2 topics is enough (if known in detail)?

Personally, I think that's not a great idea, for all we know, the two topics you have revised could have really hard questions to answer which could knock you off. I'd say revise three
Reply 992
Original post by AmmanK1
Just logged in to tell everyone im ****ed for the exam. Hows everyone else feeling?
Iam pretty solid on democracy and reasonably so on pressure groups. Have my notes typed up on elections but i dont think ill go over them as i want to make sure im solid on the other two.- left it really late iv been procrastinating like mfer.
Anyway predicitons on questions for each topics please?
And is to what extent the uk a liberal democracy ? And To what extent is the UK democratic the same thing?

I'm in the same boat! I've left revision so late. Just to confirm - there'll be 4 sets of Q's on each of the 4 topics?
Democracy: direct democracy with referendums or referendums impact with representative democracy

Elections: impact of using pr for general election

Posted from TSR Mobile

great thankyou, not too sure how i feel about them haha
any predictions for the questions about party policies and ideas?
Original post by AmmanK1
Thank you could you help me out on the answers to those question for democracy and pressure groups please? Im a bit stuck on the 25 marker for pressure groups

I have a plan for the pressure groups one but it's just a different question, the plan I've got is for 'to what extent have pressure groups behaviour and effectiveness been affected by social media?' I know it ain't the same but you can still transfer some of the stuff

Participation is modernising:
Party membership, voter turn out down
Single issue participation preferred now rather than ideologies

E-petitions (run by pressure groups NOT on parliament website):
Attracting media attention
Easy to set up
Introducing market forces to pressure politics (supply and demand)
Gov will have to take notice and answer

Flash demonstrations:
Easy to set up, co ordinate eg Heathrow airport expansion
Rapid communication allows effective direct action
Eg fracking

Single issue concentration:
Eg green belt, fracking, zero hour contracts

Mass participation:
E-petitions
Write in campaigns
Demonstrations
Twitter campaigns
Civil disobedience

Trending on social media:
Fast campaigns
Mass involvement
Publicity
Pressure on government to respond

Government communications:
Government own petition site, 100,000 debate in Parliament - two way communication, government responds and is better informed about public opinion on issues

Limitations:
Insiders still have great influence
Internet campaigns may lack authority and veracity
Executive power- they make the rules, decisions
Continuing party domination of the political agenda

For the democracy one they have all come up in the past so you can easily find the mark scheme and plans ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is what Wikipedia has to say:

"Several organisations and political scientists maintain lists of free and unfree states, both in the present and going back a couple centuries. Of these, the best known may be the Polity Data Set and that produced by Freedom House.There is agreement amongst several intellectuals and organisations such as Freedom House that the states of the European Union, Norway, Iceland, Switzerland, Japan, Argentina, Brazil, Chile, South Korea, Taiwan, the United States, India, Canada, Mexico, Israel, South Africa, Australia, and New Zealand are liberal democracies, with Canada having the largest land area and India currently having the largest population among the democracies in the world."
Original post by UKStudent17
You'd talk about representation of parties under this system, wouldn't you?

I read this earlier: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2015-32601281

It gives an insight into what the 2015 General Election would've looked like if PR was used.

Yeah for sure! And what kind of government would be produced and all the other stuff
You'll wanna use some of the pr systems to back up your points too

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fionacorbyn

I've given a plan above on page 50 of you wanna have a look at it 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 999
Original post by sahildusara
This is what Wikipedia has to say:

"Several organisations and political scientists maintain lists of free and unfree states, both in the present and going back a couple centuries. Of these, the best known may be the Polity Data Set and that produced by Freedom House.There is agreement amongst several intellectuals and organisations such as Freedom House that the states of the European Union, Norway, Iceland, Switzerland, Japan, Argentina, Brazil, Chile, South Korea, Taiwan, the United States, India, Canada, Mexico, Israel, South Africa, Australia, and New Zealand are liberal democracies, with Canada having the largest land area and India currently having the largest population among the democracies in the world."

It says US is a liberal democracy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending