The Student Room Group

Edexcel Government & Politics - Unit 1 06/06/16

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fkaclocksx
pretty safe as long as you're solid on the two you have chosen, i done this last year and got a B in this paper hence why im re-taking but you should be fine :smile:

Thank you! In this case, I will stick to two. Obviously everyone knows democracy; which other topic did you revise?
Reply 1021
Original post by sahildusara
Personally, I think that's not a great idea, for all we know, the two topics you have revised could have really hard questions to answer which could knock you off. I'd say revise three

I actually think the opposite

There is only so much they can ask tbh. For unit 2 I would say you have to revise all of them
Original post by Sarpedon
Two thirds F.P.T.P. and one third regional list.

I saw on a mark scheme 57% is FPTP, is this definitely correct?
Original post by alevelpain

I've seen around three proportions...

I'd 100% go by what the mark scheme says though.
WHAT IS FUNCTIONAL REPRESENTATION it came up as a 5 marker a few years ago in the form of:

"
How do pressure groups promote functional representation? "
Reply 1025
Original post by UKStudent17
True. If I remember correctly, the system is 60% FPTP and 40% party list, isn't it?

Nah 56% FPTP
Reply 1026
Original post by tom476zf
for 'is britain a liberal democracy'
would you talk about the democratic elements of the uk such as free and fair elections or would you talk about liberalist principles such as the protection of citizen rights and curbing state power??

Say free and regular

Do not say fair because they are not fair and they are against liberal principles....

Original post by xxvine
Nah 56% FPTP

The mark scheme says

In Scotland and London 56% of seats are filled by FPTP; in Wales this is 67%.

That is direct from Edexcel circa 2009.
Original post by xxvine
Say free and regular

Do not say fair because they are not fair and they are against liberal principles....

ah yes of course then you could talk about the first past the post system as a counter?
Original post by EricAteYou
The mark scheme says

Life saver, thanks
Original post by jxssamy
WHAT IS FUNCTIONAL REPRESENTATION it came up as a 5 marker a few years ago in the form of:

"
How do pressure groups promote functional representation? "

Functional representation is where pressuregroups supplement or add to the democratic process in society.
The mark scheme says

Thanks! :smile:
ah yes of course then you could talk about the first past the post system as a counter?

Better talking about HoL.
Mine says Germany is liberal and USA is pluralist
For to what extent are we a liberal democracy:

We are because HR Act & FTPA restrict the power of Parliament -> HR act protects civil liberties, FTPA means elections are free and fair since set date
Regular elections at multiple levels each contested by several parties

Not because uncodified constitution, not equal votes and recent electoral fraud questions whether they are free and fair?
(edited 7 years ago)
Better talking about HoL.

i understand how FPTP and HOL affect democracy, but not how they affect liberal democracy could someone explain please

Just say roughly 2/3 fptp and 1/3 regional.
for 'is britain a liberal democracy'
would you talk about the democratic elements of the uk such as free and fair elections or would you talk about liberalist principles such as the protection of citizen rights and curbing state power??

Both Bessie free and fair elections are still part of a liberal democracy features
I'd also include freedom of media, limitations on government, having a written constitution, clear accountability lines and so on ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1038

You have to remember the word liberal. It's not just democracy but liberal democracy. Liberalism is all about rights and liberties and gov not being too powerful that they infringe our freedom and rights.

When you say FPTP say that smaller parties who people vote for are under represented like UKIP and the Greens.
You can mention no entrenched bill of rights or
Codified constitution...unelected HOL and head of state.
also could you say that britain is a liberal democracy as we have a parliamentary government which allows parliament to scrutinise the executive and hence weaken government power?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending