The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS/A2 Mathematics M1 - 8th June 2016 - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by metrize
I think you would, you talked about the forces and acceleration in any scenario

i know but the mark scheme talks about size of the surface area of the tennis ball, but how could you know if the surface area of the tennis ball is bigger than the stone?
Original post by KloppOClock
i know but the mark scheme talks about size of the surface area of the tennis ball, but how could you know if the surface area of the tennis ball is bigger than the stone?

Well if he dislodged the stone with his foot it has to be quite small i think, quite vague though
M1 is bad enough without Solomon being thrown into the mix... XD
Original post by metrize
Well if he dislodged the stone with his foot it has to be quite small i think, quite vague though

he might be a massive ****er tho
he might be a massive ****er tho

Yeah exactly, so i dunno
Reply 425
Hi guys,

Which Edexcel M1 papers would you say are the hardest? I've done a few here and there but I do not have time to run through all of them before Wednesday as I have another exam on the same day. I'm currently doing Bronze, Silver and Gold papers and would particularly like to do the previously published hard m1 papers. What do you suggest?
Who's doing all the Solomon papers tomorrow and Tuesday?
Original post by yasx_
Hi guys,

Which Edexcel M1 papers would you say are the hardest? I've done a few here and there but I do not have time to run through all of them before Wednesday as I have another exam on the same day. I'm currently doing Bronze, Silver and Gold papers and would particularly like to do the previously published hard m1 papers. What do you suggest?

Gold 5 is the hardest. If you're on about non-gold papers then I think January 2009 had the lowest grade boundaries as it was a hard one. June 2009 was also meant to be hard.
Original post by particlestudent
Who's doing all the Solomon papers tomorrow and Tuesday?

nearly done em all!
Original post by yasx_
Hi guys,

Try the IAL M1 papers
Can someone help me with this Q? I don't get it at all

r = ro + vt
so therefore t = (r-ro)/v

So t = 12-11j-(4i +j) / 2i-3j

t = 8i-12j/2i-3j

Mark scheme got t = 4 I don't understand :frown:!!
Original post by KINGYusuf
Can someone help me with this Q? I don't get it at all

r = ro + vt
so therefore t = (r-ro)/v

So t = 12-11j-(4i +j) / 2i-3j

t = 8i-12j/2i-3j

Mark scheme got t = 4 I don't understand :frown:!!

(4+2t)i + (1-3t)j = (12i-11j)

compare i or j component

4+2t = 12
2t = 8
t = 4
nearly done em all!

That's good. I've nearly done all theC3 ones, but not M1.

I've only done paper A for M1 and I thought it was quite easy for a Solomon paper. Do you recommend I do them all? Or are there some tricky ones in particular....
Original post by particlestudent
That's good. I've nearly done all theC3 ones, but not M1.

I've only done paper A for M1 and I thought it was quite easy for a Solomon paper. Do you recommend I do them all? Or are there some tricky ones in particular....

eh i think they all generally have the same difficulty, if you dont have time to do them all, just go through the papers and cherry pick the questions you find hard.
Original post by ozzie2
Guys say if I have a question like the one below where they are not separately marked (this was out of 10 for getting both answers) does it matter which answer I get first, e.g. can I find M first and then the force exerted at P or do I have to do the order they give?

(a) (i) find the magnitude of the force exerted on the plank by the support at P,
(ii) find the value of M

Either order is fine, but just label them well.
Original post by tiny hobbit
Either order is fine, but just label them well.

can you get the marks if part of your method is in the previous part of the question?
bumping cuz new page

I did this one recently, that whole question had alot of weirdness....regarding your question yeah I think the answer is nonsense...there are a couple other things that could be put that make sense...

did you get part C?

How can you input 's' as the original distance when it says before it hits thr water?
can you get the marks if part of your method is in the previous part of the question?

Yes as long as you use it in the right part of the question, i.e. do the work in part b which is actually used in part c. But you won't get marks for part d if you do it in part e.
Original post by philo-jitsu
I did this one recently, that whole question had alot of weirdness....regarding your question yeah I think the answer is nonsense...there are a couple other things that could be put that make sense...

did you get part C?

How can you input 's' as the original distance when it says before it hits thr water?

You know the stone reaches the water at 5 seconds, and the tennis ball gets thrown after 2 seconds, therefore the tennis ball has 3 seconds to get to the water at the same time as the ball. So t=3

U=U

You don't need final velocity..

A = 9.8 due to gravity

And you use the exact same S.
Original post by philo-jitsu

did you get part C?

Think of it as just before it hits the water.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending