The Student Room Group

STEP Prep Thread 2016 (Mark. II)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zacken
Q1: lol nope

Really? I vaguely remember doing that question in my own mock back in the day and I don't think it was all that bad.
Reply 461
Original post by JosephML
Really? I vaguely remember doing that question in my own mock back in the day and I don't think it was all that bad.

I'm sure it isn't but it just looks so tedious. I know I'm gonna miss out a case or w/e in the sum and get the wrong coefficient a hundred times before I get it right. I'm horifically bad at those sort of problems. The rest of the questions on the paper were a treat, though (bar Q2, which I did but wish I didn't)
Original post by Zacken
Q1: lol nope.
Q2: Serious? What is this algebra ****ery.
Q3: Nice and easy, last part is trickier than it looks.
Q4: Nothing to write home about.
Q5: Again? What is with the algebra in this paper...
Q6: Lovely 10 minute-er if you can see where to go.
Q7: Annoying algebra, but surprisingly accessible for a vectors question.
Q8: Nice little sequences question, can't go wrong with it.
Q9: Standard projectiles equations and inequalities.
Q10: Haven't done.
Q11: Lovely mechanics question. Loved it.
Q12: Last bit was annoying, but first few bits were actually okay.
Q13: Anybody who didn't do this missed out big time, it's only a few lines of work and takes about 5-10 minutes for 20 marks.

Nice.

Spoiler

Reply 463
Original post by 16Characters....
Nice.

Spoiler

Nice, looks like the mock went well. Well done. :woo: Let me know how you find the others.

As an aside, how do you feel about printing papers? Do they help add to the realism of the mock? I've been mising off on not printing them so far.
Original post by Zacken

I love the first line of q 13 XD Thatd be the thing that attracts me to it
Original post by Zacken
Nice, looks like the mock went well. Well done. :woo: Let me know how you find the others.

As an aside, how do you feel about printing papers? Do they help add to the realism of the mock? I've been mising off on not printing them so far.

Thanks.

For me, yes. I heavily annotate exam papers so it helps to be able to practice that before "the day". But other than that I don't think it adds anything (but it does remove the distraction of the computer, albeit at a cost of paper and ink).
Merci.

Anyone else done II 2012. If so, what did you think about it?

I think it is 'standard' as they would say.
I did the integration ,Q2(fukin hell algebra), cyclic quads, mechanics projectiles, and sequences. Can't remember what my no. 6 was. Easiest was probably the cyclic quad or the projectile one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
I think it is 'standard' as they would say.
I did the integration ,Q2(fukin hell algebra), cyclic quads, mechanics projectiles, and sequences. Can't remember what my no. 6 was. Easiest was probably the cyclic quad or the projectile one.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I haven't done the cyclic quadrilateral one yet. STEP geometry always kind of scares me. Seems like people seem to agree about Q2.
Reply 468
Thanks.

For me, yes. I heavily annotate exam papers so it helps to be able to practice that before "the day". But other than that I don't think it adds anything (but it does remove the distraction of the computer, albeit at a cost of paper and ink).

Ah, that's a good tactic. I've never done it myself. What sort of annotations do you do?
I haven't done the cyclic quadrilateral one yet. STEP geometry always kind of scares me. Seems like people seem to agree about Q2.

It does look scary but I promise it is not as bad as it looks. It is just a proof of Heron's formula/ brahmguptas formula for cyclics? I think it was brahmgupta who first got the cyclic quads area formula.
Original post by Zacken
Ah, that's a good tactic. I've never done it myself. What sort of annotations do you do?

After you do III 2015 I will send u gawains(he got like 115 or something like that) annotations on his III paper.
They were nice and his annotations would have helped him quite abit in the exam.
Original post by Zacken

It is not maths related, just to avoid some common mistakes I make e.g. misreading functions or values, or missing out a part of a question hidden in a block of text.

It does look scary but I promise it is not as bad as it looks. It is just a proof of Heron's formula/ brahmguptas formula for cyclics? I think it was brahmgupta who first got the cyclic quads area formula.

Well, I shall try it tomorrow. I remember an earlier question proving Heron's formula and then something to do with a sphere sititng in a triangular hole. I liked that question.
Reply 472
After you do III 2015 I will send u gawains(he got like 115 or something like that) annotations on his III paper.
They were nice and his annotations would have helped him quite abit in the exam.

Yeah, I remember having a look at them last year when he uploaded the paper. They looked lovely, I wish I would be able to do stuff like that. :lol:

They should ask Bretscheider's formula next :wink:

Tbf I didn't find Q2 that nasty in terms of algebra.
And try the geometry Q, I had done the proof a year in advance so it was extremely easy but I'd still say that it's a very easy Q nonetheless.
It is not maths related, just to avoid some common mistakes I make e.g. misreading functions or values, or missing out a part of a question hidden in a block of text.

Well, I shall try it tomorrow. I remember an earlier question proving Heron's formula and then something to do with a sphere sititng in a triangular hole. I liked that question.

I remember that Q too, it was very nice :smile:.
A little scared how I managed to remember the exact year, paper and number that Q was though. I swear my brain is nothing more than an encyclopedia of STEP questions now.
Original post by IrrationalRoot
They should ask Bretscheider's formula next :wink:

That would be nice!
Imagine if it comes up.

What kind of annotations does he do? Is it worth to print the 2015 past papers and annotate them during the mock as prep for real exam or do they not make that much of a difference? I don't even know what you mean with "annotations" but yeah. Do you annotate? I hope this is not some kind of usual thing good STEP candidates do as exam technique since I have never even printed the papers when doing them lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 478
Original post by Insight314
What kind of annotations does he do? Is it worth to print the 2015 past papers and annotate them during the mock as prep for real exam or do they not make that much of a difference? I don't even know what you mean with "annotations" but yeah. Do you annotate? I hope this is not some kind of usual thing good STEP candidates do as exam technique since I have never even printed the papers when doing them lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ljag5a221el8wsh/step%20iii%202015.pdf?dl=0
Original post by IrrationalRoot
I remember that Q too, it was very nice :smile:.
A little scared how I managed to remember the exact year, paper and number that Q was though. I swear my brain is nothing more than an encyclopedia of STEP questions now.

Haha. That happened to me the other day. I was discussing something with my teacher and I just said "STEP III 2011 Q5 for a proof."

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending