The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

[video="youtube;myhMnljOC10"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myhMnljOC10[/video]

See at 8 mins 40 secs - I didn't know Coutinho had acting jobs in the past! :colondollar:

Yes :facepalm: this is the kind of show I'm now stuck watching..
https://twitter.com/BelieveInKlopp/status/739390079332945920
Think this is true, don't think they care as much about our club just make profits. Bet you we hardly spend much of the new TV deal, just sell players to make money to buy potential players. We only look to the future, never to the present.
Original post by LFC_fan_321
Think this is true, don't think they care as much about our club just make profits. Bet you we hardly spend much of the new TV deal, just sell players to make money to buy potential players. We only look to the future, never to the present.

How transfer money is spent is only one portion of a club being profitable.

- wages
- money spent on transfers
- net transfer spend

That's ignoring things like how we develop players etc.

FSG have been sensible in running the club for the better medium term future. Spending £200mil on expensive/overrated players today means you then have to fork out another 200mil in a couple of years (see Man City).

We don't have the funds to do that and equally we struggle to attract the biggest players at their peak career. Considering where Liverpool are, it makes sense to buy players who have potential before they hit their peak.

Even last year we spent big on Benteke and Firmino. We tried for Texiera in January too. Hardly FSG looking only to make profits.
Original post by LFC_fan_321

Buying experienced players hasn't worked out so well for us either, we have wasted more money on overrated proven PL players than potential players. Transfers have been a mess regardless of how big or little we spend. I would rather buy potential players who fit the team than proven players who don't. Look at how much we have spent over the last few seasons on experienced players and try telling us we only look to the future.
(edited 7 years ago)
Tbf last summer was the most successful window for a long time.

Firmino, Milner, Ings, Gomez, Clyne.

Got to build from that. Shame two had the worst fairly common injury you can get though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gob Bluth
Tbf last summer was the most successful window for a long time.

Firmino, Milner, Ings, Gomez, Clyne.

Got to build from that. Shame two had the worst fairly common injury you can get though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Origi too (technically) - he looks like an amazing prospect.

Our striking options look very solid next season; Sturridge, Origi and Ings (plus Firmino if required). All four of them know where the goal is and play very well in our system.

The best thing we can do is shore up the defence and use any leftover money to strengthen CM. If we have the option to improve CAM afterwards, that's great, however it certainly isn't essential if we keep old of Coutinho.
Original post by Lúcio
Origi too (technically) - he looks like an amazing prospect.

Our striking options look very solid next season; Sturridge, Origi and Ings (plus Firmino if required). All four of them know where the goal is and play very well in our system.

The best thing we can do is shore up the defence and use any leftover money to strengthen CM. If we have the option to improve CAM afterwards, that's great, however it certainly isn't essential if we keep old of Coutinho.

Yeah technically origi was year before for me. It's just that young player with potential model which is a decent long term strategy but you need quality short term which is kind of what Firmino and Milner addressed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The way I saw this summer transfer window was like Benitez's 2005-06 window. I imagined Klopp would identify two or three key areas, and act swiftly to make incisive improvements (a la Reina, Sissoko et al).

They don't have to elite players. Sissoko wasn't, after all. And neither was Crouch. But both offered a physicality and traits we lacked in 2004-05, and made us infinitely harder to beat on the road, which was much needed.
Last summer was good in hindsight except for the fact that we failed miserably on our most important (and most expensive) signing in Benteke.

Original post by Mackay
The way I saw this summer transfer window was like Benitez's 2005-06 window. I imagined Klopp would identify two or three key areas, and act swiftly to make incisive improvements (a la Reina, Sissoko et al).

They don't have to elite players. Sissoko wasn't, after all. And neither was Crouch. But both offered a physicality and traits we lacked in 2004-05, and made us infinitely harder to beat on the road, which was much needed.

I heard something similar being said on TAW :colondollar:

Klopp's Dortmund were pretty physical and imposing so I think he'll do something similar. Rodgers did sign too many slight players.
Reply 8009
Seems to have gone really quiet on the transfer front, which is surprising as we're likely to be involved in a lot of activity - and were reportedly looking to get things done quickly.

Which players seem to be our number one targets right now? Been noise about Mane, Hector and Dahoud but apart from initial reports there's very little concrete information.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Zerforax

Klopp's Dortmund were pretty physical and imposing so I think he'll do something similar. Rodgers did sign too many slight players.

Apparently Luis Alberto has got even slighter over the past year, too.

Read a profile on him and a fan was saying how he seems to have lost muscle mass after an injury just after Christmas.
Original post by Pn94
Seems to have gone really quiet on the transfer front, which is surprising as we're likely to be involved in a lot of activity - and were reportedly looking to get things done quickly.

Which players seem to be our number one targets right now? Been noise about Mane, Hector and Dahoud but apart from initial reports there's very little concrete information.

With the Euros looming, I don't think it has helped the cause. I imagine we're trying to target a few players but they want to wait to see if any other offers come along after the Euros where they can showcase their talent?

Who knows.. maybe we can now keep some information quiet?

Original post by Mackay
Apparently Luis Alberto has got even slighter over the past year, too.

Read a profile on him and a fan was saying how he seems to have lost muscle mass after an injury just after Christmas.

You'd expect he'll get sold this summer for whatever fee we can get..
Klopp has done well with finding the mole at the club, now it's so much harder to find out accurate information. I have a feeling we'll have a signing or two to announce after the Euros.
Hmm interesting in respect of our defence

- Mignolet: gone to the Euros as backup GK but he's **** so who cares
- Karius: not in Euro squad as Germany have too many quality GKs
- Matip: Camaroonian so no Euros for him (will go to AFCON in Jan)
- Sakho: was declared eligible for the Euros but not included in France squad as too late
- Lovren: fell out with Croatian coach so not included in the squad for the Euros
- Moreno: not included in Spain squad for obvious reasons
- Clyne: gone with the England squad

So actually Klopp will have extra time with most of our backline to try and sort out our defensive issues. Obviously he needs to decide about another LB and what we're doing with RB (but Flanagan and Gomez not traveled either).
HIGUAIN

Spoiler

Original post by BigWillow
HIGUAIN

Spoiler

Even without taking into account the lack of decent strikers and how insane their transfer fees are at the moment, I can't see us buying a striker when we have Sturridge, Origi, Ings and Firmino and no European football..
Even without taking into account the lack of decent strikers and how insane their transfer fees are at the moment, I can't see us buying a striker when we have Sturridge, Origi, Ings and Firmino and no European football..

Don't forget Benteke! In all seriousness though I agree with you, although I tend to see Firmino as a number 10 as opposed to a striker and he only played there when we wanted to play a "false 9" in some big games.
I would rather see us address the issues that are most prominent before going after luxury players like him, which Klopp has already taken some steps towards, which is good to see.
Don't forget Benteke! In all seriousness though I agree with you, although I tend to see Firmino as a number 10 as opposed to a striker and he only played there when we wanted to play a "false 9" in some big games.
I would rather see us address the issues that are most prominent before going after luxury players like him, which Klopp has already taken some steps towards, which is good to see.

Well I expect us to sell Benteke and Balotelli. I think Yesil is off this summer too.

Firmino had some decent numbers up front but I'd agree that he doesn't offer enough up front to get the ball to stick (not enough presence and passing can be wayward) but 4th choice isn't terrible. Klopp seems to favour playing 1 striker so we shouldn't need to see Firmino there much.

Didn't Milner play as striker for Man City in a handful of games? :colondollar:

Leftback, central midfield and pacey winger/attacking player seems to be the next 3 obvious places to strengthen.
Well I expect us to sell Benteke and Balotelli. I think Yesil is off this summer too.

Firmino had some decent numbers up front but I'd agree that he doesn't offer enough up front to get the ball to stick (not enough presence and passing can be wayward) but 4th choice isn't terrible. Klopp seems to favour playing 1 striker so we shouldn't need to see Firmino there much.

Didn't Milner play as striker for Man City in a handful of games? :colondollar:

Leftback, central midfield and pacey winger/attacking player seems to be the next 3 obvious places to strengthen.

I actually completely forgot about Balotelli, but yeah hopefully he goes with Benteke.
Also I have no idea about Milner, I was actually surprised last season when his best work came out wide, thought he would play centrally tbh..
I actually completely forgot about Balotelli, but yeah hopefully he goes with Benteke.
Also I have no idea about Milner, I was actually surprised last season when his best work came out wide, thought he would play centrally tbh..

I just don't think Milner offers enough as a CM. I know he joined on the promise from Rodgers to play CM but Klopp will say he's not tied to that promise. Milner is a weird one.. would usually be 6th or 7th choice for the 5 central/attacking positions. Great to have in the squad but not sure when he'll get annoyed about that?

Latest