Original post by KloppOClock
i thought i answered that before?

That's a diff one, ty for the other :smile:
Original post by KINGYusuf
Anyone?

What's the question?
Anyone?

Find the vector for getting from r0 to r. Work out its magnitude. Compare this with 4, e.g if the magnitude was 12 (which it isn't) the time would be 12/4 = 3.
Original post by Zacken
What's the question?

This
Original post by tiny hobbit
Find the vector for getting from r0 to r. Work out its magnitude. Compare this with 4, e.g if the magnitude was 12 (which it isn't) the time would be 12/4 = 3.

it's 2.5
it's 2.5

Its because the speed is not a vector....so you find the length between points.... -2 and 6 is 8...and -3 and 3 is 6....do pythagorus and distance is 10....at 4ms it takes 2.5 seconds
You know the stone reaches the water at 5 seconds, and the tennis ball gets thrown after 2 seconds, therefore the tennis ball has 3 seconds to get to the water at the same time as the ball. So t=3

U=U

You don't need final velocity..

A = 9.8 due to gravity

And you use the exact same S.

Thanks,,,,I get that but its just the wording of the question, it doesnt say it collides 'just' before hitting the water....it just says before...so the distance travelled could be much less....which gives an extra variable.

The wording in some mechanics questions are a little confusing
Original post by philo-jitsu
Thanks,,,,I get that but its just the wording of the question, it doesnt say it collides 'just' before hitting the water....it just says before...so the distance travelled could be much less....which gives an extra variable.

The wording in some mechanics questions are a little confusing

yh i know what you mean, but its saying whats the minimum starting speed it can start at so that it still collides before it hits the water. Sure it could go faster and collide before the water, but you want to know the smallest value, which means the colission will just happen as it collides with the water
Original post by tiny hobbit
Think of it as just before it hits the water.

Yeah I guess...I just dont think we should be expected to presume things like that...the question says before, which could be at any time before so distance varies.

With mechanics questions sometimes expecting you to answer in terms of variables such as U or h, I try not to presume the distance is the same, but anyway cheers :-)
yh i know what you mean, but its saying whats the minimum starting speed it can start at so that it still collides before it hits the water. Sure it could go faster and collide before the water, but you want to know the smallest value, which means the colission will just happen as it collides with the water

Oh damn...thats it, minimum, crap didnt catch that...thank you thats been bugging me for days!
Oh damn...thats it, minimum, crap didnt catch that...thank you thats been bugging me for days!

no problem, but remember these are solomon papers, edexcel questions are a lot more straight forward to understand.

... unless your doing AQA then good luck!
For questions involving combined particles, like lifts how do you know which forces to use to find the resultant and whether you use the total mass of the system or just the mass of the lift?
Thanks
Original post by Tizzydag
For questions involving combined particles, like lifts how do you know which forces to use to find the resultant and whether you use the total mass of the system or just the mass of the lift?
Thanks

can you give an example of a question? normally the question tells you
no problem, but remember these are solomon papers, edexcel questions are a lot more straight forward to understand.

... unless your doing AQA then good luck!

No edexcel...is aqa harder? I heard the core exams are easier for AQA?

Yeah hoping they are straight forward, Im doing physics so I shouldnt be struggling with M1 this much, I just find because of physics I fly through the majority of questions without thinking, then a difficult question comes up and I miss something as simple as the 'minimum' velocity...its worrying lol
No edexcel...is aqa harder? I heard the core exams are easier for AQA?

Yeah hoping they are straight forward, Im doing physics so I shouldnt be struggling with M1 this much, I just find because of physics I fly through the majority of questions without thinking, then a difficult question comes up and I miss something as simple as the 'minimum' velocity...its worrying lol

i wouldn't say harder, just a lot more wordier. The thing with M1 tho, is that if you make a tiny mistake in your calculator, you can lose a lot of accuarcy marks in the big questions
On a side note, does anybody know what ums you need for an 'A' grade overall after a2 maths. I think its 480/600 but was wondering if there are any other conditions, like the 90% on c3,c4 to get an A*
Original post by Tizzydag
On a side note, does anybody know what ums you need for an 'A' grade overall after a2 maths. I think its 480/600 but was wondering if there are any other conditions, like the 90% on c3,c4 to get an A*

Anything other than an A* is the straightforward 'get 80% of total UMS for A, 70% for B... etc'.
M1 June 2013 --> 59/75 = 85% = A.
I felt I honestly deserved a lot more marks due to the areas where I slipped up. :argh: It was a easy paper with extremely low grade boundaries A* = 62, A = 56, B = 50, C = 44.

Mistakes & tips for future past papers:
- Moments: Draw a 2nd diagram for moments as-well as in general and refer back to reading the original question context. When finding distance of e.g AB in moments consider what lengths are already given then do (X- what ever length is further beyond it to give you AB *look back at question paper for reference*) = -5 marks lost on Q6 which I could have easily got.
- Vectors: When finding vectors parallel to (i, k) components refer back to the original position vectors given and write them in column forms and compare the i + j components. Also, if something is parallel to another vector its just a scale factor so put 'Lamba' or 'Mew' and just rearrange/sub the i/j component into each other. ----> -3 marks lost

I'll be recording every past paper score that I do and my overall notes/opinion on that past paper.

Past papers completed = 4/11. (edexcel regular + edexcel IAL)
[excluding x2 MAM pp + MAM Q's/Examples on topics I'm dropping marks on @ day before exam]

Spoiler

Q) Can somebody clarify whether what I said in the Vector notes I wrote above are correct in terms of my thinking/reasoning if its correct.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending